Mean Doctor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mean Doctor

I have an 11 year old daughter diagnosed at a routine annual physical so went were told to see an orthopedic doc ugh what a mean man he is he was almost screaming at me and my daughter like somehow we did something to cause the scoliosis or maybe just trying to scare my daughter into wearing the brace
    I dont think this is the way a doctor should treat a scared newly diagnosed CHILD so i took his attitude with a grain of salt maybe he's having a bad day Well next visit inbrace x-ray- same attitude asked how many hours a day she wears the brace and we said 12-13 she had just gotten brace 3 days earlier he yelled again NOOOO 23 hours no less and he looked my daughter in the eyes and said you dont wear it 23 hrs you will have surgery!!! The othotist who is awesome and cute my daughter says haha suggested she go to physical therapy doctor said NO she doesnt need it BYE. well i got the prescrip from her reg pediatrician and we are looking for a new othopedic doctor.
    Daughter Courtney 11 diagnosed with scoliosis
    9/04
    Top curve 36~~w/brace 25
    lower curve 27~~w/brace 24
    Currently using boston brace

I am so sorry for the horrible experience you and your daughter have had. There is no reason in this world that I can think of to treat a person like that.

Being the mother of a 13 year old daughter with Kyphoscoliosis, I learned early on in her treatment that there is more to a doctor than his medical credentials. We saw five doctors until we finally picked one that suited us. All the doctors were well experienced with Scoliosis, but I felt it was important to also like the doctor as a person since we could be dealing with him for many years to come.

I learned that we could switch doctors (even switch hospitals) and still stick with her brace maker. He works for an independent company and it just so happens his office is located in the local Children's Hospital.

Hang in there. Keep looking and you will find the doctor that is right for both you and your daughter.

Mary Lou

Comment

njjenn,
      What a jerk!
      OH MY GOSH!!!!!Please find a Dr that will be more compassionate.
      I had a Dr tell me once "there are too many Drs out there to go to one you don't like.."he is so right, keep looking for the sake of both of you. Good luck.
      now 16 yr old daughter
      with worsen 65 degree upper curve
      surgery Nov 3, 04

Comment

That is horrible! I would say that you should find another doctor because he certainly is not the right one. I cannot relate. My orthotist was so nice to me when I wore my brace and my surgeon is even nicer. He never yelled at me when I wore the brace. He doesn't automatically show the x-rays we ask him but he tells us the curvature and what he thinks we should do. If we ask to see the x-rays he never has any problem showing them to us. He smiles cheerfully and says "Of course you can see them they are your x-rays" When I just got the news that I needed my brace and started crying he was patting my knee and grabbed onto my hand and said " I t is okay sweetie I don't know why you are crying. Everything is going to be okay I promise. Okay" When I went back a month after I got my brace he said he was plesed and happy with me. Even when I told him I stopped wearing the brace and I expected him to yell at me he didn't . He just smiled and laughed when I told him and said " Well lots of kids do that. I can tell by your x-rays." I really couldn't ask for a nicer doctor. I am sorry to hear you had such a ad experience and I really hope that you find a nicer doctor.Bye!
        ~*Lauren*~
        Braced for 5 months
        Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
        Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
        Surgery on April 26th 2005
        Fused from T3-L4
        Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

brace and surgery

I just want to say ANY doctor that insists wearing a brace the correct amount of time will mean no surgery is LYING. NO ONE can predict that. While bracing IS successful for many people, there are many of us for whom it did not work. I would hate to see your daughter lied to or misinformed. She should be told honestly that bracing is an attempt at prevention of curve progression, but no one can promise she won't need surgery. You just have to try your hardest to follow the doctor's recommendations and hope for the best.

Best of luck!

Rachel
          Rachel

Comment

We found a new doctor he is awesome and he talks to my daughter mostly which is great!!!! he also said she doesnt have to wear brace for 23 hour only 16 my daughter is very happy
            Daughter Courtney 11 diagnosed with scoliosis
            9/04
            Top curve 36~~w/brace 25
            lower curve 27~~w/brace 24
            Currently using boston brace

Comment

Working...
            X