Why there is no brace for adults?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why there is no brace for adults?

I mean.. some curves can increase over the age of 18 as we know its when growth stops. So why there isnt any brace to wear above that age?

I would wear one on a heartbeat if there is. Is there any that I am not aware of? if it can help, I am into it.

Originally posted by littleone View Post
    I mean.. some curves can increase over the age of 18 as we know its when growth stops. So why there isnt any brace to wear above that age?

I would wear one on a heartbeat if there is. Is there any that I am not aware of? if it can help, I am into it.
    Are you saying you would wear a brace the rest of your life?

I don't know if brace wear forever has been studied.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      Are you saying you would wear a brace the rest of your life?

I don't know if brace wear forever has been studied.
      I would wear braces like if I am doing something that could make things worse, or wear it while I am sleeping, or driving.. anything.. and yeah I could wear it all my life, I would get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by littleone View Post
        I would wear braces like if I am doing something that could make things worse, or wear it while I am sleeping, or driving.. anything.. and yeah I could wear it all my life, I would get used to it.
        Spinecor makes an adult brace but there is no claim that it prevents progression. The claim is that it might relieve pain.

Is that what you are looking for?
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Littleone,

I asked my doctor that exact question. I told him I would happily wear a brace for the rest of my life if it meant I would not have to have surgery. He said it would not help and would not prevent progression. But I suspect Sharon is right and that it has never been studied.

Evelyn
          age 48
          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Wearing a brace for the rest of your life sounds OK, but I suspect after awhile it would get pretty old. And, while your core muscles atrophied from lack of use you would probably have more and more back pain, and might have a very tough time standing for any length of time without wearing the brace.

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I think that only adapting a brace to the curve would give a limited help (but anyway a help) in an adult.
              I think the curve should to be reduced before adapting the brace. I think a dynamic brace don’t should atrophy your muscles if you do the right exercises. All that I think about it you can find here : http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10607
              If you know if SpineCor can be used in this way, PLEASE let me know it.

Comment

Working...
              X