Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is any having ribcage pulling/muscle spasms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is any having ribcage pulling/muscle spasms?

I approached this on Sullys 4 week update thread, but thought I would start a new threa on this.

An issue I am having, wondering if others are too, is that I keep "pulling mucsles" in my side. I had pneumonia and originally thought is was from all the coughing. Then I took a fall in the street and "jarred" my back and ribs. That all has subsided but just yesterday, I started having pain in my left side again.

My sister (she is a Physical Therapist) thinks that it has to do with the fact that I am doing more movement and the muscles are not used to it and just get stretched differntly and irritated.

Anyone else having pulled muscles or muscle spasms in the ribcage area?

Otherwise things are great. Back on my walking pace, had to lengthen my walk to get in my 45 minutes the other day.

Melissa
    T9-L5 Fusion
    Surgery March 31
    Pre op 60 Lumbar Curve
    Post op 20 Lumbar Curve

Melissa, your post stirred almost forgotten memories. I used to get a pulling/wrenching feeling around the ribs on the left side, in certain sitting/lying positions. It went on for a few weeks. My partner suggested I Google intercostals and sure enough, it sounded exactly what was happening to me. It just stopped happening at some point, maybe 8-12 weeks post op.

I think they're the muscles between the ribs.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I had the rib cage pain mainly in the back. I cant remember when it ended--sometime after PT I think.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thanks for the info. I looked it up, sounds like I just have to wait it out. Will ice it, can't do the NSAIDs. Will be carefull with my movements and see if my sister can give me some stretches that are fusion freindly and good for this.

Appreciate the input.

Melissa-46 Years
        Surgery T9-L5 Fusion
        March 31,2110
        Pre Op 60 Degree Curve
        Post Op 20 Degree Curve

Comment

Working...
        X