Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod Removal (SURGERY AGAIN!)

Hey everyone.
    About 6 months ago I started to notice that when I sat down, there was a lump in the center of my back and it would rub against the back of the chairs. Well it kept progressing and I asked one of the docs I work for and she said it felt mechanical (the rods). I called Shriners, who did my surgery 3 years ago, and they couldn't get me in for over 2 months. Well, my appointment was finally yesterday and the lump in my back is a screw that created a bursa next to the skin and is resting on the tissues next to the skin. I also have a broken wire, so with all these problems, the surgeon decided that the rods, screws, and wires need to come out.
    I'm scheduled for surgery on February 3rd, 2008.
    Can someone help me with this? Is it going to be like the first one?
    Thanks.
    Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
    www.myspace.com/ross40728
    Had surgery on 9/20/04
    81* Scheuermann's Disease
    40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
    U Rod Inserted
    Fused from T2-L3

I had my original surgery 2 years ago in October....t-4 to s-1.... and for first few months was much improved... then seemed to start going downhill again as far as pain and mobility was concerned... On Sept. 11 of this year, i had surgery again to have all the rods and screws removed as they had become loose and irritating nerves and tissues. Although it was not a 'piece of cake' it was nowhere nearly as bad as the first surgery(s). He went in the same long incision in my back, so i had all those staples again..... but that was the only incision... no anterior cuts or bone graft sites to recouperate from. One thing that was worse for me this time was the muscle spasms i experienced. I was back at work in 4 weeks... and today i can walk much straighter and with much less pain!

Good luck to you!

Comment

hey,

the same things with the rods is going on with me right now. I had my surgery 2 years ago and a rod is protruding pretty far. I am having the rod removal in 3 weeks. best of luck to you. I'm expecting it won't be near as difficult as the first and am planning on working full time by january 14th.

-faris

Comment

I think you fair better on the second surgery. They aren't moving your spine so there is less pain. Also you already know how to move post-op (log roll, etc.) so there is less pain there. I think you will find that your recovery is quicker the second time around.
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

I had surgery on August 9 to remove all the old hardware (same thing - a hook came loose and was prodtruding) and had some new hardware put in. I was in the hospital for less than a week and back to work 8 weeks later. Much better than the first one.
          ParrotOtis

Comment

Working...
          X