New Minimally Invasive Surgery Available for Scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Minimally Invasive Surgery Available for Scoliosis

Here is an ABC News segment featuring Dr. Neel Anand talking about his medical breakthrough procedure, minimally invasive spine surgery, for scoliosis.
    With this procedure there is minimal loss of blood, teaspoons vs liters, no blood transfusions, no ICU, a quick recovery.
    Dr. Anand makes small incisions, called nicks and scratches.
    This preserves the muscles.
    Dr. Anand's findings are that the correction is maintaining.
    Dr. Neel Anand
    http://www.infospine.net/treatment-s...s-surgery.html

Hello Dr Anand. Why are you talking about yourself in the third person? That sort of thing can put people off seeking you to treat them because they think you're completely mad, or are maybe trying to hide something

Comment

Dr. Anand, have you considered manning up?

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10207

Can you answer the questions that were posed eariler? If not, why not?
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by tonibunny View Post
        Hello Dr Anand. Why are you talking about yourself in the third person? That sort of thing can put people off seeking you to treat them because they think you're completely mad, or are maybe trying to hide something
        Yes, it actually creeps me out. Personally, I would run from anyone using such tactics.
        mariaf305@yahoo.com
        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

nicks and scratches...not what i was told...

jess

Comment

Why Post Was in Third Person, Sorry!

Hello Everyone,
            I did not mean to confuse you by having a team member post an update on new information about minimally invasive surgical techniques for scoliosis.
            I travel a few days almost every week, presenting academic findings on my research and doing physician trainings.
            Sometimes I ask one of my team members to make announcements on Twitter, and in this case, I wanted you guys to see the progress I'm making with minimally invasive surgical techniques.
            So sorry for any confusion, no tactics here, just devotion to my patients and to finding the best solution for anyone suffering with scoliosis.
            Dr. Neel Anand
            http://www.infospine.net/treatment-s...s-surgery.html

Comment

i had a consult with you in January...i was never told "nicks and scratches"...by you or by the other surgeon i saw who also does minimally invasive...i was told small cuts on the side...and a longer one in back...either cutting or poking thru the back...

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                i had a consult with you in January...i was never told "nicks and scratches"...by you or by the other surgeon i saw who also does minimally invasive...i was told small cuts on the side...and a longer one in back...either cutting or poking thru the back...

jess
                Let's hope the first, second or third person responds to this post. If not I think it will be removed like I think the other drive by postings were removed.

I don't remember the questions he got and ignored last time but maybe he will respond to any new questions posted here.

I have one... has he done this procedure with pediatric patients?
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                  Let's hope the first, second or third person responds to this post. If not I think it will be removed like I think the other drive by postings were removed.

I don't remember the questions he got and ignored last time but maybe he will respond to any new questions posted here.

I have one... has he done this procedure with pediatric patients?
                  The fact that he's claiming to have no pseudarthroses is a little suspicious to me.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20192666
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Scoliosisdoctor,

I think that is awesome that that kind of correction can be done without filleting us open. Is it just for lumbar or can the T-spine be corrected that way also? I have a double thoracic curve, so that's why I'm interested in the T-spine.
                    Be happy!
                    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

hi rohr
                      as far as i know, thoracic has had minimally invasive procedure for years...have you not investigated that yourself? that is where it started first...

small cuts is EXACTLY what they are...and on the back, the incision ("cutting" or "poking")...i was told was about 6-7 inches...which is better than being opened up...but i dont call that a nick or a scratch...

also, i was told by a surgeon in NYC that there is no way to completely spare the muscles...only to traumatize them less....and no way to not bleed...just to bleed less...

i am not trying to minimize ....... minimally invasive improvements over fully open surgery....but it is not magic...and long term studies are needed...

jess

Comment

Hmmm, I wonder why most people have the traditional open surgeries, then? All of the incisions that I have seen posted on here are always like 12 -14 inches long.
                        Be happy!
                        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                        but we are alive today!

Comment

Here's a great entry from Lloyd Hey's blog, on being careful with this type of surgery:

http://drlloydhey.blogspot.com/2010/...in-clinic.html
                          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

how much did not fusing long enough contribute to her problems...and do we know who her surgeon was...did he have extensive experience with scoliosis surgeries in general, and minimally invasive in particular...??

just asking...

jess

Comment

Working...
                            X