FOR THE LADIES ONLY - I have a weird question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOR THE LADIES ONLY - I have a weird question

This morning while I was in my shower, and shaving certain private areas - if you know what I mean, I had this sudden thought that - how the heck am I going to continue doing this after surgery? While I was having this thought I was bent completely over in an arc to reach where I was shaving - sorry for the info but I'd really like to know how other people manage to keep this area nice and tidy after surgery? I know it's a weird question - so sorry
    Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
    Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
    Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
    Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

OH MY GOD!! You are too funny Lynnette!! LOL!! It's a valid question which I don't think is weird. Shaving is difficult especially right after surgery. I'm fused to L4/L5 so I can bend over a little but I pretty much go about the task blindly and hope for the best. I learned how to do that when I was very pregnant! : ) It's kind of funny when I think back about all my worries prior to surgery on how I would perform certain tasks and come to find out I just became very adaptable to my new limitations. I just do things as if I've always done them that way. It's weird. It's my new normal. Once you can maneuver in the shower after your surgery you'll just figure out for yourself how to do things. Believe me, it will get easier and easier to take care of yourself with every passing day. : )

Comment

Thanks Lisa7 - glad I gave you a laugh
      Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Lynette, in the first 6-8 weeks, you are probably not going to really care about it. I know myself, i pretty much lived in my flannellete (sp?) pjs (it was winter) and only got dressed to go for my walks. Having said that....If there's a will, there's a way! And yes, you will find what works for you. Word of advice...invest in a electric/battery operated shaver for those early days or consider waxing (last about 6 weeks). To all scolis..have a good weekend!
        Vali
        44 years young! now 45
        Surgery - June 1st, 2009
        Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
        St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
        Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
        Post -op - 5 degrees
        T11 - S1 Posterior
        L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

I read on here somewhere that someone put their razor on some kind of long stick or brush handle. If you have those little seats in your shower, you can at least prop your leg up. I do that to just wash feet and legs with the bath brush. I also switched to shower gel/liquid soap so I'm not constantly dropping the bar of soap! It is true that you just learn to do things differently. I have grabbers both up and downstairs and they pick up just about anything--even pieces of paper. I'm still in that early recovery no bend/lift/twist stage, but I have been able to function pretty well with the grabbers.

Anne in PA
          Age 58
          Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
          T4 to sacrum fusion
          63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
          Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
          Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

If you're going to go with a waxing. . .it's the perfect time to pop your Percocets!!!! (just saying. . .)
            Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
            Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
            Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

I was the one who taped her razor to a long handled wooden spoon. But I just cracked up at a vision that entered my mind while reading Anne's post...of using your grabber to hold the razor...

Sorry.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

You don't lose that much flexability, it just changes and you adapt. It is just like being 8 months pregnant when it comes to bending. I can't see much in the shower as I have to take my glasses off
                T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

I use a shower seat and have no problems at all. Change of topic but still related to the flexibility issue: I got in the back seat of a 2 door car today, took me a little longer than it used to because I am not as bendy but I did it! Being fused to the sacrum just takes some adjustments but is definitely doable.
                  May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Lynette,LOL....I wanted to ask that question but I was to embarrassed.I am fused to sacral and it is very difficult.I have to use a mirror and go really slow.
                    Naptown78,That is great that you got in the back seat.I cant even imagine trying to do that.Were you sore afterwords?
                    Aug.17,09 Anterior
                    Aug.20,09 Posterior
                    Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
                    Cedars-Sinai
                    Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
                    Husband married 30 years
                    3 kids 29,28,25
                    4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Add me to the list of people who went to a salon for waxing.
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

To All,

This one really made me laugh until tears. Just picturing everyone and then remembering myself. Things are not always funny at the time, but as you look back, somethings make you laugh like hell.

I have to thank you for the flood of chuckles you guys/gals have given me.
                        This brought back many other funny memories for me.

Thanks again, laughter hurts right after surgery, but it helps to heal!!!
                        Shari

Comment

That was great info guys - thank you all, and for your funny little anecdotes. I guess I won't care too much at first, then I'll either find a way somehow like you guys, or go get a waxing for the first time. I've always heard how painful waxing is, but mind you, after spinal surgery, I'm sure a waxing can't be as painful as having steel rods put in your back
                          Lynette - 44 years old.

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Comment

Lynette, I was worried about that too. Now that i am trying to do that post op, its like Lisa said. I pretty much cant do the arch thing anymore but i have to do it blindly with feeling around. lol Not trying to be gross. But I am gaining a lil flexability each week i think, but i dont think i will be able to bend that much again. So far I seem to get most of it okay.
                            -Bethany
                            pre-op L 74*
                            pre-op Th 56*
                            surgery scheduled for jan. 6th 2010
                            getting nervous

Comment

Originally posted by LynetteG View Post
                              This morning while I was in my shower, and shaving certain private areas - if you know what I mean, I had this sudden thought that - how the heck am I going to continue doing this after surgery? While I was having this thought I was bent completely over in an arc to reach where I was shaving - sorry for the info but I'd really like to know how other people manage to keep this area nice and tidy after surgery? I know it's a weird question - so sorry
                              Lynette,

Last summer (my first fused) I managed. Now that it's winter, all bets are off! LOL It can be done, but it's not easy when you can't exactly see what you're doing down there.

Whoever said previously that you won't care in the first few months was absolutely right. After that, you'll do what you have to do.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                              X