Big Day Coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Day Coming

Well, I have one more work day , then my nesting day, and then the BIG DAY!!!
    Aaaarrrggghhh!!!! I feel like I am forgetting something. Hubby is a trucker, and he is getting home tonight for a month long leave. Getting my hair done on Wed, lol! They told me to go in with NO MAKEUP, NO NAIL POLISH, NO HAIR SPRAY. And NO CONTACT LENSES!
    Definitely not a beauty treatment. I might cheat and put a tiny bit of blush, and a little hair spray. Sheesh.

Tomorrow at work, I have to turn in my computer, my cell phone, and my company car. Feels like I am losing my job. But its company policy when you go on leave to turn in all equipment. Still.....

Wednesday, packing my bag with loungey pants, T shirts, warm socks, toiletries, my glasses, my Ipod, my Blackberry, robe. What am I forgetting??????
    Hair Appt., Wash my Sheets, Vaccuum the Floors, and Last Dinner Out

Making sure my hubby has all my numbers to call. Mom & Dad, Best Friend, Boss, Aunt,Kids
    Giving him my sign on for the forum: hopefully he will update, if we leave it up to me, haha I will not be making any sense! I remember sending some weird emails after my first surgery!

Oh Boy...
    May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Hey Kristy
    so glad for you that this day is here for you! i know it has been really hard to live with the problems that you have had to deal with...i hope this revision fixes that problem & is your last surgery needed!!
    you will be in my thoughts & prayers for a successful surgery & a smooth recovery...leading to the pain free, balanced & straight life that you deserve!!

jess

Comment

Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
      Wednesday, packing my bag with loungey pants, T shirts, warm socks, toiletries, my glasses, my Ipod, my Blackberry, robe. What am I forgetting??????
      This part actually got me to giggling, Kristy: I packed a whole suitcase full of crap for my surgery, and never changed out of my hospital gown. I arrived the morning of surgery wearing yoga pants, a sweatshirt and flip-flops - and I wore the same thing home.

You're not forgetting anything you can't get someone to bring you after surgery, and I know - deep down - you know this. It's just nerves ... and our minds have to stay busy.

I really hope this surgery does it for you and brings you permanent relief!

Hugs,
      Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

You're in my thoughts and prayers. I am excited for you-- FINALLY you'll get some resolution to your problem. Praying for a relatively quick recovery for you. Whether it's weird or not, we'll be looking forward to that first post from you! Hugs, Susie
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Kristy - I'm praying for an uneventful surgery for you, and that you will be having a quick smooth recovery - it will be great! Looking forward to hearing from you afterward! God bless and hugs!
          Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
          Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
          Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
          Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Good luck, Kristy. Hopefully you'll get all fixed up. Keep us posted. What hospital? OrthoIndy or one of the other hospitals?
            Age 56
            Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
            Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
            Thoracic 68
            Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
            Dr Bridwell St Louis
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
              This part actually got me to giggling, Kristy: I packed a whole suitcase full of crap for my surgery, and never changed out of my hospital gown. I arrived the morning of surgery wearing yoga pants, a sweatshirt and flip-flops - and I wore the same thing home.

You're not forgetting anything you can't get someone to bring you after surgery, and I know - deep down - you know this. It's just nerves ... and our minds have to stay busy.

I really hope this surgery does it for you and brings you permanent relief!

Hugs,
              Pam
              I am glad that you are getting your issues resolved! Tammy did all the same stuff you are and just like Pam we NEVER cracked her bag open except on release day for some going home clothes! Good luck to you!!!

Toby

Comment

Originally posted by TobyT View Post
                Tammy did all the same stuff you are and just like Pam we NEVER cracked her bag open except on release day for some going home clothes!
                Although I think that's pretty typical, Toby, I always find it funny!

I had a medium/large suitcase (the wheeled kind) in which I packed (no, seriously.) enough clothes - and SHOES, no less! - for a week of vacation.

Thank goodness I ALSO packed my hairbrush, ponytail holder, a few books and toothbrush/toothpaste in a tiny bag ... 'cause that's all I touched. The curling iron did NOT get used. I'd discourage anyone from wasting space in their luggage to bring one to the hospital.

If I had to do it all over again, that small bag is all I'd bring ... well, that and my laptop. That's the ONE item I had to ask anyone to bring me the day after surgery, which is when I think I was posting here again.

If I remember correctly, that packed suitcase sat in the corner of my bedroom (waiting to be unpacked) until I was about 2-3 weeks post-op.

Shoes and a curling iron. What the *hell* was I thinking?

Pam
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

That's so funny about never using the stuff you bring. I was convinced I had really narrowed it down due to reading what to bring on here. I too never used anything but the hospital "outfits" and went to rehab in what I came in. I may have used some stuff there but not much. Second week my sister and daughter used the curling iron on me, sort of, after my fake hairwashing with whatever that stuff is. I'm usually super particular about all that & I could not have cared less. Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Kristy -- praying all goes well for you. will look forward to hearing from you afterward.

Glenda
                    Glenda
                    Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                    Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                    Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                    A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                    Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                    Pleased with outcome

Comment

Kristy-You are in my prayers that all goes well for you

Melissa

Comment

I didn't need much at the hospital except a really comfy robe. I sat in the chair almost all the time--was so uncomfortable in that hospital bed. Your fusion is the same as mine. I cannot tell you how happy I am at 6 weeks out, even with some complicating issues. Hope this is the end of surgeries for you!
                        Best of luck!!

Anne in PA
                        Age 58
                        Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                        T4 to sacrum fusion
                        63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                        Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                        Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

All the best Kristy. I hope this signals the end of your problems and you start living your hard-earned and much-deserved pain-free, comfy life again.
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

One More Day

Had my last day at work today...that was weird, felt like my last day forever. Said goodbye to everyone... My best friend gave me a big gift basket.

About my suitcase: Lol! During my first hosp stay, I did change out of the ugly hospital gown and wore my lounge pants and T shirt. Much more comfy for me. I will not be wearing a brace this time so am super excited about this!

Had to have a last minute x ray today. Apparently my doc was doing his math tonight and decided he needed another xray. It is so hard to stand with my feet together and my hands in front of my shoulders. Felt like I was going to fall over.

Thanks for all the good wishes! I will take them all with me!
                            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

My prayers are with you for a successful revision, Krysti. I can’t even imagine going through this all over again. It sounds like you have a very supportive family and they will be there for you. God bless you.

Comment

Working...
                              X