Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sit Up

Hello All,
    Sorry I haven't been on to post but dealing with all this postop issues has taken all my time - that all the naps I get too. Yea! I'm doing very well, 2 weeks postop. The thing that absolutely kills me right now is having to sit for any time at all. Called Kelly and she said that this was completely njormal. I just am anxious for it to pass. I try to sit for 15 minutes, then I'll lay down for a few minutes, maybe take a little nap if possible. Does this sound famililar to anyone else?

Radiogirl, I am so sorry I haven't called. My evenings are literally taken up by naps and trying to sit up and that usually requires some leaning onto something at that . I will try to call you tonight.
    Rita Thompson
    Age 46
    Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
    Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
    Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
    Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Hi Rita

Been there done that! I couldn’t sit for 5 minutes, it was the same routine, only I took hot baths. Sleep 1 hour, bathe 1 hour, sit 5 minutes. Repeat.

The first 4 weeks are the hardest. The improvements will come soon, it just takes time.

Take it slow, you made it! Congratulations.
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Rita, I was the same. Sitting for any length of time took a couple of months. Visitors would come and I'd sit for 10-15 minutes then I'd pace back and forth then sit for another 10-15 minutes then pace back and forth again. I could stand and walk no problem, but sitting was very uncomfortable and made me feel a little ill. I don't know why. But it got better and better until about 4-5 months, it was no longer a problem.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Rita, I also could not sit after surgery when I was in the hospital I would just close my eyes and try to sleep when they had me sleep it was so hard. Once I was home I still hated sitting. My husband and daughters would have to force me to get up and sit for 5 minutes but it was so painful. They finally took me to a Lazy boy store and had me sitting in chairs to buy me one that was more comfortable and I could recline back some and slowly get used to sitting again. That seemed to do the trick for me. I can't remember how long that lasted but I think it was around 6 weeks.
        Patty 51 years old
        Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
        Posterior T3- L4
        Pre surgery curves
        T-53degrees
        L-38degrees
        and a severe side shift to the right.
        Post surgery curves
        Less than 10 degrees
        Surgery April, 2006
        C4 - C6

Comment

Rita--Absolutely! Remember it well. That's why I was always so amazed that people could post on here. I couldn't sit long enough and my brain was not too well engaged either. It really does get better. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Rita - I remember for the first 6 - 8 weeks or so I just couldn't get comfortable sitting anywhere. I definitely couldn't lean back in any of the chairs we have here so I did a lot of pacing around the house at all hours (between naps!) When I did sit, I was most comfortable at our kitchen chairs - minimal padding on the seats and of course I didn't need a back cushion.

Our experiences are so different! What works for one person doesn't work for someone else...I guess you just need to find what works best for you. The one thing that most people would agree on however, is that it DOES get better!!

Take care!
            Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
            Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
            Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
            A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
            Achieved +70% Correction
            Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
            New Spine 03/19/2009
            New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Hi Julie, Your back is beautiful .

Wow,
              Shari

Comment

Originally posted by RitaR View Post
                Hello All,
                Sorry I haven't been on to post but dealing with all this postop issues has taken all my time - that all the naps I get too. Yea! I'm doing very well, 2 weeks postop. The thing that absolutely kills me right now is having to sit for any time at all. Called Kelly and she said that this was completely njormal. I just am anxious for it to pass. I try to sit for 15 minutes, then I'll lay down for a few minutes, maybe take a little nap if possible. Does this sound famililar to anyone else?

Radiogirl, I am so sorry I haven't called. My evenings are literally taken up by naps and trying to sit up and that usually requires some leaning onto something at that . I will try to call you tonight.
                sounds right to me. I remember sitting up watching TV and counting the minutes till I could go lay down. I think you're probably right on track where you should be. I seem to remember around the 2-3 week mark things started to get a lot better, although until then, I thought it never would.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Rita,
                  I was the same way for over a month.I could not sit for very long and would have to lay down.It does get better.
                  Aug.17,09 Anterior
                  Aug.20,09 Posterior
                  Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
                  Cedars-Sinai
                  Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
                  Husband married 30 years
                  3 kids 29,28,25
                  4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Glad to hear from you, Rita. Everyone is different, but it helps so much just to be able to share and comiserate with what we've all been through. I must really be weird because I spent most of my hospital days sitting in the chair all day, but Lord, I hated getting into that bed. Most people I talk to who've had any kind of back surgery complain about not being able to sit, but I couldn't lie down and sleep! I could not get comfortable, too painful to move, the pain drugs dried me out and I'd keep drinking (and then peeing which involved calling a nurse) and I swear I don't think I ever slept soundly the whole time I was there. There was a wall clock directly in my line of vision and I just watched the hours go by. Honestly, my sleep cycle is still kind of whacked and I still have most of my discomfort at night, but it all keeps getting better. Listen to your body--do what it's asking for and slowly, things will improve. Sending you a gentle hug from PA.

Anne in PA
                    Age 58
                    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                    T4 to sacrum fusion
                    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Rita,

Hi Girlfriend. It was so good to talk to you the other night...You sound great, if that's any consolation! You hang in there, and keep me posted, and ALL of us posted, on how you are doing. It's countdown time for me now!

Laura
                      Laura
                      62 degrees
                      49 yrs. young
                      Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Thanks all. I love listening to your posts. I was kinda concerned when I wasn't able to sit more than 5 minutes - get this, I sat in a straight chair for at least 20 minutes more than once today. Yea me!!!! This forum is the BEST!

Thanks Radiogirl! I appreciate you so much!!!! I'm cheering for you and how I'd give anything to be there for you on your day. But, you will do just fine, just as I did and have done. With lots of encouragement and a strong family, I have no choice but to do good! Today's been a very good day. I've been up more than other days and, although I'm now ready for bed at 9pm, I'm really doing pretty well. You go Radiogirl - You can do this! I can't wait until we can compare stories from "The other side". Don't forget to to practice your log rolling and read your postop Wake Up test paperwork, it will help you a bunch.

Talk to you all soon. Nighty night.... Zzzzzzz

PS: GEt this: My trunk is lined up again! YEA YEA ME!!!!!
                        Rita Thompson
                        Age 46
                        Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                        Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                        Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                        Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

What a great report!!! The encouragement on this forum is phenomenal.
                          Glenda
                          Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                          Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                          Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                          A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                          Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                          Pleased with outcome

Comment

Working...
                          X