Details about surgery.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Details about surgery.....

Hi my name is Lauren. I am twelve years old. I have a double curve. 65 and 54 degrees. I am getting surgery in april or may of 2005. I am pretty worried about it. I f anybody has had the surgery or is getting it, I would love to hear from you. Thanks
    ~*Lauren*~
    Braced for 5 months
    Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
    Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
    Surgery on April 26th 2005
    Fused from T3-L4
    Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Hi Lauren,
    It's so hard to tell you everything and there are so many things to say. My daughter had a double fusion 5 months ago. My best advice for you at the moment is to read through some of the threads here and ask specific questions. Send people private messages if you don't want to post about something but still want to know.
    Best wishes.
    Cheryl.

Comment

Cheryl,

Sorry for being not very specific. What i would like to know mainly is what happened on the day of surgery. i read your post "worried mom from australia". how is amber doing? i would love to hear from you . thanks
      ~*Lauren*~
      Braced for 5 months
      Fused from T3-L4

Comment

Hi Lauren,
        Amber is going really well. There are still some restrictions on her but she is happy with what she can do. Did you actually read that whole thread? It ended up being very long. I have seen a couple of others being pointed towards it so I must have written something worthwhile.
        Amber was in hospital the night before as she had to have some tests done on her heart before the surgery. All of the test are finished with by the time you get to the surgery date, so you are 'preped' just as with any other surgery. Amber was given a pre-med which was a mouthful of medicine, it made her sleepy. She is frightened of needles and we had asked for this to help her. She was taken down to the theatre where they put a mask on her face. They used this to put her off to sleep, then they put in all the needles that they needed. She doesn't remember too much for about 3 days. Looking back now she says she can hardly remember being in the hospital at all.
        I hope this helps you but ask what ever else you want to know. I'm very used to trying to explain things simply, but if you don't understand something or want to know more just ask, someone here will be able to help.
        Best wishes.
        Cheryl.

Comment

thanks

Cheryl,

i'm glad to hear that amber is doing well. yes, i did read that whole thread.you did write things worth while. i am also terrified of needles. i am giving my own blood which kind of werris me because i hate them so much. another quick question. how many days after surgery was it that amber was alowed to start walking? bye
          ~*Lauren*~
          Braced for 5 months
          Fused from T3-L4

Comment

I think it was day 3 that she got up and had a shower. 2 nurses lifted her out of bed with Amber trying to help. They helped her into a 'commode chair' and wheeled her into the shower, I washed her then she sat in a chair for awhile and then back into bed. It was hard for her and yes it did hurt her alot. But every day after that got better. By day 6 she could walk around the ward by herself and get in and out of bed with minimal help.
            To try and help with the needles, practice very slow deep breathing and really concentrate on it, look away as they 'do their thing'.
            Best wishes.
            Cheryl.

Comment

thanks

Cheryl,
              Thank you for telling me that. I will definately try the breathing when they do the needles. Do you know what degree Amber's curve is after surgery . Thank you.Bye
              ~*Lauren*~
              Braced for 5 months
              Fused from T3-L4

Comment

Amber's curves went from both in the 60's to 20 and 15 degrees. She gained 2 1/2 inches in height as well. She thinks that is a wonderful reason to get all new clothes.!
                I hope the breathing works for you. Let me know.
                Best wishes.
                Cheryl.

Comment

Hi

Cheryl,

Glad to hear that Amber got so much correction. That is great! She grew quite a bit too. I also said to my mom that I hope I grow so much I will need new clothes. I will definately let you know how the breathing works. Did Amber lose a lot of flexibility or are you stilo not sure how much she lost? Hope to hear from you!
                  ~*Lauren*~
                  Braced for 5 months
                  Fused from T3-L4

Comment

Amber is fused from T4 to L4. So none of that area will bend. She has to bend from the knees to get to the floor or pick anything up from say a coffee table. She was allowed at her 4 month check-up to gently bend forward from the hips. It sounds scary but she doesn't have to much trouble doing what she wants to. She is actually using her limitations to get out of things she doesn't want to do and I know that she can do more than she says, so it's not working for her anymore. Eg.. She will tell me she can't put her washing away because she can't reach the bottom drawer. I know she can because I saw her do it.
                    Best wishes.
                    Cheryl.

Comment

Cheryl,
                      Thanks for replying. My doctor hasn't told me where I will be fused from yet.That is good that she doesn't have much trouble doing what she wants to do. Sorry to keep asking al these questions but they weren't coming to me before. The other two that iI have are about how much weight did Amber lose and how long was Amber in the hospital after her surgery. I am a little concerned with the weight because I am fairly thin to begin withand I don't want my friends to think I have an eating disorder and get all worried from the lost weight. Also, has Amber gained back the weight she lost. Hope to hear from you! Bye
                      ~*Lauren*~
                      Braced for 5 months
                      Fused from T3-L4

Comment

Amber lost around 10kgs ( I think that is about 24 pounds), I wrote a started a thread called she's so thin because I was concerned about it. She has gained back 2 kgs in the last 3 weeks or so. She kept losing weight even after coming home, then it stopped and finally she is very slowly gaining. She was in hospital 9 days all up, but she went in the day before surgery so it was really 8. I think every doctor has their own time period that they like you to stay in for, and it depends on how you are.
                        Don't worry about how the questions come. You may find that you wake up in the middle of the night thinking of something you want to know.
                        Best wishes.
                        Cheryl.

Comment

Hi I havent been comingon here much because I dont think I can be of much help. I had surgery in England on August 11 2004 in bout 3-4 weeks I can do every thing again! I am goin to greece in November and in december I am going to Disneyland, and yes I can go on the roller coasters! Surgery wasn't that big a deal for me but I can say it took about 2 weeks to be able to sleep without being sore.

I was stood up the morning after surgery and I sat up in intensive care( by accident) and bout 4 days after surgery I ran up the stairs.

Surgery is alot advanced in England, I think I hope it will be every where lse too very soon

PS i had no pain in my back at all, only my ribs seeing as tha is where they got in.
                          40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

Thanks

Hello,

Thank you for replying Cheryl and Boo. Boo, that is amazing you can go to disney land. I won't be able to go on any roller coasters for a year which means missing on e of my favourite thing to do in the summer. The Canadian National Exhibition or as I and many others call it, the ex. Hope you continue to make a good recovery. Did you have an anterior or posterior spinal fusion? or did they do both? I know that I am having a posterior spinal fusion and thay are entering through my back

Cheryl, I read your thread she's so thin. I have on other question. How long was Amber's surgery? My doctor estimates that my surgery will take six hours and I will be in the hospital for six days following it. Lots of sixes! And one other question, did amber have an anterior or posterior spinal fusion, or did they do both?As I mentioned before IU will be having a posterior spinal fusoin. Hope to hear from you. Thanks for the answers Bye
                            ~*Lauren*~
                            Braced for 5 months
                            Fused from T3-L4

Comment

Boo it's good to hear you are going so well.
                              Lauren,
                              Amber had posterier surgery, it took around 6 1/2 hours then she spent 2 1/2 hours in recovery then 19 hours in ICU. Her surgeon likes his patients to stay in a full 7 days after the surgery.
                              Best wishes.
                              Cheryl.

Comment

Working...
                              X