surgery or not????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery or not????

hi, my name's laura, i'm 16, and i've had a brace for about.... 2 1/2 years. Now i only have to wear it at night (although i've been slacking but i have question. i've been having back pain (lower back area), when i get up in the morning it is the worst. i thought it was cause i haven't been wearing my brace, so i started wearing it again. but it still hurts so, people that have had surgery, i want your opinions:

1. i'm in marching band, is that considered a sport? how long would i have to wait before i could march?
    2. would i be "stiff" for the rest of my life??? that's my main concern....
    3. Do you have back pain for a LONG time later (like years and years?)

i'm just worrying that if i don't get surgery, i'll end up a crippled old lady with back pain

but i'm also worried that if i do get surgery, i'll be a cripppled old lady who can't bend over

another question... is laser surgery even an option??

thank you everyone!

Hi Laura,
    The back pain that you have can be caused by a lot of things. Even the mattress that you sleep on. You really need to get it checked out by a doctor.
    How 'stiff' you end up really depends on where your fusion is. That is determined by where your curves are. Most surgeons don't operate until the curves are around 50* or more. In Australia it is around 60*.
    You should still be able to march but I don't how long it would take to get back into it.
    My daughter had her sugery almost 6 months ago and doesn't have too much pain now.
    No laser surgery isn't an option as they need to physical move things and add 'hardware'.
    What degree are your curves? What has your doctor said about surgery? Has the brace helped at all?
    Best wishes.
    Cheryl.

Comment

my curves were about 35 when i first got the brace, it is an S-shaped curve, but i have no idea what it is now. the doctor said i didn't have to wear it once i stopped growing, which is hopefully now, cause i'm about 5' 10". last night i stretched my back a lot before i put my brace on and it seemed to help in the morning... thanks for your help

Comment

An average guide to when you have stopped growing is about 2 years after your periods become regular. The doctor can measure more accurately from the x-rays, but it is a pretty good guide. Maybe you could try yoga or pilates to stretch and strenghten your back. It may help your pain and would be good for the rest of you anyway. You need to have the degree of the curves checked reasonably regularly. That way you will know if the brace is working or not and if you may end up needing surgery. Not every one does.
        Cheryl.

Comment

Working...
        X