one year anniversary- May 4th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one year anniversary- May 4th

This is my one year anniversary and as you all know life is not good for me right now. I am in the middle of packing and trying to sell my house and move to CA . I have a broken rod and non-fusion and cannot get anyone to give me pain meds that help. I am looking forward to getting a July surgery date which will give me something to look forward to. By the way, my 18 year old daughter who was such a big help last year has run away from home and is living with her married boy friend.

Melissa

I'm sorry your anniversary is so sad and painful Melissa. The good thing is, you're on the road to getting your back fixed. You've been to hell this past year, but you're on your way back.

18 y.o. daughters can break your heart. But right now you have to focus on yourself. There's very little you can do about your daughter. Daughters of that age are quite head-strong and think they know what's best for themselves. She will take care of herself...or learn from her mistakes. There is plenty of time for her to put her life right and only she can do that. Right now, you have to pack, sell the house, and get to California to get your surgery, all with severe pain. That is quite enough on your plate. When you're better, and strong, then you can worry about your daughter and all those other problems. Your day will come Melissa.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
      I'm sorry your anniversary is so sad and painful Melissa. The good thing is, you're on the road to getting your back fixed. You've been to hell this past year, but you're on your way back.

18 y.o. daughters can break your heart. But right now you have to focus on yourself. There's very little you can do about your daughter. Daughters of that age are quite head-strong and think they know what's best for themselves. She will take care of herself...or learn from her mistakes. There is plenty of time for her to put her life right and only she can do that. Right now, you have to pack, sell the house, and get to California to get your surgery, all with severe pain. That is quite enough on your plate. When you're better, and strong, then you can worry about your daughter and all those other problems. Your day will come Melissa.

Thanks for the advice. Tomorrow I get to have my three CT Mylegrams.I am really not looking forward to it

Melissa

Comment

This sounds like good advice and saves me typing. I have a 17/yo daughter and she is very headstrong and opinionated and if she wants to do something she will and no one will stop her. She's graduating in June at 17 and is thinking of moving back to the big city Victoria but also wants to stay here in CR to live in comfort at home and do art and be creative and enjoy the scenery. They'll do what they want to do.

Do what you need to do for yourself so you can be strong for you first.
        Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
        Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
        Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
        http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Melissa--
          I have 4 daughters, the youngest 23, and I managed to survive it. It can be so tough. But you have more than your share to deal with already. I can't add anything beyond Jennifer and Elise's great advice and that I'm thinking and praying for you. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Good luck tomorrow! I hope it's not nearly as bad as you're thinking. Let us know how you go. It's another step in the right direction.

Comment

Good luck tomorrow! I hope it's not nearly as bad as you're thinking. Let us know how you go. It's another step in the right direction.
              Thanks I will

Comment

Do what you need to do for yourself so you can be strong for you first.

Thanks I have to remember that

Melissa

Comment

Thanks for the kind words and the good advice

Melissa

Comment

Dear Melissa,
                    I am so sorry to hear all you have been through. I must say you sound like a very brave and strong woman able to move forward after one very challenging year. I don't write often, just usually read the posts, but my heart really went out to you. I am just 10 weeks post revision surgery and so far so good. I too have faced many crisis in the middle of all this. I have a 17 year old who I needed to send away for multiple problems including violent behavior,who is scheduled to come home in 2 weeks. I am not sure I'm ready for this but I have no choice. I have come to understand through the professionals we have worked with, there comes a time to just let go and let them learn from the school of hard knocks. It is not a reflection on you or your parenting. I will let him go if I need to. This is hard for the best parents let alone one who is suffering and in pain. You are doing the right thing taking care of yourself. You are important. Stay strong, I'll keep you in my prayers. Cyndi

Comment

Wish me well . I am off to the hospital for my tests

Melissa

Comment

This was the worst test that I have ever had. Getting in the position of laying flat on my stomach was so painful for me.Then they turn you into different positions causing more pain. The needle was not painful as my nerves have never come back so I have no feeling there.

Melissa

Comment

Glad it's over Melissa. Sorry it was so awful. When will you have the results? Are they sent directly to Dr. B in Ca?

Comment

Glad it's over Melissa. Sorry it was so awful. When will you have the results? Are they sent directly to Dr. B in Ca?
                            No I overnighted the CD to him

Melissa

Comment

Thinking of you. At least this part is over now. And I'm really sorry about your daughter.
                              Female, age 38
                              4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
                              currently 64*upper/40*lower
                              Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
                              now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Working...
                              X