Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food for thought

The osteoporosis milk myth.

Feeling a little low on Bovine growth hormone?

http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

The results of studies using CaD supplementation have confusing results. In the WHI study, CaD supplementation in post menopausal women led to a statistically significant increase in bone density when compared to the placebogroup, but not a statistically significant decrease in fracture rate (when compared to the placebo group). Of course, this study did not look at CaD supplementation in premenopausal women, but then again, osteoporosis is less likely to be an issue in younger women.

You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

....got to go, i need to take my Calcium Vitamin D pills. Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I stopped taking calcium/vit.D tablets years ago. My bone density has increased since I began my walking regime since prior to surgery almost 5 years ago. Hoping that's all I need into the future.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
        The osteoporosis milk myth.

Feeling a little low on Bovine growth hormone?

http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/

Ed
        I always think I should to buy this program. It seems to be a fact all I was reading they says. I believe it was a Noble prize who many years ago alerted about the risks of an acid body pH. It seems to be something catastrophic, also allowing not only bacteria proliferation but parasites, fungus, worms..
        Certainly the milk seems to not be something good, I have read recently about why is not possible to adults to digests it, because the lack of an enzyme only produced until the second year of life. And process done seems to be something disastrous.. homogenized milk seems to be the worst.

Comment

Can I point out that growth hormones are banned in Europe, so anyone from the UK or mainland Europe needn't worry about those.

Also, it seems that conventional medicine holds that it is impossible for a diet to have any effect on the body's pH, apart from the pH of urine. There's an article on Quackwatch written by an MD which discusses this.

I don't know about milk helping or hindering bone strength though! That program is written by an alternative practitioner rather than an MD (she has an MA in Nutrition and Biochemistry - I wonder why that's not a MSc?) and it seems very expensive for what it is. If you want to avoid dairy products, tofu and green leafy veg are good sources of calcium.

Comment

Certainly I have read about PH, not body PH, I supposed it was the way to refer to it. I want to buy PH tests, used in urine, blood and saliva and see if it is possible to change my high PH with diet.. it sounds reasonable for me, but if there are theories showing the contrary, sure it's not.
            Yes, I have heard about tofu and green leafy as good sources of calcium. Also about sesame. I also have heard about the importance of vitamins D, K and Zinc.
            It seems to be a fact the extreme low ostheoporosis level in China, where dairy products are not consumed.

Comment

After reading the article and ensuing discussion, it smells of PETA. I don't believe in animal cruelty at all, but I do believe milk has its place in our diets. I can't drink milk, but do use milk and milk products in my cooking. But, for those that don't want to drink milk or eat milk products... don't. Milk has been in the human diet for thousands of years...
              Be happy!
              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
              but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                Milk has been in the human diet for thousands of years...
                Yes, it’s what I always thought.. of course not homogenized, pasteurized and skimmed as we does.
                People against milk always argues that only calves drinks it, but I was not sure if it was really true, that is, what could happens if cows allows bulls to drink her milk? They’ll refuse to drink it anyway?
                I supposed that probably in many mammal specie, living in their own natural habitat, if they would be allowed, adults would drink milk. Adults cats loves to drink milk because we allows them.. surely in their habitat they would does the same.
                But some days ago I have read that casein is not digested by human adults and is present in every dairy product, so I don’t believe it any more.. at least for humans.

Comment

Interesting how we were brought up on milk and now just googling “Is milk bad for you” produces all sorts of information. Harvard studies, and the USDA food pyramid are discussed in this video by Dr Mark Hyman.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mar..._b_558876.html

I’m learning all sorts of things...but seriously “Seaweed?” I didn’t think people ate seaweed. lol

I guess if I have bone loss as I age, my titanium hardware will support me. (smiley face)

Also interesting how no matter what diet you eat, everyone mentions exercise. There is not one health related webpage that misses this.

Thanks for the posts guys....

Ed
                  Last edited by titaniumed; 01-23-2014, 08:37 PM.
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Seaweed can be very tasty Ed :smile: it's often used in Japanese cuisine. I eat regularly at a sushi bar and always have a yummy bowl of seaweed as a side.

Comment

Some people as paleolithic diet folks believe that every dairy products are bad for all humans, others believe that what is bad are current processes http://www.naturalnews.com/036568_pa..._bacteria.html and others believe that not alll products are bad/not for everyone:
                      ' In most human populations, the ability to digest lactose contained in milk usually disappears in childhood, but in European-derived populations, lactase activity frequently persists into adulthood (Scrimshaw and Murray 1988). It has been suggested (Cavalli-Sforza 1973; Hollox et al. 2001; Enattah et al. 2002; Poulter et al. 2003) that a selective advantage based on additional nutrition from dairy explains these genetically determined population differences (Simoons 1970; Kretchmer 1971; Scrimshaw and Murray 1988; Enattah et al. 2002), but formal population-genetics–based evidence of selection has not yet been provided'
                      It seems that lactasa is not present in some products as yoghurt.
                      If just only a 10% would be true about what we can read about milk, surely it would explain the 90% of human diseases.. probably also scoliosis, who knows..

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                        Interesting how we were brought up on milk and now just googling “Is milk bad for you” produces all sorts of information.
                        This made me wonder, if we substituted another word for milk, what would come up? It seems that everything is bad for you nowadays - LOL!

I was thinking one day (and I am NOT suggesting that anyone should adopt an unhealthy diet) that a big treat when I was a kid in the 60's was when my dad would take me to "Nick's" for a hot dog and a root beer. I would hop up on the stool and drink from one of those plastic cupholders with the cone-shaped liners inside and have one of the best hot dogs in Brooklyn.

Nowadays, both things (hot dogs and soda) will kill you apparently.
                        mariaf305@yahoo.com
                        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf View Post
                          This made me wonder, if we substituted another word for milk, what would come up? It seems that everything is bad for you nowadays - LOL!

I was thinking one day (and I am NOT suggesting that anyone should adopt an unhealthy diet) that a big treat when I was a kid in the 60's was when my dad would take me to "Nick's" for a hot dog and a root beer. I would hop up on the stool and drink from one of those plastic cupholders with the cone-shaped liners inside and have one of the best hot dogs in Brooklyn.

Excellent points. And humorous also. :-)

I think if people limited their google searching to legitimate medical and science sites, much of the apparently conflicting and confusing information would disappear. There is more nonsense out there than you can shake a stick at.
                          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf View Post

I see the resistance to harmful food as something similar to what occurs in boxing. Some people may resist strong punches without any problem and others may get hurt with weak punches.
                            I believe it's also a genetics quality issue. And what kind of genetics quality we may expect from someone having something as scoliosis..

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                              I think if people limited their google searching to legitimate medical and science sites, much of the apparently conflicting and confusing information would disappear. There is more nonsense out there than you can shake a stick at.
                              Only too true. I would always ask myself if the person promoting a novel new health fad has any money to make from doing so, too......

Comment

Working...
                              X