FYI: Chiropractic as treatment for scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI: Chiropractic as treatment for scoliosis

I was looking for something else when I found the following 2 articles about how chiropractic is viewed as treatment for scoliosis in Japan.
    I decided to post it for it might be of information to some of you...

1. In June 1991, the Japanese government (the Ministry of Welfare) issued a warning on "Medical-like treatments" based on research by a special task force. It warns that chiropractic treatment is not adequate for people diagnosed as spina bifida, spondylosis, herniated discs, SCOLIOSIS and other spinal anomalies (the statement lists a variety of other spinal conditions). as the treatment may worsen the condition.
    http://www.jac-chiro.org/G_B002b.htm

2. AJCA, a national chiropractors' association in Japan states in their website that people who are under the following conditions should not recieve chiropractic treatment:
    People who had spine surgery, has metal implants, people with high blood pressure, with head-splitting headaches, hemiplegia, spondylosis, osteoporosis, pregnent women, young children, people who have hit their head very hard during the past few days, people who were diagnosed by a medical doctor as having other spinal anomalies, etc...
    http://www.00123.net/case.html

And I assume "other spinal anomalies" includes scoliosis?

I wonder if the US or any other government or chiropractic organizations in other nations have issued such statements and/or guidelines?

Regards,
    KaTy

Non traditional Chiropractic

Katy

You might want to go to www.drwoggin.com and look at his scoliosis treatment.

I have done training with dr. Woggin and Dr. Lawerance and their treatment is amazing. I myself am getting consistent 10-15 degree positive changes with older patients ages 60-88 years old

Docbono

Comment

chiropractic

Have you published any of your results in any peer reviewed journals?
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2001 Jul-Aug;24(6):385-93. Related Articles, Links

Effect of chiropractic intervention on small scoliotic curves in younger subjects: a time-series cohort design.

Lantz CA, Chen J.

Life University, Marietta, GA, USA.

BACKGROUND: Chiropractors have long claimed to affect scoliotic curves, and case studies abound reporting on successful outcomes. No clinical trials exist, however, that evaluate chiropractic's effectiveness in the management of scoliotic curves. OBJECTIVE: To assess the effectiveness of chiropractic intervention in the management of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis in curves less than 20 degrees. DESIGN: Cohort time-series trial with all subjects electing chiropractic care. Entry-level Cobb angle was compared with postmanagement curve. METHODS: Forty-two subjects completed the program of chiropractic intervention. Age range at entry was 6 to 12 years, and patients were included if their entry-level x-ray films revealed curves of 6 degrees to 20 degrees. Participants had adjustments performed for 1 year before follow-up. Full-spine osseous adjustments were the major form of intervention, but heel lifts and postural and lifestyle counseling were used as well. RESULTS: There was no discernable effect on the severity of the curves as a function of age, initial curve severity, frequency of care, or attending physician. CONCLUSION: Full-spine chiropractic adjustments with heel lifts and postural and lifestyle counseling are not effective in reducing the severity of scoliotic curves.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I tried chiropractic for pain relief, and had to stop, it was making my migraines worse, and I didn't notice a difference in my back.
          Pre-surgery: upper curve 44 (and kyphosis), lower curve 45
          Post-surgery: under 20, both curves (doesn't even qualify as scoliosis anymore )

surgery: August 29, 2005
          fusion T5-L3
          Surgeon - Dr. Ted Wagner at University of Washington (Seattle)

Scar getting to the point where people either don't notice it or think it is from something much less serious!

Comment

peer review

I have not personally had any peer review articles written. Mine is only clinical data.

run asearch on the following doctors

Dennis Woggin
            Gary Lawrence
            Mark Morningstar

docbono
            Last edited by docbono; 12-30-2004, 06:56 PM.

Comment

lindaRacine

The article you posted is absolutely correct. Traditional full spine chiropractic adjustment will have little if no effect on scoliosis even small angles. The non-traditional form of chiropractic that I use causes the body to react to externally appliesd forces over time. This activates the righting reflex which helps realign the spinal structure with gravity. Spinal rehabiltation is applied to help the soft tissue to adapt and support the realigned structure.

Docbono

Comment

Bono...

Like Karen, I'll believe it when you publish it in a peer reviewed journal.

I believe that people with structural scoliosis may get some amount of temporary correction in response to various treatments, but that when treatment is discontinued, curves will return to their pre-treatment status.

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Docbono,
                  So which doc are you??
                  SandyC

Comment

neither!

As far as peer review a lot of effective treatment never makes it through peer review. The present treatment for scoliosis is fairly ineffective and barbaric.

Docbono

Comment

While bracing and surgery may be considered barbaric by a few, they are at least proven to be effective. You can find a list of published outcome studies here:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/Outcomes.htm

I've been involved in scoliosis support for about 15 years. In all of that time, I've never seen proof of a single person who was treated by chiropractic for structural scoliosis, who got any permanent correction for their curve(s). (In fact, I've only heard RUMOR of a few people with very small curves, who got improvement.) If anyone knows of a person who started with structural curves over 30 degrees, and whose curves have been reduced by chiropractic, and can provide the patient's contact information and submit actual x-ray proof, I'd be happy to get on the bandwagon and let everyone know that chiropractic might be a good way of avoiding surgery.

--Linda

Comment

non-traditional Chiropractic

This form is still in it's early stages as regards to treating scoliosis
                        check out the download from the Clear Institue

http://www.clear-institute.com/
                        Docbono

Comment

docbono

$2000.00 for a box on the floor that vibrates??? I have a pair of slippers from Wal-Mart that does the same thing for under $5.00, sure is a lot cheaper !!
                          SandyC

Comment

Did you read the research on vibratory therapy and it's effect on red and white tissue. It's better than your slippers.
                            Docbono

Comment

Perhaps when you publish your results, Sandy will publish hers.

Comment

Working...
                              X