Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod removal due to infection??

So.

I had rods put in and the spinal fusion surgery about 2 and a half years ago, and everything had been fine until this Sept. What appeared to be a cyst appeared right on my scar, where my incision had been, which I found weird in the first place. I went to the doctor, and the doctor drained it, and I went on my way. We waited for it to heal, but it still hasn't. It's like a chronic infection of some sort...So my parents and I investigated further; did x-rays, lab tests, all that good stuff. Once they looked into it, the source of the infection seemed to be my rods. We called the orthopedic surgeon that put it in, and he said we would probably have to take the rods out, since they were probably infected when they were put in. What's that about? My rods were infected with staph somehow?? Has this happened to anyone at all? Does the actual rod removal hurt? I'm scared that my back will curve again. I'm scared that I'll even have to go through the surgery again...is it just as bad??

Any answers would be greatly appreciated. The surgery to have my rods removed is scheduled for the first week in January...

Thanks,
    Melody
    *JUNE 7, 2005*

Amo ergo sum.

I love therefore I am.
    <3 Melody

Hi Melody...

The rods would have been sterilized before they were implanted. Staph (and other bacteria) is everywhere in the environment, and can be introduced into the incision at the time of the surgery, despite all the precautions taken by the medical staff.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that your fusion is solid.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

i just had this happen to me. The staph had been growing for 2 years and the rods were recently removed when it was discovered! I am now on iv antibiotics for 8 weeks. Then i expect to be on oral antibiotics for an additional 6 months.

Comment

Yeah, I had my surgery about 2 years ago too, what a coincidence. Anyway, does it feel any different without your rods? I heard you get a lot of muscle spasms. Did that happen to you? Do you have to stay in the hospital for the IV antibiotics? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just so curious
        *JUNE 7, 2005*

Amo ergo sum.

I love therefore I am.
        <3 Melody

Comment

I had surgery in Sept. to remove all rods and instrumentation... i didn't have infection that i know of.... It would have been 2 years in October when i had the original surgeries. My fusion was solid.... the removal surgery was still major surgery, but nothing like the first one... much easier recovery. Muscle spasms are a major problem afterwards, tho.

Comment

hey,

to reply, i have not had any spasms and the doctors "say" the fusion is solid although i'm not sure if i can believe them. As for the surgery it is SOO much easier than the surgery to put them in. I had my surgery on december 17th and I am almost without pain and very mobile. I can't wait to get out of the house, i wasn't feeling this good until probably 6-8 weeks after the first surgery. The iv antibiotics are administered at my house twice a day taking around 2.5 hours total. Your insurance will hook you up with a medical company that provides you with an iv pump and all the supplies necessary. The will even come and teach whoever lives with you how to administer it to you. It is possible to do it yourself but it is best to let someone else to do it at the beginning. The only bad things is that the antibiotic i am on(cipro) makes my stomach fairly quesy.
            Hope this helps

Comment

Alright, thanks for all your help. I'm not as scared as I was before. By the way, how old are you? I'm 17. I really appreciate all your help
              *JUNE 7, 2005*

Amo ergo sum.

I love therefore I am.
              <3 Melody

Comment

My friend is a surgical nurse for an orthopedic surgeon and she said hardware/implants come wrapped and should only to be removed from their wrapping when the surgeon is ready to put it in the body. If something holds up the placement and the hardware/implant is unwrapped - they are suppose throw it away and open a new one because after a few seconds it can become contaminated. Some doctors trying to save money will use them anyway. My friend has seen a hip replacement done with the hardware unwrapped for a few minutes before putting into the patient. Someone on the surgical staff reported the doctor to the hospital and the patient had to be called back in for surgery to replace hardware. I had surgery and got staph infection at NYU and I was at NYU Medical Center emergency room for my infection, as I was waiting for the doctor, I noticed the box where they are suppose to put used needles – was over flowing onto the floor and coming through the box, I couldn’t believe my eyes, I also noticed how old and run down the hospital is, they are remodeling but too much construction going on near patients. I researched and chose my surgeon because he was chief of orthopedic surgery and the doctor and hospital had a good reputation - so you never know, you pray that everything goes well . I will be going in to have my hardware removed in a few months.

Sue

Comment

i'm about to turn 21. did you wear a brace before surgery? I had a brace from age 8-18 until the curves got too large.

Comment

No I never wore a brace. By the time they caught the scoliosis I had a 75 degree thoracic curve and a 71 degree lumbar curve

I'm now 2 weeks post op from my hardware removal and I'm in outrageous pain, thanks to muscle spasms. Soooo many muscle spasms, and none of my pain medications are helping them. It sucks =[
                    *JUNE 7, 2005*

Amo ergo sum.

I love therefore I am.
                    <3 Melody

Comment

good luck

hi,
                      sorry i can't offer you any advice. my rods are still in place... so far... i'm starting to have problems again. but i just wanted to say good luck with the recovery and i'll be thinking about you and wishing you luck from the other side of the world.

get well soon
                      p.s muscle spasms suck ass... i've got them really bad at the minute

Comment

Working...
                      X