Thanks to all of you!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to all of you!!!!!!

Thanks to all of you for keeping me sane through this time while I have waited for my cancellation with Dr. Lenke that I just got today. I'm really very excited (I think) but I owe all of my sanity here to all of you. You have listened and helped me tremendously. I cannot tell you how much this forum has helped me not only in knowing that I was not alone, but knowing there was always someone there who would listen with a friendly ear. You guys are the absolute best!!!! I will be thinking of you next week and especially Mar 1st on my surgery day. Thanks again!!!
    Rita Thompson
    Age 46
    Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
    Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
    Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
    Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

All the best

My wife is right behind you on the 8th....and you are correct this forum has been such a tremendous help......all because of the people here!

Best wishes!

Toby

Comment

Rita--I'm so happy for you! You are in really good hands with Dr. Lenke. I can't believe you got a cancelation--great news. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Most of us say we've gained a lot from these forums, including me.

All the very best to you for your upcoming surgery! It won't be long before you'll be answering questions for those on the "nervous anticipation" side.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Rita, Toby and T ... y'all hang in there: With such positive attitudes, you'll do fine.

Rest assured, LOTS of people will be thinking of you.

Pam
          Last edited by txmarinemom; 02-18-2010, 05:48 PM.
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

You guys are the best! I can't wait to be on the other side. I think?! Nervous here. Lots of loose ends to tie up here, but I'm sure it will all come to fit this weekend. Snow here on Fri and Sun - maybe I won't have to work tomororw. Don't want to worry about falling on the snow at this late date.
            Thanks to each and every one of you. I would love to meet each of you becuase we all have already been through so much.

Radiogirl, I can't wait to meet you!

Doodles, you are the best! You have made me feel so much better with your personal encouragement with Dr. Lenke. I appreciate that!

Talk more later. Have to get to work. Will post tonight while on the heating pad.... again.
            Rita Thompson
            Age 46

Comment

That is fantastic news Rita! I'm so happy for you. It will be wonderful to hear all your wonderful healing news after the surgery - you will absolutely do great as you have an outstanding positive attitude - which from what I understand is EVERYTHING!
              Lynette - 44 years old.

Pre-surgery thoracic 55 degrees
              Pre-surgery lumbar 85 degrees

Post-surgery thoracic 19 degrees
              Post-surgery lumbar 27 degrees

Surgery April 1st 2010.

Posterior spinal fusion from T9 to sacrum.
              Dr. Cronen at University Community Hospital - Tampa, FL.

Comment

Congrautlations!

So glad to hear about your surgery! Please feel free to ask questions as you get ready. I'm 3 weeks post-op tomorrow and I feel so blessed to have had Dr. Lenke as my surgeon!

After surgery I had so many questions I wanted to ask--but was so medicated it was a miracle that his face even came into focus when he came in the room to see me. I'll ask the questions at my post-op visit.

Comment

Hey Jen,
                  Thanks so much. So,do you remember postop recovery at all? I'm hoping I can at least acknowledge the fact taht it's over with. I want to enjoy that joy! But, bring on the drugs!!!!
                  Rita Thompson
                  Age 46

Comment

I guess everyone's experience is different but I remember saying one thing, "I can wriggle my fingers and toes". The minute I woke up, I knew it was over (and was surprised how quick!) and had to do that one test for myself. I felt no anxiety at all (premium drugs!) but I did feel relief. I was happy to just lie there and let the ICU staff do their thing. I had two epidurals so wasn't in pain.

My eyes were swollen shut from being face-down for 8 hours so I couldn't see anything, but I had a nurse stay with me all night and I remember she had a very soothing voice. I only asked for one thing, to lie on my side because up till my surgery, I always slept on my side. She called for help and they moved me onto my side but then I felt uncomfortable and asked to be moved back onto my back. I only felt discomfort, not pain. The ICU staff were very attentive, asking me if I had pain, testing with ice to ensure the epidurals were working and offering crushed ice for my mouth. They also gave me a lovely warm bed bath. Inhibitions, embarrassment, whatever, did not exist! I didn't really want for anything, I was very relaxed and I was surprised when morning came and my eyes began to open and it was bright daylight.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                    X