i need help and advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need help and advice

Im 13 years old (my mom Anne Sadeghpour wrote something a while ago) and i just found out i have scoliosis about 4-5 months ago. I have two curves, one of which is 50 degrees. Im getting surgery this December 29th. Im really scared.
    Im not scared for the surgery, cuz im sure it will go fine. Of course Im worried about what and what i wont be able to do afterwards. Currently, Im a dancer, horse back rider, musician, swimmer, and im involved in about a billion other sports including tennis. I already know that i can no longer really compete with other kids as far as sports go, and at least this wont affect my music.
    Lately i have found myself being very morbid about everything, because i cant find anyone that went through what im going through at my age.
    So it would help me alot if someone could give me thier educated advice. And if anyone wants to IM me my Instant Messaging Screen Name is yetanothersdekpr.

-With Warmth and Hope to You All,
    Soraya

Soraya,

I can't tell you how to feel, but I would hope that you find something positive to concentrate on. All the things you LOVE doing would be something positive to think about. Think about all the things you will get to do, AGAIN, after you have your surgery. Maybe for the first few months of your recovery, you can help with managing the teams or participate in other ways. I'm sure you can find something to do and some way to be involved.

I also think you will find lots of girls your age who have already been through surgery on this website/messageboard:

http://www.spinekids.com

I hope someone can help you brighten your day. You are doing GREAT - I promise!
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

hey

hi soraya,
      Im paige!!! I have had scoliosis scence i was 8 months old. also i swim a lot to. we have a lot of things in common from what i can tell. We are the same age,both swim and are having surgery at about the same time[ im having it in Jan.] my docter said that i can probly return to swimming[ not compotition] about 6 months after the surgery. You are involved with a lot of things!I only swimon a team, but i used to play soccer, dance[ for 7 years and just recently quit]gymnastices and cheerleading. the docter said i wouldnt be able to do gymnastics after the surgery so i quit just in case i got to attached to it. i sent u a privite message with my email in it if you wanna talk. my email is lassygal1@yahoo.com in case you dont want to check it.
      Hope to here from you soon!!!
      luve allways,
      *Paige*
      __-------______--------______-------__
      12years old had postier fusion Jan.22,o4!!

Comment

Your body will tell you...

I was diagnosed with scoliosis at 13, and had surgery at age 22. I am now 26 years old. I was devastated when I found out I had to have the surgery... after years of wearing a brace, and hoping my back would stop curving... it only got worse. I was also very active before surgery. I have found that everyone's surgeries are different, give us different results. For example, if my fusion was longer in length than someone elses, I might have less flexilbility. It all depends. So what can and can't you do after surgery?

I have found that my body tells me when I have pushed too far. I used to teach horseback riding. I LOVED it. so against doctor's orders, off I went 2 years after surgery! Walking and loping was ok, but trotting caused me 2 weeks of pain. It was simply too jarring. I can play tennis, but since I can't twist around fully, I don't play quite like I used to. You just do things differently, to compensate for the changes. I DO downhill ski, but carefully (I ski controlled, and no more speedy skiing where you're not really in control), so I don't take a bad fall. I swim, bowl, play ultimate frisbee, flag football, jogging... although running on pavement causes me a little pain.

My best advice, after listening to your doctor, is try things out slowly, and let your body tell you whether or not its bad. IF something causes you even a little pain, STOP. For a little while, all exercise will make you sore. Your muscles will be weak, as they will have spent a year doing nothing. So start exercising a little at a time.

You will find that your back surgery won't keep you from doing the things you enjoy... in fact, you'll feel more confident in the way you look, and you'll feel more positive in general.

I was a miserable person in my teenage years, all about the "Why ME?! God hates me" attitude. There are so many people worse off! And yes, there are people better off. (my brother has no physical issues at all) But you can't spend your life comparing yourself to others. Be glad you have caring parents who are trying to get your back fixed.

Good luck! I know I'm not the same age as you are, but I was when I was diagnosed, and I was very negative and depressed too. Now I look back, and I wish I had spent that time doing other things!
        Rachel

Comment

possible

Hey you dont need to be alone any more. Hey my name is Ali. I'm 15, almost 16. I had scoliosis surgery about two and half years ago. YOu know what I don't know who've you been talking to but you will be able to compete in sports. I'm a living example. I play soccer for my high school. star player and only a spohmore, i'm a caption on my team. I made all-reagion. and I'm going for All-state, which i'm a semi-finalist in right now. I'm trying out for my basketball and football team next year and I know I'm going to be great becuase I have spent almost all my time since my surgery towards my school work and athletics. I have been working out and trying to stay in shape. I'm putting it all to the test the next couple of weeks. And you want to know what, I never thought I would make it, but I am, and you know what I don't care right now if I have to be a walk on in college but I'm going to play in college to. So you know what, always think positive, *and if it helps* what i thought about, was keeping myself from living on the couch, and being fat, and having to have people take care of me. that's the thought that kept me working. So you keep working alright. I hope your surgery went well.
          email me some time at Alleycat017@hotmail.com
          alright, cya -Ali

Comment

i have scoliosis and still waiting for an operation to take place
            and i have a curve of 80% the sooner i have this operation the better
            from
            ben
            Ben Thrower

Comment

Hey Ali--so, did you get the okay from your parents and your doctor to play football? It sure sounds like it! I read a post you had on another part of this forum asking if it was safe. If you got the okay to play a full contact sport like football, that should give all kids facing Scoliosis surgery all the hope in the world of doing whatever they want to. GO FOR IT ALI!! I'm so proud of you for not letting your Scoliosis slow you down in any way. You are an inspiration to all of us!

Comment

Working...
              X