Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Questions: First.. Hot yoga?

Hi there,

To introduce myself, I'm a 21 y/o female and was diagnosed with scoliosis at 15. My curvature is quite severe - 60 degrees (last checked when I was 15) right thoracic I believe.

I'm just wondering if any of you have tried hot yoga to treat the discomfort of scoliosis and potentially correct the curvature? I tried it once, and lemme tell ya, it was torture! I'm not that athletic to begin with so any sort of strenuous exercise gets me panting pretty quickly. I do yoga at home on my own (Yoga for Scoliosis by Elise Miller), but nothing like that. If you don't know what it is, basically it's yoga done in a studio with sauna-like temperature and humidity. BUT *afterwards*, I felt amazing! My back just felt... comfortable.. balanced. Maybe that happens with any time of strenuous exercise?? Sadly I don't do enough of it to know. I've read testimonials on the local hot yoga center's website and apparently it helps scoliosis. I'm thinking of bearing the pain and start to go on a regular basis. Just thought I would check in on other scoliosis patients' experiences with it.

Second question -- do scoliosis patients tend to have bulging bellies from the curvature? I've always been very skinny but for some reason I have this flab on the tummy area where my belly button is. If I don't suck in, I literally look pregnant. It looks like my dad's beer gut. Is it possible to flatten it with push ups or something?

Thanks for reading.

Hi q_fruit. I do Bikram yoga which is in a room heated to 105 degrees. My former chiropractor suggested it. I love it and feel amazing afterward as well.

Comment

i could never do yoga..even sitting on a pillow for any length of time hurts too much! i used to go to the gym 3-4 days a week (cardio and some weights) before ther pain got sooo bad...i cant excercise anymore...am happy if i can just walk my little maltese a few blocks...poor baby doesnt get enuf walks with me!

i think my degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis and arthritis of spine make it too hard...bending is a PROBLEM!!
      i used to do "cat" stretches in the gym...but no more...
      at 40 thoracic & 61 lumbar, with rotation of spine and listhesis of L3 on L4 and L4 on L5, i will be discussing surgery (once again) with NYC scoli surgeon on april 12th...

best of luck to those who can still exercise!

jess

Comment

If it feels good, it's probably doing you a lot of good. So, it doesn't make any difference if you hear from others that it does or doesn't "work" for them.

Lumbar scoliosis curves can definitely be associated with a prominent abdomen, although it's more common that the prominence is just a genetic thing. A lot of very thin people have poor abdominal musculature. Did/does your mother have the same issue? If the scoliosis is causing the bulging, you'd have a fairly severe lumbar rotation of the spine (more than one would typically have with a 60 degree curve). If the belly is significantly more prominent on one side than the other (typically, the left side would be more prominent), that would be a sign that there's some association with your curve.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
          If it feels good, it's probably doing you a lot of good. So, it doesn't make any difference if you hear from others that it does or doesn't "work" for them.
          Thanks for that great piece of advice, Linda!
          34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
          Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

I have mild lumbar scoliosis, and also do Bikram. It helps my back pain, but I do think fair warning should be given to anyone choosing Bikram. The teachers tend to push students, which has sent me into spasms several times, where I have had to stop all exercise for a good month or so. Now, I go at my own pace no matter what, skipping certain poses at times if need be. The heat tends cause students to over stretch as well. I also believe that it is a practice that really does not do much good unless it is kept up regularly. I took my daughter who has a large thoracic curve. She loved it, but after watching her, I realized there is no way she should keep it up unless she modified the poses for her curve. Many of the poses feed into her curve, as Bikram does not cater to scoliosis.

Comment

Working...
            X