The end of a beautiful friendship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end of a beautiful friendship

Today, my 1 year anniversary, I was cut loose from my lovely surgeon. He doesn't want to see me again.

Woohoo!

My x-rays show everything in its right spot. He got up my x-rays from just after surgery and compared them side by side with today's. He seemed pretty pleased with himself and me, lots of smiles and encouragement, wished me a happy future, gave me a hug and said goodbye!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
    Today, my 1 year anniversary, I was cut loose from my lovely surgeon. He doesn't want to see me again.

Woohoo!

My x-rays show everything in its right spot. He got up my x-rays from just after surgery and compared them side by side with today's. He seemed pretty pleased with himself and me, lots of smiles and encouragement, wished me a happy future, gave me a hug and said goodbye!
    LMAO ... I was oddly sad when Hanson let me go. Feelin' ya, sister!
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Pam. It's been a strange kind of day, lots of "looking back", reminiscing and feeling a strange mix of happiness, relief, gratitude and luck. My partner says we have no hope of winning the lottery now, we've already had all the luck we could possibly have in one lifetime.

Comment

YEAH Jennifer!!! Congratulations on such a wonderful recovery. Keep enjoying life!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Congrats!

Hi JenniferG,
          I'm new to this forum after several years of a "break". Am I correct in assuming you had your surgery at 57? I'm 45 and I thought my window of opportunity was closing. I've avoided it b/c my pain is not that bad but now I'm noticing changes and I worry about the future.

No matter what age you are - I'm happy to hear about your success. Congratulations on a wonderful break up w/your surgeon.
          Nor

Comment

Debbei,
            Just realized your surgery was at around my age as well. I've seen Dr. Newirth before when I was in my 20s. Did he have any info regarding surgery in the 40's or 50's?
            Thanks, Nora

Comment

Originally posted by nora View Post
              Debbei,
              Just realized your surgery was at around my age as well. I've seen Dr. Newirth before when I was in my 20s. Did he have any info regarding surgery in the 40's or 50's?
              Thanks, Nora
              Nora,

I had my surgery with Dr. N at age 46. I am very pleased with my results. See my correction numbers in my signature. I didn't start having pain until the last year prior to surgery. I had gone 25+ years after my Milkwalkee brace fat, dumb and happy thinking that I'd dodged the bullet, and would never need surgery.

Dr. N told me (at 46) that if I were going to have the surgery, it should be within 5 years. I chose to have it sooner rather than later because 1) the nerve pain was driving me out of my mind, and 2) why have that surgery hanging over your head for years?

Where do you live? I'm in central NJ.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Next week we go to my sons last checkup (3 years) at Sick Kids hospital...he's 18 now. We have felt so safe with Patrick's surgeon and yes it is sad to be leaving and kinda scary. Just hope we will be as comfortable with his new "adult" ortho.
                Congrats on your one year anniversary!!
                Ramona
                mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
                diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
                also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
                fused T4 to L1

Comment

Hi Debbe,

Thx for your reply. Happy to hear I've got 5 more years to live in denial...no, seriously, the pain is very tolerable right now. Its the future I fear. Seems such a drastic, risky procedure for someone whose pain doesn't really interfere w/life. My curves are probably similar to your pre-surgery ones. Haven't been for an ortho check up in several years. I suppose that's where to start. I'm in Morris Cty.

Nora

Comment

Originally posted by nora View Post
                    Hi JenniferG,
                    I'm new to this forum after several years of a "break". Am I correct in assuming you had your surgery at 57? I'm 45 and I thought my window of opportunity was closing. I've avoided it b/c my pain is not that bad but now I'm noticing changes and I worry about the future.

No matter what age you are - I'm happy to hear about your success. Congratulations on a wonderful break up w/your surgeon.
                    Nor
                    Nora yes, I was almost 58 when I had surgery, but surgery into the sixties and even seventies is possible in some cases. I guess it all depends on the patient's general health and other possible complications.

I started to notice changes in my late 40s but studiously ignored it after a lifetime thinking I'd got away with doing nothing. But my 50s brought increasing curvature and discomfort. I was scared basically. I'd never had surgery before and dreaded that I might need it. But the younger you are when you have it, generally the better your recovery and sometimes, even your correction.

Good luck with your decision, Nora. I know it's not easy.

Comment

Thanks Debbe. Who'da thought it a year ago? We were the board's biggest scaredy cats. But it all worked out!

Thanks Ramona. I hope Patrick has a happy break up with his surgeon too. It's what we all deserve, isn't it.

Comment

Happy one year!!! 3 more days till mine, wow time flys!
                        Age 25 at time of correction
                        Sergery March 6th, 2009
                        T4 to L4

Comment

Thanks chello, and congrats to you too. Glad you're doing so great!

The year zoomed by.

Comment

JenniferG - Thanks for your reply as well. Despite the fact that the decision still looms, its a comfort to know others were also in my shoes.

Nora

Comment

Working...
                            X