doctor and facility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doctor and facility

I recently had my first ever surgical consults in NYC (indicated on another thread, perhaps digressively. I'm not too good at this )
    Surgeons: Federico Girardi (HSS), Thomas Errico (Bone and Joint Disease) and Michael Neuwirth (Beth Israel).

About Neuwirth - same as a male poster (who ended going with Dr. Neiwirth, regardless), I am concerned about his facility far more than him. (He seems on top of his game, straightforward and pleasant.
    HOWEVER, like aforementioned poster, I worry about Beth Israel!

Beth Israel (his arena) was recently profiled in the NY times as an example of the value of comparing hospitals. Their mortality rates are MUCH worse than the better NY hospitals. The comparisons were made quid pro quo - ie. same type of surgery across facilities.

Seems to me if I'm going to be very low in resistance after this grave "bodily insult" (love that expression), and thus at extra high risk to germs , especially the notoriously resistant hospital bugs Studies looking at complications, all list infection as one of the greatest risks of scoliosis surgery – especially long fusions like mine. (T4 – to pelvis.).

Seems I'd be better off in a more highly rated facility - not just re hygiene, but the many other factors that help the patient mend.

For example, in my case, I have a sleep disorder, and if I go to a 24/7 noisy, bright facility (I've been there with more trivial surgery) it could push me over the edge in recovering. I get to where I CANT sleep from exhaustion and I imagine there are already factors mitigating against sleep after this surgery (like pain? ).

Dr. Neuwirth would be doing P/A up to five (or more??) days apart - separated according to HIS convenience in fitting in the second op ().

Sheesh, you'd think such a serious op would require a surgeon to do what was most healthy FOR THE PT!

I can't think of a time I'd be more vulnerable to infection than opened up stem to stern, and waiting ( intubated? God knows...). My heart rate is speeding up again.

I've previously been told by surgeons that the facility can undo the work of even the best surgeons. Frankly, I've experienced it with neurosurgery and the research leading up to it.

Thoughts? (Wish we had a forum stat analysis about outcomes referring to MDs and facility! Ideally cross-correlated across factors)

Meanwhile anecdotal and per research (THANK YOU!

PS The aftercare facility matters similarly in considering what helps a person weather this enormous storm.
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Hi...

I don't have any comments regarding the facility. If you're that concerned, I'd work on trying to find a different surgeon and facility. In terms of a surgeon (any surgeon) staging the procedures, I can only recommend that you go along with what the surgeon recommends. It's not just about the schedule, it's about blood loss, surgeon fatigue, and experience that tells him/her what works best.

Good luck with your quest.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hospital for Special Surgery is rated the number one orthopedic hospital in the country. Having said that, I opted to go with Dr. Lonner at Joint Diseases over another surgeon at Special Surgery (Joint Diseases is rated number 9). I have read very good things about Dr. Neuwirth and Dr. Lonner on this forum. Good luck. Joy

Comment

You can always get a 2nd opinion - that is your right as a patient. However, after I saw Dr. Lenke in St. Louis and heard all the wonderful things about his work I knew I was in the right place. I was just thankful for being steered in his direction to start with rather than having to go through 2 or 3 docs to get there. My orthopedist here really did me a favor by sending me to Dr. Lenke and owning up to the fact that my curve was way too advanced for him to tackle. I'm just thankful he didn't try to fix it only to find out he couldn't and then I'd have to go through another surgery.
        Rita Thompson
        Age 46
        Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
        Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
        Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
        Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Originally posted by Back-out View Post
          I recently had my first ever surgical consults in NYC (indicated on another thread, perhaps digressively. I'm not too good at this )
          Surgeons: Federico Girardi (HSS), Thomas Errico (Bone and Joint Disease) and Michael Neuwirth (Beth Israel).

About Neuwirth - same as a male poster (who ended going with Dr. Neiwirth, regardless), I am concerned about his facility far more than him. (He seems on top of his game, straightforward and pleasant.
          HOWEVER, like aforementioned poster, I worry about Beth Israel!

Beth Israel (his arena) was recently profiled in the NY times as an example of the value of comparing hospitals. Their mortality rates are MUCH worse than the better NY hospitals. The comparisons were made quid pro quo - ie. same type of surgery across facilities.

Seems to me if I'm going to be very low in resistance after this grave "bodily insult" (love that expression), and thus at extra high risk to germs , especially the notoriously resistant hospital bugs Studies looking at complications, all list infection as one of the greatest risks of scoliosis surgery – especially long fusions like mine. (T4 – to pelvis.).

Seems I'd be better off in a more highly rated facility - not just re hygiene, but the many other factors that help the patient mend.

For example, in my case, I have a sleep disorder, and if I go to a 24/7 noisy, bright facility (I've been there with more trivial surgery) it could push me over the edge in recovering. I get to where I CANT sleep from exhaustion and I imagine there are already factors mitigating against sleep after this surgery (like pain? ).

Dr. Neuwirth would be doing P/A up to five (or more??) days apart - separated according to HIS convenience in fitting in the second op ().

Sheesh, you'd think such a serious op would require a surgeon to do what was most healthy FOR THE PT!

I can't think of a time I'd be more vulnerable to infection than opened up stem to stern, and waiting ( intubated? God knows...). My heart rate is speeding up again.

I've previously been told by surgeons that the facility can undo the work of even the best surgeons. Frankly, I've experienced it with neurosurgery and the research leading up to it.

Thoughts? (Wish we had a forum stat analysis about outcomes referring to MDs and facility! Ideally cross-correlated across factors)

Meanwhile anecdotal and per research (THANK YOU!

PS The aftercare facility matters similarly in considering what helps a person weather this enormous storm.
          Hi,

Dr. Neuwirth performed my surgery October 2008. During that year, Beth Israel was listed #1 in I can't remember what list for orthopedics. I had no complaints about Dr. N, his staff, or the hospital. I am very happy with my results and most of the time forget about my T3-L3 fusion.

Good luck,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thank you all for your feedback and good wishes. I apologize for being remiss getting back to you. I'm just getting the hang of navigating this site!

I'm encouraged to hear the positive feedback about doctors I've seen. I must say as far as he is, I'm getting tempted to try to get it with Dr. Lenke. Oh what the heck, why dream? I could never get scheduled before my insurance changes (for the worse ) Maybe Dr. Rand too. He sounds so nice as well as competent!
            Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Hi Amanda
              sorry i keep calling you "Back out"...kept forgetting your name...

i sent you a couple of private messages...

jess

Comment

Dr. Errico

How was Dr. Errico? I saw Dr. Rawlins at HSS, and thought he was okay, though he wasn't particularly interested in operating on my 50 degree curve, despite the pain I'm in. Errico is the only other "top guy" that seems to be in network for my insurance, so I am thinking of seeing him next. Any impressions you had would be helpful!
                ~~~~~~~
                Katey
                24 y.o./F/New York City
                50 degree thoracic curve w/ chronic pain
                No surgery...yet

Comment

I answered on your other thread about both Errico and Rawlins!

Comment

HSS has consistently low mortality and (VERY low) infection rates and they really know what they're doing there. However, the the nurses are cranky and overworked, so I suggest to everyone considering HSS that they supplement their care with a private-duty night nurse.
                    Chris
                    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

hey Back out, which thread did you post on? Having trouble locating it...
                      ~~~~~~~
                      Katey
                      24 y.o./F/New York City
                      50 degree thoracic curve w/ chronic pain
                      No surgery...yet

Comment

Hi, Katey.

See PM!

Comment

Working...
                        X