Four J's in June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four J's in June

It's June 1st and I just wanted to wish JenM, JSully, Jenny RN, and Joyfull the very best of good tidings for their June surgeries.

Please keep us all posted!

You guys will be in my prayers every day.
    Amy
    58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
    Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
    Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
    2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
    Exercising to correct

Thank you so much, Foofer! I go in tomorrow to see Dr. B for my presurgical consult and have my other final pre-op tests on Thursday. My surgery will be next Tuesday, the 8th! I am getting so nervous...it's all I think about every minute of the day! I am trying to remain calm but it's hard. I have alot to do in the next week. I wish I didn't watch a video a few months back of the scoliosis surgery online...I think that's why I'm so scared! It was on Dr. Lenke's website and I just couldn't resist at the time.

I'm sure I'll be posting alot this week!

JenM
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

How sweet Foofer! You brought a wee tear to my eye. Getting nervous & excited here too. Preop x-rays tomarrow and pre-admission to the hospital! 10 more days to go
      Janet
      36 year young cardiac RN
      old curve C 29, T 70, L 50
      new curve C 7, T 23, L 20
      Surgery June 11, UCH, Dr. Cronen T2-L5, posterior
      Revision December 20 L5-S1 with pelvic fixation
      and Osteotomy to L3 at Tampa General Hospital

Comment

Hi Janet-

Just wondering how you are preparing your kids for the big day. I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old, and I remember you saying you have a 7 year old and a 6 year old. I'm going to have to hold back the tears when I say my final goodbyes to them. I've just been talking to my 5 year old about the surgery. He thinks it's no big deal, just that the dr is going to put rods in my back and I'll be fine. Haha, hope it's that simple! My 2 year old really has no clue what's going on. She will just be asking for me everyday. When I am around them during the day, I don't feel as nervous. It's when I am alone is when I really start getting anxious for next Tuesday!

Good Luck!

JenM

Comment

My boys know Mommy is going for surgery and they have to do more for themselves and behave. I too will miss them terribly while in the hospital, as they will too. As far as preparing them I don't know what else to do. They will be able to come and visit. My brother -in-law is staying with them the day of sugery. Also, they are going to a program at school during the day for summer where they will have a lot of field trips, since I won't be able to cart them around. Also, we are getting a bed for the living room for awhile so I can spend more time with them in the evenings.
          Janet
          36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Hi Janet-

Wow, that is great your boys can come and visit you at the hospital! My hospital only allows kids like 13 years old and over to visit so I won't see my kids until I go home.

Comment

Hey Janet and Jen,

Just wanted to let you know that was my biggest worry about going to the hospital, saying goodbye to the boys and missing them. Well, it really wasn't as bas as I had conjured up in my mind. What I actually did for them prior to going in, was I went to the dollar tree store, bought a gift for each of them for each day that I wouldn't be there, wrapped them all up, and put them in a basket for each of them. So that every morning when they woke up, they had something to look forward to and something to remind them of mommy. They LOVED that!!! Saying goodbye wasn't as hard either, I think I just got a sense of calm the last two days prior to surgery, and I didn't want my boys to be worried or scared, so I just said "See you soon boys, mommy will have a new back of steel" and smiled and snuggled them.

Hope this helps you guys.
              Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
              Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
              Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
              Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Lynette-

What a great idea!! My kids would love that if I were to give them a small gift everyday and wrap it up. That would make them so happy and look forward to each day that I wasn't around. Thanks so much for the suggestion. Hope your leg pain is getting better.

Take care,
                Jen

Comment

Thanks Lynette! Great idea.
                  Janet
                  36 year young cardiac RN

Comment

Good luck to you 4 J's in your upcoming surgeries. I know you will do just great. Getting to the other side is the best feeling. Blessings to you all.
                    Shari - 55 years old
                    Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
                    Post op 13 degree curve.
                    Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
                    2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
                    Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
                    www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Comment

I will be thinking of the 4 J's and hoping you all have uneventful surgeries and recoveries. We'll be anxious to hear from all of you.
                      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                      Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Age-60 at the time of surgery
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Foofer - You have no idea how much seeing that post meant!

To the "other three J's," are you as nervous and anxious as I am?

I have my pre-op consultation with bending xrays tomorrow. Hopefully, I walk out of the office reassured.

Comment

Joy here. Yes, I'm nervous, but curiously, worried about my "big" sons, 26 and 20, and how they are going to handle this. I've mentioned elsewhere that I'm going through a difficult divorce after a 38 year marriage and my sons have no contact with their father. I'm feeling like I should make sure my sons know where the life insurance policy is, etc., but I'm worried that such a discussion will scare them (and me) more!

Some moments I feel relaxed and ready, even excited to be finally "fixing" my back. Wish I had more of those!

Comment

J J J and J in June.

Much joy and healing to you all and to your little ones, comfort!!

Amanda
                            Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
                            Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
                            main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
                            Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Joy, my husband and I have had that chat. I've even made a list of all our policy names and numbers "just in case." It seems awful morbid to do that, but after losing my Daddy unexpectedly and so suddenly 5 months ago I've been trying to organize all the "paperwork stuff" around the house to make it easier on both of us if something would ever happen to either of us.

Comment

Working...
                              X