Things to look forward to with multiple revisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to look forward to with multiple revisions

I have had several spinal reconstructions . Now that I'm 56 I want to warn others of things that are associated with multiple surgeries..

1. I had a thoracoplasty. Not a,common procedure but it begins to ache severely with age. Doctors tell me this can also be associated to the fusions below the thoracoplasty.

2. Both knees are bad- I've been fused my whole life. Something had to bear the weight and take the impact.

3. Shoulder problem. I had my correction on the 70s so full correction wasn't possible and I've loved my life with a twisted shoulder.

4. Last but not least FEET. They hurt terribly and each foot and ankle and podiatrist tells me it's from multiple spinal surgeries.

These are all great research subjects I'd love to know more about. If anyone knows of any research done on any of this I would love to hear.

Thanks

Originally posted by dixiesmommie View Post
    I have had several spinal reconstructions . Now that I'm 56 I want to warn others of things that are associated with multiple surgeries..

1. I had a thoracoplasty. Not a,common procedure but it begins to ache severely with age. Doctors tell me this can also be associated to the fusions below the thoracoplasty.

2. Both knees are bad- I've been fused my whole life. Something had to bear the weight and take the impact.

3. Shoulder problem. I had my correction on the 70s so full correction wasn't possible and I've loved my life with a twisted shoulder.

4. Last but not least FEET. They hurt terribly and each foot and ankle and podiatrist tells me it's from multiple spinal surgeries.

These are all great research subjects I'd love to know more about. If anyone knows of any research done on any of this I would love to hear.

Thanks
    Hi, boy I can attests to all of the above!!! I am older than you by ten years, but I started having knee problems a couple years ago, and I'm positive that my condition has contributed to this. It could have happened anyway, but I know without a doubt that my using my knees to hold myself up has had much to do with this. My shoulders are have been bad since my neck fusion (c2 ti t/1) My feet are both bad. They hurt a lot!! I don't know if being fused to the sacrum and the four revision surgeries have anything to do with all these things~~ but I truly think it does. Interesting post and like you it I wonder if there's any research on this. Warmly, Linda
    Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
    Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
    This started adult onset scoliosis
    July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
    Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
    Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
    May 30th 2013 revision
    May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
    May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Originally posted by dixiesmommie View Post

Thanks
      Hi:

I had just posted one about my newly diagnose necrosis in my femoral heads, hips. Heard it was not uncommon for us older lifetime scoliosis crew. Knock wood, only my hips (plus both groin areas) are the only other joints that are bothering me. Besides my usual back/sciatica pain. I was very disappointed when I was told this. Not like we haven't had enough in our long painful lives. I guess we were dealt a bad hand this life. I have been researching it after Mr. Titanium told me we have to keep moving. Seems like our bone joints have blood supply that can stop if we fail to use them. I will be seeing a hip surgeon, but also plan to restart some PT plus water walking. I don't want anymore joints to go bad. Hopefully I'm not too late. Good luck.

Karen aka Daily Pain

Comment

Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
        Hi, boy I can attests to all of the above!!! I am older than you by ten years, but I started having knee problems a couple years ago, and I'm positive that my condition has contributed to this. It could have happened anyway, but I know without a doubt that my using my knees to hold myself up has had much to do with this. My shoulders are have been bad since my neck fusion (c2 ti t/1) My feet are both bad. They hurt a lot!! I don't know if being fused to the sacrum and the four revision surgeries have anything to do with all these things~~ but I truly think it does. Interesting post and like you it I wonder if there's any research on this. Warmly, Linda
        Babyboomer, my feet feel like someone hammered them all night while I was sleeping. The minute they touch the floor is miserable. All the podiatrists claim it is spinal surgery related. It wasn't until my 3rd out of 5 that I felt it. I had shoulder surgery on the twisted shoulder. I ended up with frozen shoulder. Sorry to hear there are other members of my club.

Comment

Working...
        X