New Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Here

Hi, my name is Leigh Ann. I'm new here..I'm 19. I had the scoliosis surgery about 3 years ago. And, the main thing that I've had problems with lately is that I really don't feel any different than the day I came home from the hospital. I mean, I have made a LOT of progress over the years. It wasn't until just recently when I can put on my socks by myself. I still have the usual aches and pains now and again. Sometimes, I blame my back on things in life. I was just wondering if other people felt the same way I do. Thanks. I'll look forward to replies.

I am a blunt kind of person, but the questions I have curiosisties over I'll try and ask as gently as possible. My struggles over the years (only began to turn a couple of years ago), much of it I will not write on a forum such as this because its too public. Feel free to private message me if you want, or email me.

I do have a few questions

:Where was your fusion from
    : Did you ever wear a brace
    : Have the doctors or yourself considered mild depression (I am not saying your depressed, but from what you've written you seem dispondent/a bit down on yourself)
    : Do you know why you feel the same way still that you did when you came home from hospital

Scoliosis surgery is a major event. Not only from the physical aspects, but also from a psychological impact. Because many of the physicallities from the surgery, are things that can't be seen (such as if you were in a wheelchair it would be obvious to everyone) but they alter the way you do stuff for the rest of your life, and it is difficult to come to terms with and deal with.

Alison

Comment

I wouldn't be able to say where my fusions are. My spine was in the shape of an "S" before surgery. The doctors did many fusions up and down my spine.

I didn't wear a brace. I was observed for awhile. But, when my body had a growth spurt, my curves suddenly got worse. So, bracing was not an option.

I don't think that I'm depressed. I have never thought of the possiblity of being depressed. And, if I was, I would think I would know it.

I just want to be friends with someone that knows what scoliosis is all about. It's always going to be with me. People who don't have scoliosis don't want to hear about it all the time, you know?

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

-Leigh Ann

Comment

Hi Leigh-Ann

Lots of fusions up and down your spine, that would make for a lot of metal in your back :-), would make for a good xray picture and an iteresting time in metal detectors.

The way I asked my questions, probably weren't the best way to ask them (whoops, I have a nasty habit of sticking my foot in my mouth and leaving it there). It may not seem like it, but even though my "scoliosis is always going to be there,always has and always will" I rarely think about it, and unless people see the scar, they do not even realise half the time. My motto in life is don't say I can't do it, cause I'll show you that I can, and if I break my neck doing it, at least I was enjoying myself doing it so it was a good way to break it. But in the same breath it is frustrating, 'cause when my back does get sore and reminds itself that I'm here, don't forget me, other people don't really "Get It"

I did post this somewhere else, but if you want to have a look at where I "come from" scoli wise, have a look at this link

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...p?threadid=582

its my "story" in as short an abridged version as I could make it :-)

best wishes

Alison

Comment

Working...
        X