Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Kyphosis go hand in hand with Scoliosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Kyphosis go hand in hand with Scoliosis?

We have an appt. at the Shriners Hospital Wed. to reevaluate for possible scoliosis surgery and to discuss back surgery for her spondylolisthesis. I've researched and not found any answers to my question. My daughters MRI results came back and showed that she also has Kyphosis along with a double curve scoliosis. Is it common to have both Kyphosis and Scoliosis or is this just another added concern?

I'm not sure how common it is for someone to have both Scoliosis and Kyphosis (Kyphoscoliosis). Some people only have Kyphosis. And others have just Scoliosis. Like your daughter, my daughter too has Scoliosis, Kyphosis and Spondylothesis. She had a spinal fusion to correct her Scoliosis and Kyphosis but they didn't do anything about the Spondylothesis.

Did they say what degree her Scoli is or her Kyphosis? Do you know what grade her Spond. is?

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

She has a Grade II Spondylolisthesis at L5 and S1 with a large neural defect @ L5. 32 degree levoscoliotic curve in of the lumbar, 23 dextroscoliotic curve of the dorsal spine with a 63 dorsal Kyphosis. That was her readings from the MRI while laying down. They measured a 41 lumbar and 32 thoracic standing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronda View Post
        We have an appt. at the Shriners Hospital Wed. to reevaluate for possible scoliosis surgery and to discuss back surgery for her spondylolisthesis. I've researched and not found any answers to my question. My daughters MRI results came back and showed that she also has Kyphosis along with a double curve scoliosis. Is it common to have both Kyphosis and Scoliosis or is this just another added concern?
        Actually, scoliosis is relatively common in people with kyphosis.

Neither kyphosis or scoliosis can be measured in the prone position, so I would pay no attention to those specific measurements.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Theory of spinal cord relief.

One theory is that thoracic kyphosis stretches the spinal cord. The reflex reaction is to rotate the spine into a scoliosis in an attempt to shorten the stretch. The walking reflexes require equalizing opposite reactions therefor the lordosis regions tend to develop the opposite curve.
          My approach is to study the radiology for the original loss that triggered the adaptation so that therapeutically the spinal cord can be relieved.
          "She has a Grade II Spondylolisthesis at L5 and S1 with a large neural defect @ L5." This could be the source of the traction on the spinal cord and should definitely be addressed.

Comment

2nd Opinion

We have our second opinion coming up Monday. Got the MRI results back and it says she has rotoscoliosis, something new we haven't heard before. My daughter is starting to experience numbness in her left leg. Has anyone else had this experience or is that abnormal?

Comment

considering surgery

Hi, Kootenaygal here. I have kyphoscoliosis. I have the 2nd consult with my surgeon this week. I'm anxious to hear what he has to say, and if I'm a good candidate for surgery.
              I'm terrified of the surgery, but not having the surgery...will only result in the further collapse of my spine. With my thoracic compression fractures, a important factor in the decision, maybe the element of osteo present.

I'll keep you updated, as to what is decided.
              Kootenaygal

Comment

My son had a Kyphosis when he was 2 years old and had 2 surgeries at Robert Wood Johnson Hospital in NJ to correct it. We were told he would be fine and never have any issues again. At 13 he was then diagnosed with scoliosis and had a surgery at Shriners at that point.

We were have been told that it was just a coincidence that he had both ~ but I am highly skeptical of that.

Comment

Working...
                X