MRSA/infection question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MRSA/infection question

I have been reading some of the threads about you guys who have battled infection, mainly MRSA. You guys have been through alot! My prayers are with you all. Maybe I'm not reading back far enough but my question is....what were your basic signs and symptoms? Can it always be detected with a nose swab? Thanks! Leah

2000- spinal fusion w inst. t-2 L-4
    2002 top1/2 rod removal due to rods loose and protruding at the top(not through the skin but you could hang a coat on them)
    2004 bottom rod removal due to pain starting to protrude
    2007 spinal fusion t-9 to L-5 due to kyphosis and leaning forward(made it worse)
    2008 internal bone stim removal
    2009 oct 15th rod removal,repair of fusion new rods t2 to pelvis with osteotomies
    Last edited by ldwest; 01-09-2010, 05:17 PM.

I want to warn all here that seem to be concerned about having this crap to CALM DOWN. You have a bigger chance of getting it off the grocery store basket or the shower floor at your gym or rec center . If you have an idea you have a problem get it tested. Its that simple. There are a zillion different strains of this crap so be sure you are tested over and over, scanned over and over before you let anyone remove the hardware you may have. Trust me, I know what I am talking about. If you have any other questions shoot me a IM and I will get back to you.

My Best, Jess
    March 23, 2006 Anterior/posterior Ileum-T2
    15 1/2 Hours
    Dr. Tom Lowe R.I.P.

Comment

im or email

Hi, was curious since after 4 and 1/2 years post op and swelling on my spine they are discussing an aspiration to see if there is an infection. I have had chronic swelling, UTI, Kidney infections, sinus infections and the worst part is I was diagnosed w/ POTS 2 years ago. POTS is postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. I believe I have secondary pots and hope it is caused by something other than infection. But this last month I have been in and out of ERs and hospitals, had awful back pain. I always blew off the idea of infection in the past, but this time I am scared. Dr. Shelokov was my surgeon and I'm not sure if I should go back to Plano or ... what... ugh. I actually test positive for strept before surgery and they delayed 10 days.
      Tell me if swelling and pain can be signs...
      Thanks,
      Diane
      oh, you can email me at dianebetts007@hotmail.com
      Diane
      39 y.o. female
      Aug. 9 '05 - T-1 through S-1; Dr. Shelokov -Plano
      Oct. 14 '97 - L4-L5/L5-S1 fusion BAK fusion cages (san antonio)
      Feb. 14 '89 - laminectomy l4-l5/l5-s1 (omaha)
      braced as an adolescent

Comment

Diane. sorry you have had such a rough go of it. It just seems like a never ending up hill battle sometimes doesn't it? Please share with us the reults of your test. That would seem like a really clear way to diagnose...or hopefully rule out infection. Take care Leah

Comment

POTS question

Have they considered dysautonomia? Some of your symptoms are in the constellation of dysautonomia. Have they evalued for any of the myopathies?

I only ask based on my experience with dysautonomia through my son's symptoms.
          Thoroughly disgusted with people in this group

Comment

Yes, MRSA staph can be caught from a lot of place. I know many people who have caught it and some have died. My dad just died in Oct 2009 from catching MRSA staph in his blood from a rehab home after having a mini stroke they put in an IV and never checked in and his arm was infected and it spread to his blood and killed him in two weeks. Staph can be caught many place but when its on you skin that can for the most part be treated but when its in your body near your organs and bones it’s a lot different and it is very scary. If anyone wants to ask me any questions you can IM me or call 347-884-0752. I had the MRSA staph for two years before it was finally gone... I hope but had to have all hardware removed and now almost a year and so far so good. I went through many tests and pain physical and mental and if anyone wants to speak to someone who has been through it and unfortunately knows about MRSA staph you can contact me.
            Sue

Comment

Originally posted by suzyjay View Post
              Yes, MRSA staph can be caught from a lot of place. I know many people who have caught it and some have died. My dad just died in Oct 2009 from catching MRSA staph in his blood from a rehab home after having a mini stroke they put in an IV and never checked in and his arm was infected and it spread to his blood and killed him in two weeks. Staph can be caught many place but when its on you skin that can for the most part be treated but when its in your body near your organs and bones it’s a lot different and it is very scary. If anyone wants to ask me any questions you can IM me or call 347-884-0752. I had the MRSA staph for two years before it was finally gone... I hope but had to have all hardware removed and now almost a year and so far so good. I went through many tests and pain physical and mental and if anyone wants to speak to someone who has been through it and unfortunately knows about MRSA staph you can contact me.
              Sue
              I'm sorry for your loss Suzy. ((Hugs))

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I would discourage anyone from posting their phone number here or in any public forum. I suspect there are bots that pick up any phone number posted here, that then get added to the "100,000 phone numbers for $10" sort of databases.
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Dysautonomia

Mito Mom, POTS is one kind of dysautonomia if I am correct. It stands for postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. Most get POTS as teens but there is also a "secondary" pots... caused by something else. Some suspect infection or inflammation can cause pots. I don't have typical pots and really think mine is related to my metal.
                  I just saw an orthopedic in Omaha last week and he thinks instead of an infection, that these could be related to a metal allergy. I've been googling and it does seem that metal toxicity can cause some autonomic dysfunctions. I do have a lot of allergies and am curious if anyone has ever heard of metals causing issues like those w/ autonomic dysfunctions: especially ones that affect the sympathetic nervous system. Plus ones that don't fall under "pots"... i.e. my hands swell severely at night and even bruise at the knuckles. Crazy stuff... almost embarrassing to explain to a doctor!
                  Thanks for any help!
                  Diane
                  Diane
                  39 y.o. female
                  Aug. 9 '05 - T-1 through S-1; Dr. Shelokov -Plano
                  Oct. 14 '97 - L4-L5/L5-S1 fusion BAK fusion cages (san antonio)
                  Feb. 14 '89 - laminectomy l4-l5/l5-s1 (omaha)
                  braced as an adolescent

Comment

Working...
                  X