Spinal Fusion AGAIN??!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonia,

Glad to help. I am sure that now that you've found this wonderful forum you will continue to lean on all of us in the coming months. Surgery is tough, but it's even tougher trying to go it alone. All of us will be here for you as you continue this journey.

Susanna
    Susanna
    ~~~~~~
    Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

I am going in to have surgery for the second time next month, because apparently my spine didn't fuse to the rod properly. My first surgery was 2 years ago. The doctor told me that I may have to have another surgical treatment, but I didn't think it would be this soon. I hope that this is the last time, but I fear that it's only the beginning.

Comment

Hi again everyone!
        Just like everyone else here, I am so glad I found this site...it has been a tremendous wealth of knowlege and support! I had originally posted under the "Revision" area, but I had to reply to this thread. If you read my original posting there you can see that Kate's situation is alot like yours. She has been in pain for the past year and a half since her original surgery. While I love & trust her ortho. surgeon (Dr. Michael Ferrick), we too have been through so many pain meds (Lor-Tab, Tylenol w/codeine, Flexeril and darvocet) that we feel like a walking pharmacy. Dr. Ferrick is very conservative in his approach and wanted to make sure that her pain was not a temporary thing, I guess. Now that we have decided that waiting is no longer an option, we have to wait for a surgery date . Kate had the anterior/posterior approach to put the hardware in, and it has to come out the same way, which means we have to coordinate Dr. Ferrick and the Chief of Pediatric Surgery at Children's Hospital in Buffalo, NY...not an easy task, but we are on top of things!!
        My concern is that we are not sure one of the fusions is solid. If we take the rod out will she start "curving" again? She had a compensating curve on top (36 degrees) that was supposed to correct itself after the original surgery. I have recent pictures where her shoulder blades and shoulders still look bad and I don't think anything has changed there. You can also feel her rod by feeling her back and when she is in more pain than usual, you can feel it even more. I am so frustrated that I can't do anything for her.
        I realize I am rambling here, just getting some thoughts out...I hope this all makes sense.
        I sympathize with everyone in this situation and hope things go well for everyone!
        Kathy

Comment

tl57 and kate's mom,

My heart goes out to you, and your daughter. I can not imagine going back under the knife after having gone through spinal fusion once already. If you have not already done so, I urge you to make sure that you surgeon has LOTS of experience doing revision surgery. It takes a true artist and master to do revision, and I urge you to get two or three opinions from nationally recognized revision experts before moving forward. The doctor or hospital who did your first surgery may not be the right choice for number two. I know some names if you want them.
          Susanna
          ~~~~~~
          Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Hi Kathy...

I agree with Susanna and suggest that you at least get a second opinion before having your daughter undergo two more surgeries.

If your daughter has a non-fusion, the answer to your question is yes, her curve can increase.

Sorry you're having to go through all of this.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
            X