Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update from Lynette

Hi everyone,

I'm really sorry for not being on here supporting you - with my sons being home from school during the summer, I have very little time to go online, and typically during the summer they don't go to bed till about 10pm when there is no school, so then I go to sleep once they're in bed.

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing fantastic, one day when I have time I will read everyone's updates.

I received a private message from Amanda, and I thought I'd answer those questions on here - as I always have problems with private messages for some reason.

My back is doing fantastic, and I give thanks to God and my fantastic surgeon for the way I feel. I remain very active, every day I exercise whether it is walking, swimming, or weight training, it's always one of those. I feel that helps me stay flexible and strong.

My legal case with my ex is still haunting me, however, I take each day as it comes. I'm sure that till my sons are 18 that - unless I win the Powerball or Lottery, I will have ongoing issues with my sons father. Nevertheless, I don't let that get me down, I realize he is the one with the issues, my biggest fear, which is a lot of peoples fears, is managing financially from week to week.

I now have my house on the market, so please God if I can sell my house soon, I hope to then downsize and pay off all my debt, that would be wonderful.

Career wise, I am absolutely thrilled to say, that I practiced massaging my son one day, and I had no pain. So then, I called up my former massage teacher, to see if I could practice on him. I knew he would give me great feedback. Well, guess what, I massaged him for two hours, deep tissue massage, and I had NO PAIN. So I am thrilled to say, that I will be continuing on with my massage career. But first, I am starting school August 23rd for six months to get licensed as an esthetician also, that way I'm hoping to get in to one of the high end spas. Apparently they look for dual licensed people way quicker than just a regular LMT (Licensed Massage Therapist). So keep your fingers crossed for me that I can obtain a great career after all this, that way I could be financially independent and not so reliant on my former husband.

I am able to do a lot more with my sons, but I still can't run, I kind of knew that I wouldn't be able to run, but I can deal with that. Everything else I can do, the huge thing is that I can walk for hours, stand for long periods of time, swim with them in the pools playing games, cook in my kitchen for long periods of time, which I couldn't do prior to surgery.

My leg is way better than it was, I can walk normally and have been able to do that since my hypnosis session. However my leg is still a little limited when it comes to stretching it, and it's slightly weaker when doing certain physical therapy with standing on one leg etc. So it's not completely better, however, I just hope and pray over time it will continue to improve. As long as I'm not in pain and not limping from the leg anymore, then I'm happy.

So that's my update. I miss keeping in touch with you all, however I will get on here and read your updates whenever I can.

Gotta go make my sons breakfast now, thanks Amanda for asking how I was doing.

Love Lynette.
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Lynette,

I am so happy to hear how well yo are doing. But remember, as good as you think you are feeling at not even 4 months, you will feel so much better as time goes on. I'm not quite 2 years, and right now I'm 100 times better than I was last summer.

Enjoy the summer with your boys,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Excellent to hear from you Lynette! Glad you are doing well! I saw Dr Cronen Friday for my six week check up. He thought I was doing well for 6 weeks. I am starting Physical therapy next week. Talk to you later!
      Janet
      36 year young cardiac RN
      old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
      new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
      Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
      Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
      and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Good to hear from you, Lynette. It is so good to hear you're walking for long periods of time and doiing so many of the other things you've wanted to do for extended time periods. I pray your house sells, so you will feel more independent and too, that your additional traininng will get you a job with more income. So good to hear you're doing well. Enjoy the rest of the summer with your boys.

Glenda
        Glenda
        Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
        Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
        Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
        A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
        Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
        Pleased with outcome

Comment

Dear Lynette,

It is great to hear from you! I am glad you are doing so well! I said it yesterday too, but I am so inspired by you, and jsully, and glenda, with your positive recoveries. I am hoping to do that well, too!

Lynette,

I will be thinking good thoughts for you to sell your house. I applaud you for your positive attitude and energy. And what great news about being able to resume your career. You have really persevered and had great results. I am happy for you.

Take care,
          Gayle, age 50
          Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
          Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
          Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
          2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
          2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

It's wonderful to hear things are on the upswing for you, Lynette. You have been through a lot and seem to have a super attitude about moving on with your life. I can so identify with the joy of being able to stand for long pds. of time or work in the kitchen without pain. Best wishes for a continued good recovery and hope things work out well in other aspects of your life too!

Anne in PA
            Age 58
            Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
            T4 to sacrum fusion
            63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
            Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
            Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Fantastic news Lynnette, you're doing amazingly well. As Debbe says, you are going to be even better, 100 times better this time next year, so just imagine what you'll be doing then.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Fantastic news Lyn. Always happy to read positive posts first thing in the morning!
                Vali
                44 years young! now 45
                Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                Post -op - 5 degrees
                T11 - S1 Posterior
                L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Hi Lynette! So good to read your update. I have been wondering how you are doing. It sounds like you are doing absolutely awesome. Good for you. I still just marvel at all you are doing as a Mom with little ones, while healing yourself. That is so cool that you are mostly pain free. I still have a lot of muscle soreness and stiffness. It does feel good to be 3 months post-op and a whole lot better than week 1 post-op.
                  You go girl and do keep us up to date.
                  Shari B.
                  Shari - 55 years old
                  Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
                  Post op 13 degree curve.
                  Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
                  2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
                  Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
                  www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

Lynette,
                    I am so glad to hear that you are doing so well and that your life has more positives than negatives now. Everything will eventually work itself out. I have thought of you so often during our move. I hope your house sells quickly as ours did. I never would have been able to move if I hadn't had my surgeries. It is so wonderful to be able to do things again.
                    Take care, Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Lynnette! I too sometimes have mixed feelings about PMs. Besides the character limit is such a drag! I'm glad you did it "publicly" so everyone can enjoy the most welcome update. And this way everyone got to share the relief and uplift. You see how much you're been on all our minds!

I kind of thought your kids being out of school would dominate your summertime. At that age, parents' calendars are structured by school vacations and holidays. "Back to School" always seems hollow since we're not out purchasing Fall clothes, fresh pencils and sharpeners, etc. Or nowadays is is equally the newest programs and apps?

Your positive take on your marital difficulties is refreshing. I'm glad you're able to keep perspective. Yes, it's fabulous not to have to be financially dependent on an ex, if one can be - especially if he's in any way unreliable.

Speaking of which, I'm astounded to hear you're looking into massage therapy. I'm sure you're very gifted at it, but I hope you're careful. Your spirit is always so willing, but the "flesh" can sometimes be weaker than we know. I'm sure you're checking in with your great surgeon. Lucky clients!

Very good idea to learn another trade. My guess is that it will make you far more than double "in demand" the way employment works now. It seems when companies downsize, they always expect the remaining employees to hold down two jobs anyhow (and they're the ones most apt to be kept on!).

You're lifting weights with a fusion to the sacrum? I'm awestruck. Sometime, let us know what machines or reps you can do. I will be very happy if I'm able to do weight training after surgery. I worry about fitness. You're a trail blazer. And much good luck on the house sale! Very ambitious, but the market does seem to be picking up. It's challenging to show a house with little guys around, especially all on your own.

Not surprised, but very glad you ARE doing so well and I congratulate you. Your friend Debbie really tapped a wonderful source of strength in you and it seems to just keep "giving". There's really no other solution to pain management with the tolerance issue of opiates and side effects of NSAIDS. I'm inspired to look into hypnotherapy on that account. I remember everything you wrote about it - that it's really from within.

Thanks for all the news and cheer!

Amanda
                      Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Lynette--
                        That sounds so good! It was great to see your post but certainly understand how hard that can be sometimes. You have a great plan with your massage therapy, etc. So glad you were able to do it pain free! Janet
                        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Lynette! I had my surgery the day before you and I'm so glad we are well on our way to recovery!! I feel like you do...am able to stand, wash dishes, shop, whatever...and not have the pain I had before. But I want to ask you....is your back still numb in spots? Mine is..also, does yours burn when it gets tired? Mine never really hurts, just more or less burns. Wondered if you felt that. Where will you go when you sell your house? I hope that all works out for you!!! I started back to work two weeks ago and I felt like I never left! Let me know about the burning and if you have that or notl
                          Laura
                          Laura
                          62 degrees
                          49 yrs. young
                          Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Lynette:

So glad to hear how well you are doing and that you will be able to go back to your job. I remember how concerned you were about that. You are amazing with all that you have going on with the kids and going back to school and all. You are an inspiration.

Isn't it a great feeling to be able to start doing stuff with our kids again and get back to "life". I am experiencing all the things you are with the activities, getting back to working out and therapy and cooking (although I don't always like that), and I am even going to try to ride a bicyle this week. I drove 5 hours both ways this week to pick my son up from camp. I felt so indipendent to be able to drive that far even though my husband made my mother go with me "just in case", she never had to take over the driving.

Good luck with the house and stuff and continue feeling better.

To Shari: don't worry about the stiffness at 3 months, I still had it too. It seems that I got better not gradually but exponetially. About two weeks ago, all of a sudden on day it hit me that i was feeling really good. I was not too stiff and had much better mobility. I went from taking 1-4 darvacet a day to 1-2 a week. So you will get there.

Melilssa
                            Surgery: March 31, 2010
                            Fusion T9-L5
                            Pre Op: 60 Degree Curve
                            Post Op: 20 Degree Curve

Comment

Thanks everyone for your wonderful support - it means a lot to me.

J Sully - I'm delighted to hear how well your six week appt went - of course I knew you would do great seeing as how strong minded and determined you are

Laura - I do have numbness still in my lower lumbar, however I don't get the burning sensation that you described.

Amanda - thanks again for checking in on me and for your encouragement.
                              Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
                              Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
                              Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
                              Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Working...
                              X