spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MJB View Post
    Kathy I we only go every 5 months now. Well she got the brace on March 20th, we went back on April 24 and then he said every 5 months after that, although I couldn't go in Sept because of work, so we have to wait till October, which is closer to 6 months... I think she needs an adjustment already though!
    I forgot to mention that we have a 6 hour drive to our Ortho....
    Marlowe mom to Halle (age 11)
    Diagnosed January 11/08
    In Spinecor Brace for 2 1/2 years

In the Cheneau Brace for 10 months
    Being treated at Sick Kids Hospital - Dr. Reinhard Zeller

Surgery Scheduled at Sick Kids for May 16, 2011

http://hallesscoliosis.blogspot.com/

Comment

How often do your Doctors want to re-adjust the spinecor brace and take xrays? he wants us every 5 months but I just read online that it should be every 3 months, 4-5 months if the risk of progression is low, well hers isn't low, he just has us come every 5 months because of the distance that we live to there.

I wish he would take the xray before they re-adjust the brace, I am curious to know her curve before it's tightened again.
      lol I just asked you how often you go and then read this. Jeremy said Spinecor wants xrays every 3 months but US doctors do not want to xray that often so he asked Dr. Chang to do them every 4 months. My daughter's progression is not low either she went from 16 to 31 in 6 months. She went down to 25 at her first in brace xray. You could ask them if they would consider doing them or often.

Comment

Kathy I we only go every 5 months now. Well she got the brace on March 20th, we went back on April 24 and then he said every 5 months after that, although I couldn't go in Sept because of work, so we have to wait till October, which is closer to 6 months... I think she needs an adjustment already though!
        Wow we are very lucky I think having ours so close. If you think she needs an adjustment and you can make the time I would call and go in. We did that once already and they took us right in. It made me feel better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenmom View Post
          lol I just asked you how often you go and then read this. Jeremy said Spinecor wants xrays every 3 months but US doctors do not want to xray that often so he asked Dr. Chang to do them every 4 months. My daughter's progression is not low either she went from 16 to 31 in 6 months. She went down to 25 at her first in brace xray. You could ask them if they would consider doing them or often.

Yep, see Halle went from 20 degrees in Jan to 32 in March... she jumped 12 degrees in 2 months! Although she really took to the spinecor brace and in the first xray she went from 32 degrees to only 9 degrees!!! 1 month later she was still holding at 9 degrees in brace...
          Diagnosed January 11/08

Comment

• yeah, I think I have to wait until the October appointment because I just started a new job last week but I am going to request next time that the time inbetween be less.

How old is your daughter Kathy?
            Diagnosed January 11/08

Comment

Yep, see Halle went from 20 degrees in Jan to 32 in March... she jumped 12 degrees in 2 months! Although she really took to the spinecor brace and in the first xray she went from 32 degrees to only 9 degrees!!! 1 month later she was still holding at 9 degrees in brace...
              WOW fantastic results!! Sounds like you are doing the right thing. I have read that the other braces can cause damage but I haven't read anything negative about the spinecor yet. I would love to follow Halle's results.

Comment

yeah, I think I have to wait until the October appointment because I just started a new job last week but I am going to request next time that the time inbetween be less.

She turned 13 in May. We found out last October at a regular Dr. appt. that she had scoliosis. She went to Dr. Chang in Dec. with the 16 degree x-ray and he had us wait and see. Went back in June to find it had jumped to 31 and that they wanted to brace her.

Comment

yeah, I think I have to wait until the October appointment because I just started a new job last week but I am going to request next time that the time inbetween be less.

I see Halle is 8. I have read that if they start using the brace before their first menstral cycle or within the first year that the chances for correction are much better. Let's hope that is the case for Halle, with those results and her age it seems a good chance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenmom View Post
                    I see Halle is 8. I have read that if they start using the brace before their first menstral cycle or within the first year that the chances for correction are much better. Let's hope that is the case for Halle, with those results and her age it seems a good chance.
                    Yes, that is exactly it! Dr. Rivard said that her spine is very flexible right now and he was very happy to see that she took to the brace so well and that it mainly had to do with her age. I mean going from 32 to only 9 is amazing, I did not expect that at all after doing my research and hearing of other cases.
                    Diagnosed January 11/08

Comment

• Jenmom,

I take my daughter to Atlanta every 4-5 months to get her brace adjusted and an xray. (although this visit in Oct. will be closer to 6 months). My daughter has been in the brace for a little over a year now, and this past June I did have an out of brace xray done (as her ortho has asked me to several times in this past year). Her curve out of brace was still around 24 degrees, so there has been no correction, but she is at least stable. In March her in brace xray was 12 degrees.

I am a little concerned now about the frequency of the xrays this year. This year Emily will have had 4 xrays. After Oct. I'm going to space the visits closer to the five month mark at least, as I don't want her exposed to so much radiation. Even though the doctors use filters and vests on the xray machines, I'm still a little nervous about it.

MJB, I didn't realize how much correction Halle got so fast, that is amazing!!
                      Emily's mom-11 1/2 years old
                      28 degree scoliosis 9/04
                      Chiari Malformation/SM decompressed 11/04
                      17-24 degrees 11/04-6/07
                      Wearing Spinecor Brace since June 07
                      3/31/10- 29 degrees oob
                      11/18/09 17 degrees in brace

Comment

• Originally posted by emarismom View Post
                        Jenmom,

I take my daughter to Atlanta every 4-5 months to get her brace adjusted and an xray. (although this visit in Oct. will be closer to 6 months). My daughter has been in the brace for a little over a year now, and this past June I did have an out of brace xray done (as her ortho has asked me to several times in this past year). Her curve out of brace was still around 24 degrees, so there has been no correction, but she is at least stable. In March her in brace xray was 12 degrees.

I am a little concerned now about the frequency of the xrays this year. This year Emily will have had 4 xrays. After Oct. I'm going to space the visits closer to the five month mark at least, as I don't want her exposed to so much radiation. Even though the doctors use filters and vests on the xray machines, I'm still a little nervous about it.

MJB, I didn't realize how much correction Halle got so fast, that is amazing!!
                        Hi emarismom,

I understand your concern even though we were told the amount of radiation is so small that it is not to be a concern it is hard not to think about it.

It is wonderful that she is holding out of brace and getting good correction in brace. Seems like it is working for her. I look forward to getting that one year point because Jen will be close to maturity then. Take care.

Kathy

Comment

• success with Spincor

Hi. I am a 20 year old figure skater who has been struggling with my scoliosis for several years. Two years ago doctors were really pushing for surgery to correct my 47.5 degree s curve. That would mean 12 metal rods and 24 metal screws. That would also mean the end of my skating career, which just thinking about brings tears to my eyes. See I am internationally and nationally ranked and I have a lot to look forward to with my skating. The surgeons however gave me "false" hope by saying that I could be back on the ice within 3-6 months in about the same form that I was. Now, any sane and intelligent person could tell that that was incorrect. My parents, seeing my distress went into to super parent mode and while I was barricaded in my room with the music playing really loud they happened to stumble upon SPINECOR. My dad email and called Dr. Gary Deutchman at like 10:30pm and that same night at about midnight they received a call from, one of the men who has changed my life. By the time I came out of my room the next morning my mom and I were booked on a redeye flight to Chicago for me to be fitted the back brace. I was not too happy about having to wear a back brace, but my parents said it was that or the surgery. At first I hated the brace because it was too tight, pulled my body in strange directions, bruised my back and made me even more self conscious of how I looked. After I made it through the introduction phase and built up my wearing time to 20 hours a day I began to see, feel and notice the difference. I quickly learned to hide it, so much so that most of my friends still do not know that I wear a brace and that I even forget I am wearing it. I have now been wearing it for two years and have seen dramatic results. I started with a curve of 47.5 and I am now down to 37.6. We are all amazed by my success. This was not supposed to be possible because of my age and the fact that I should have stopped growing, but x-rays can't lie. My back no longer hurts as much, my skating has gotten better, and I am now 5'10 1/2" with prospects of getting taller if my back continues to straighten out. It has not been all fun and games, but I would not change a thing because I can now go an entire day or more without my back hurting so much that all I want to do is sleep. I urge anyone who has been told that they need surgery or have to be put in the hard shell brace to check out SpineCor.

Comment

• Hi! I have been in the brace for 2 years. Try wearing dance or ice skating tights or leggings. It really keeps the brace from rubbing. Hope this works for you guys as it has for me.

Danielle

Comment

• dsicequeen in another thread ...

No way, no HOW is she valid. Don't be taken in by "her".

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7733

They wanted to put *12* rods in her back?

She claims her curve was 47.5 to 37.6°, and only Deutschman (not ANY other doctor I've met - or heard of -in THIRTY years), is skilled enough to measure to 1/10th of a degree? That all other doctors are too stupid to get within a ±5° margin of error?

That she achieved any viable correction after skeletal maturity?

Please.

She's a plant, plain and simple.
                              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                              EMAIL ME

Comment

• Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
                                She claims her curve was 47.5 to 37.6°, and only Deutschman (not ANY other doctor I've met - or heard of -in THIRTY years), is skilled enough to measure to 1/10th of a degree? That all other doctors are too stupid to get within a ±5° margin of error?
                                Well another problem is even if you could measure to within 0.1 degrees , if you have the patient move around and then take another film in a few minutes, it's not going to be that same measurement to the tenth of a degree.

So even if you could physically measure the curve on the film to that precision, it's still meaningless.

Also, the shill, er... I mean poster, stated she had a double curve but only stated one measurement. I guess that's were the "12 rods" come in to save the day.

It's curious that the Spinecor folks have now taken to adverting on fora. I would think they have enough customers.
                                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X