Heart Turned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart Turned

Hello, I am new to the Forum and have a question. When I was going through my pre-op exam, I had an abnormal EKG/Nuclear Stress Test. I had a left and right heart catheterization week before last. Thankfully, my heart looked great and I had no blockage. The cardiologist did say that my heart was turned at a 90 degree angle due to my scoliosis. This caused my test results to look abnormal. Has anyone ever experienced this? I will ask my doctor, but I am wondering if the surgery will help correct this.

I have significant pain in my thoracic chest wall. It is almost as bad as my back pain. I was pain free until about 4 years ago and developed disabling pain almost overnight. I admire all of you who have gone through surgery or are going through surgery and are not experiencing pain. I wish I had done that, but hopefully the surgery will bring me some relief.

Although I am a new member, I have been reading posts for over 6 months. I appreciate the informative and inspirational information you all provide via this Forum.
    Chris, Austin, TX
    80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
    Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
    C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
    New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
    Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Hello and welcome to the forum! Most of us on here has experienced a shift of the heart and other organs. Mine wasnt where it should have been and after my operation a month ago the doc let me know everything has now shifted back. However my test results did come out normal before surgery. I too waited for the pain before I had surgery and I am glad that I did. There would have been so much I would have missed out on in life with my rods in my back, so dont feel bad for waiting if you were ok You will get alot of support on here. Let us know how your journey goes!
    Best Wishes!
    Leanna
    32 yrs. old
    surgery scheduled for 06/18/10
    90* pre-op
    23* post-op

Comment

Chris,
      Welcome to the forum. I, too, read the information here for months before posting. I felt like I knew the regulars, but there was no way they could know me until I posted myself. I will be 60 when I have the surgery (Jan. 5) and ours will be similar-T4-sacrum. I love my life of being activie and playing golf every day and being competitive in tournaments and hate to give that up. I have to just convince myself that if I wait until I develop severe pain, I will have passed up the window of opportunity for an easier recovery and better surgery results now rather than 5 years later. Be sure to let us know how you are doing following surgery. Best of luck for a successful surgery.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Internal organs move along with the curving spine.

My heart was also rotated; everything in the chest moves with the spine. There's no getting around it. This gave abnormal EKG readings because the EKG lead placement reads the heart rhythm expecting the heart in it's normal position and it's not.

I opted for surgery as soon as I made up my mind which was very quick. In the 3 months waiting time my spine continued to curve and I was just turning 60.
        I have gone back to hiking in the Alps.This year I had a bump in the road with early bilateral breast cancer-caught in time. So I am just doing Alpine walks while undergoing the breast reconstruction process.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
        X