Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about braces?

Hello everyone,
    I am a senior at Arizona State University in the bioengineering department. I have been living with scoliosis for a long time now, and have always been interested in the different types of treatment. I, myself, have never worn a brace, but have taken on somewhat of a research project for one of my classes. I have posted a small list of questions, and if you could please answer them via email I would really appreciate your help and input. Thank you so much.

1. Have you ever worn a back brace, if so what kind and for how long?
    2. How would you rate the effectiveness of the brace?
    3. What did you like about the brace?
    4. What did you not like about the brace?
    5. What changes would you make to the brace?

You can email me at tysonius@hotmail.com

Thank you again.
    Tyson

Yes I Am wareing a Brace. I Wear a TLSO Brace.I Am on My 5th year of wearing one.And I Am sapose to wear it until I'm Done growing.On a scale of 1 to 10 it would proabally be a 8.
    What I Like about my brace is Being able to choose what it looks like and I Get Simpathy! I Dont like ALOT Of things like I Get sweaty and Ichy and sometimes it hurts.
    For the changes I Would try to make it Amaller so the Girls can wear there fassion.
    Write me back!
    Ciera Rotering,

Comment

Hey TYson

I'm amanda and 1.wearing a boston brace(i think) i'm 1year into it and another year if it's good (2yr)
      2. 1-10 about 7-8
      3. *people can do what ever they want around ur stomach area
      *I get an x-tra set of books from school to keep at home so i don't carry them back and fourth.
      *I got a bus stop across the street from me (other than walking a .5 mile to the other one)
      *makes u stronger in self-esteem
      *buy billions of clothes
      * good for using ecuses on
      *keeps u warm in winter
      4. *to big
      *to long
      *to hard
      *to lumpy/clunky
      * hard to find clothes (if girl)
      *you have a limit on how long u can have it off.
      *not ur choice mainly ur parents
      * can't wear 'in style' clothes
      *tears clothes apart
      *hot\sticky
      * makes noise if some1 hits u on accedent
      * stabs into armpit creating pain/rash
      5.*more of a hard cloth not PLASTIC
      *not made with screws
      *more padding under arm pit
      * as fit as a pin to the person

I probably just wrote your project with all my feelings but I hope they come to good use.

tell me your grade when its completed
      amanda

Comment

Brace Questions

Hi Tyson,
        I wore a TLSO brace for five months. I stopped wearing it so now I am having surgery but I think I can answer some of your questions.
        1. As i mentioned gbefore I wore a TLSO brace for 5 months.( Boston Brace is another name for it)
        2. The effectivenss of the brace. My curve was to big so it didn't work so well but considering my curve and how it brought such a big curve down, a 7/10.
        3.I liked that I got sympathy from my friends, I could get people yto do things for me just by saying it was uncomfortable in my brace or I couldn'yt do it in my brce( I could do just about all the things I made them do it was just fun getting them to do thingd for me.My friends still don't know I could do thjose things )and you can go up to people and tell them to punch you in the stomach as hard as they can and watch their expression after they punch you( it's hilarious. Believe me)
        3. I didn't loke a lot of things about my brace. I t was hot and itchy. I couldn't wear the clothes I liked. It was uncomfortable to sit sometimes. IT HURT. I sometimes found it hard to sleep and worst of all everyone asking you what is that thing under your shirt.
        4. I would make it out of fabric so that you could bend more and wear the things you want to wear.
        I hope this helped you!
        ~*Lauren*~
        Braced for 5 months
        Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
        Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
        Surgery on April 26th 2005
        Fused from T3-L4
        Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

My View

I wore a Milwalkee Brace when I was in 8th grade. It starts from the chin to the hips with those aweful screw attachments in the back of neck. I had to wear it for 23 hours with one hour off a day for bathing.Wore the brace for 4 years. Right now I would rate the bracing as a 6 since I still having problems with my scoliosis at age 46. I found it to be comforting wearing the brace while I was sleeping. I didn't have any pain then. Having to deal with this brace in the summer time, sweating and not being able to go swimming. Improvements of the brace..I think a better idea would be finding a cure for scoliosis so that we can live our lives free of pain.

Butterfly46

Comment

Hi

Hi my name is Sam and i'm 13 years old i just got my brace 3 weeks ago and i'm not having any trouble with it sometimes i even forget i have it on. i went to the doctor's and he X-rayed me with the brace on and my bottom curve dropped from a 48 to a 35 degree so i'm hoping in 3 years i'll be straight. they put me in a milwakee brace i think its the one where a piece of plastic is up my arm really high but i've gotten use to that. what i like about the brace is: when my friends forget i have it on and they get really mad at me and try to hit me or punch me and instead of hurting me they hurt themselves. what i don't like about the brace is that i have to wear it for 23/7 it gets really hot and sticky. If i could change anything about the brace i would make it either have a way of cooling the inside of the brace so its not hot and sticky or i would change it to be so comfortable that people would never know they had it on. well hope that answers your questions bye ~Sammie~
            Last edited by davidgayle; 11-25-2004, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Re: Hi

Originally posted by davidgayle
              Hi my name is Sam and i'm 13 years old i just got my brace 3 weeks ago and i'm not having any trouble with it sometimes i even forget i have it on. i went to the doctor's and he X-rayed me with the brace on and my bottom curve dropped from a 48 to a 35 degree so i'm hoping in 3 years i'll be straight. they put me in a milwakee brace i think its the one where a piece of plastic is up my arm really high but i've gotten use to that. what i like about the brace is: when my friends forget i have it on and they get really mad at me and try to hit me or punch me and instead of hurting me they hurt themselves. what i don't like about the brace is that i have to wear it for 23/7 it gets really hot and sticky. If i could change anything about the brace i would make it either have a way of cooling the inside of the brace so its not hot and sticky or i would change it to be so comfortable that people would never know they had it on. well hope that answers your questions bye ~Sammie~

Comment

Working...
              X