• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POSNA's position on scoliosis <40*

http://www.posna.org/education/Study...r40Degrees.asp
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

POSNA on Scoliosis &gt;40*

http://www.posna.org/education/Study...aterThan40.asp

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

So according to the first article, >30* are still at risk for progression but >50* is more at risk. That's a no brainer. Almost all of the articles I've read cite >40* as something significant but the >50* seems to be the surgical trigger. Those of us in the 40* - 50* range are completely left hanging. It's very frustrating, especially when the curve/s are painful. The article also states:

"However, even scoliosis over 40 degrees was likely under this size at some time."

That's a really "DUH" statement. Why would anyone even say that? Isn't that just common sense to know? (rhetorical question)

The second article says:

"Most patients with deformity desire correction"

If that were true, we wouldn't be reading about so many people with very large curves being indecisive about this surgery. I can tell you from personal experience, if my back didn't hurt, I would have NO desire to even consider surgery. I don't know how they can make such an assumption.

I believe that the article that I posted the other day stated a MUCH smaller curve size than 60* as impacting lung function. I'll have to go back and re-read it now.

I don't mean to shred these articles, but the only real information that can be deduced from them is that surgical treatments are getting better but still carry risks. I do find it interesting that they mention the angle of 30* again.
      Last edited by rohrer01; 01-13-2013, 06:07 PM. Reason: I hate typos!
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

Rohrer... completely agree with everything you said!

I especially agree that 40* - 50* is a no man's and for some reason. There is no specified treatment at all in that range for adolescents at least. Adults are always watch and wait.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Okay, I'm overlapping threads here.

Here is a reference cited from the article I posted earlier. I don't have access to this article, so if someone else does, it would be nice if you could post it here. It seems to indicate that lung function is altered, although not to dangerous levels, in even the small curves as noted in the original article.

29.Mankin H, Graham J, Schauk J: Cardiopulmonary function in mild and moderate scoliosis.

J Bone and Joint Surg 1964, 46A:53-62.

As far as living in "no man's land", I'm pretty sure that the indications for surgery are pain, degeneration and loss of function. Pain being the largest driver on board. Otherwise, it's watch and wait for progression which will inevitably occur due to age related degeneration accelerated by the scoliosis.
          Last edited by rohrer01; 01-13-2013, 06:09 PM.
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
            I can tell you from personal experience, if my back didn't hurt, I would have NO desire to even consider surgery.
            I'm sure there are many, many people who feel the same as you do.

Of course, I can't say for sure as I'm not in this position, but I would definitely expect myselft to be one of them if I were :-)
            mariaf305@yahoo.com
            Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
            Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Working...
            X