Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SI joint fusion

Hi

I had my left SI joint fused 4 weeks ago and think something is wrong as it is painful to put any pressure through my left leg to walk.

It feels like a nerve is impinged as the pain goes from buttock at the site of the fusion down to my foot when trying to walk.

Has anyone else had this surgery as I am interested to hear other people's experience. So far I can only find discussion groups where people have not had scoliosis and revision surgeries so I'm assuming it would not be a similar experience.

(I am already fused T2 to sacrum before SI fusion).

Thanks
    Juvenile Idiopathic Scoliosis diagnosed aged 6/7
    Milwaukee brace 1980 - 1984, Fused T2 - L3 with Harrington Rod 1984, 10 rib costoplasty 1999, artificial disc at L3/L4 2003, extended fusion to L5 2006.
    2015 - Sagittal plane imbalance correction by insertion of 30 degree hyperlordotic cage at L5/S1 level (anterior approach) with fixation to pelvis (posterior approach) now fused T2 to sacrum.
    2017 - October - SI joint fusion - left side
    2017 - December - Revision of failed left SI joint fusion

Sorry to hear of your pain...wondering what your surgeon has to say about the pain, if it is par for the course right now, or out of the ordinary?

Good luck with your recovery.
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Thanks Gayle

Upon discharge I was told I could do more or less anything with no restrictions but a week later I had to go back for crutches to assist with walking as it was too uncomfortable. I was advised the pain shouldn't get any worse over the next few weeks but it has in my case.

I have an appointment in 10 days so will hopefully be able to discuss my concerns then.
      Milwaukee brace 1980 - 1984, Fused T2 - L3 with Harrington Rod 1984, 10 rib costoplasty 1999, artificial disc at L3/L4 2003, extended fusion to L5 2006.
      2015 - Sagittal plane imbalance correction by insertion of 30 degree hyperlordotic cage at L5/S1 level (anterior approach) with fixation to pelvis (posterior approach) now fused T2 to sacrum.

Comment

I cannot remember any SI people here......

Sounds like you are really inflamed.....Do try to take it easy...

I hope this passes quickly

Rod Stewart
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks, I hope it isn't permanent.....I am, at this point regretting having this surgery.

Comment

I’m sorry your in pain I hope it gets better soon
            Kara
            Soon to be 26
            Braced at 13 years old
            Posterior Spinal Fusion March 10th 2010
            Age at the of surgery 18 years old
            Preop Curves 50T and 39L
            Postop Curves 20T and 17L

Comment

Originally posted by Kara1992 View Post
              I’m sorry your in pain I hope it gets better soon
              Thanks Kara

Comment

Your welcome! I’m actually in the same boat with you right now. I’m in the worst pain I been in my life. It started from after I fell backwards the bathtub and the fused area bent forward
                Kara
                Soon to be 26
                Braced at 13 years old
                Preop Curves 50T and 39L

Comment

Your welcome! I’m actually in the same boat with you right now. I’m in the worst pain I been in my life. It started from after I fell backwards the bathtub and the fused area bent forward
                  Oh no, sorry to hear that.....what are you having to do about it?

Comment

Well right now I’m taking extra strength in the morning and at night to help me sleep I think extra ibuprofen. I have a appointment with my surgeon on January 4.
                    Kara
                    Soon to be 26
                    Braced at 13 years old
                    Preop Curves 50T and 39L

Comment

Well right now I’m taking extra strength in the morning and at night to help me sleep I think extra ibuprofen. I have a appointment with my surgeon on January 4.
                      Hopefully you will get some answers then!! Not good relying on painkillers

Comment

I hope so as well
                        Kara
                        Soon to be 26
                        Braced at 13 years old
                        Preop Curves 50T and 39L

Comment

Well, after seeing my surgeon at my 6 week review appointment the other week he decided it had not worked properly as the Si joint still had some movement. A bone densitometry scan showed up some fractures around the implants too which explains the pain and that I wasn't improving.

I had revision surgery 5 days ago where my left pelvic screw (which was loose) was removed and replaced with a thicker screw plus a new one added to reinforce the whole joint and distribute the force across my pelvis.

I am now non-weight bearing on the left for 4 weeks then partial weight bearing for the next 3 weeks after this. I have a wheelchair too so need to be extremely cautious whilst it is healing.

Hopefully it will work this time as I feel a lot more positive about the explanations and decisions made regarding my care

Comment

Spinals, You poor thing......sounds very painful. You have been through a lot.

I hope you heal up soon.....

Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thank you, I am more frustrated than anything as it feels like the last 8 weeks of my life has been wasted trying to recover from an operation which failed!! I am now back to square one!!

Oh well, nothing I can do about this now

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                              Spinals, You poor thing......sounds very painful. You have been through a lot.

I hope you heal up soon.....

Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X