Stitched, stapled or glued?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stitched, stapled or glued?

I just read Vali's post where she said her incision was glued.

I think mine must have been glued also, though I can't remember anyone saying, but I had no stitches or staples. When I showed a visitor my incision which was left uncovered from day 3, she was amazed that it was closed over and no sign of stitches.

Just wondering why some surgeons use staples or stitches or glue.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Great question! I just had surgery with Dr. Boachie on June 8. I didn't have any staples and pretty sure no stitches. Everyone was also amazed at how my back looked at day 3. I guess I was glued?? I have no idea. Or, hmmm, now I'm thinking I may have been stitched but they were internal since I didn't have to go back and get them ripped out. I do remember though my visiting nurse at home was ripping off the little steri-strips that remained on my back at 2 weeks post-op.

JenM
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

I know a lot of docs do what is called a running stitch just under the skin. This stitch is disolvable. If the incision were glued, I would think you would see the glue, as it would tend to peal off. I'm not sure what method most docs use for scoli surgery as I haven't had mine, yet. I have had other surgeries, though.
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

I had internal stitches and steri strips. I had one real stitch at the top or the bottom, I can't recall. My scar looks very good now.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Running stich just under the skin for the first surgery and staples for the second.

Comment

I had surgical glue for my 2 surgeries. It doesn't peel off. It is used for alot of surgeries including joints, heart surgeries etc. There is nothing to remove.
            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

There's glue and there's glue...!

I've had glue used closing surgical incisions (kind of like crazy glue - only on skin) but for deformity surgery, I was recently told one surgeon, is considering using glue on the bone itself. This must be a completely different kind of glue, though - not what you're asking about here, right?

Think I'll ask about that bone glue in another thread, now that I think of it.

As far as the kind that replaces stitches goes, I'll just observe that the closures I had using "skin glue" left me with the only unsightly scars I have anywhere - gaping white wedges. (They're on my lower legs - residue of what was to have been largely cosmetic varicose vein surgery. HA! That showed me )

Don't anyone worry their pretty little heads about it, though, as
              a) this was well over a decade ago and (most of all)
              b) these (vascular) surgeons were the worst I ever encountered - ANYWHERE. None of their results are representative of any State of the Art practice, in any way shape or form.

Or for that matter, any NON State of the Art. Besides that their anesthesiologist almost killed me, I don't think they could have done worse on the closure if they HAD used super glue, except that the Walmart product is (probably) more toxic. Boy Scouts improvising on the trail could have done better with Scotch tape. 'Scuze venting abt a painful recollection I relive very time I shave my legs...

I think the right product used right is a wondrous breakthrough.
              Last edited by Back-out; 08-02-2010, 07:00 PM.
              Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
              Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
              main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
              Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

It's interesting the different approaches. I had some dissolvable internal stiches, but about 25 staples. The staples were then removed about 10 days later. Was not given an option for closure.
                Shari - 55 years old
                Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
                Post op 13 degree curve.
                Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
                2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
                Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
                www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

I had 147 staples (which I saved when my PCP removed them at 2 1/2 weeks) posterior and internal dissolvable stitches in the caeserian incision. I deferred to Dr. K's preferences. Both incisions have healed nicely.
                  Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
                  Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
                  Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
                  A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
                  Achieved +70% Correction
                  Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
                  New Spine 03/19/2009
                  New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

My surgeon used dizable sichtes so he didn't have to take them out
                    Kara
                    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                    T4-L2
                    Before 50T
                    After 20T

Comment

Hi all, just thought that some clarification was needed. The deeper layers are not glued. They still are sutured. It is only at skin level that the surgical glue is used. Sorry if i caused any confusion.
                      Vali
                      44 years young! now 45
                      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                      Post -op - 5 degrees
                      T11 - S1 Posterior
                      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Working...
                      X