Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible for the post-op degrees of your curves to get better after time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible for the post-op degrees of your curves to get better after time?

I had my 1st post-op visit with Dr. Boachie at 4 weeks and don't go back again until 5 months, which will make my 2nd post-op visit in December. My original curves were 55 and 58 degrees. At 4 weeks when he measured them, they were 25 and 27 degrees. I was just wondering if when I go back and see him in December, is it possible that the degrees of the curves may decrease a little more since the 4 week post-op visit? Did this happen to anyone? I read some older posts going back a few years and saw that it happened to a few people but just wanted to check with you folks. I did not have a thoroplasty (rib removal) during surgery so I can still feel my rib hump. When I sit all the way up against the back of a chair, I can still feel the hump. It's not at all large like it used to be but it is still there alittle. I am kind of disappointed because I wanted it to totally disappear, but it didn't. Dr. B said thoroplasties are very painful and he'd rather not give me one. I didn't want one at the time either since it sounded way too painful! My husband says it looks fine, and no one will ever know. I see alot of people on the forum got better corrections than me, so I'm wondering if I have a chance at all for my curves to go down alittle more.

Thanks!

JenM
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

That is a good question Jen. What I wonder if my "crooked" look will ever go away. I look in the mirror and do not look any different, if not worse than pre-surgery. I think I have heard in other posts the body will straighten out more over time. I not sure if the curve actually improves. Either way I just hope to "even out" soon!
    Janet
    36 year young cardiac RN
    old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
    new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
    Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
    Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
    and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Working...
    X