No announcement yet.

Two revision surgeries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to hear things went well Jackie....

Hang in there

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

It is still early but I think it is much better. It would be great to get off the meds. I should go home
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
      Osteotomy

Comment

Jackie--Hope this is the answer for you! Good luck and many positive thoughts for a full recovery for you! Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I saw the Dr on Thursday and he was pleased so far. I can't say that the nerve is completely better but it has moved over further towards my side. He said that was a good sign. It is much easier to have the hardware taken out as compared to putting it in. However I am amazed at the length of the incision. It is about 14 in long. The other really good news is he said the fusion is solid. Yeah!!I still need to have the other surgery but the MRI of the cervical found growth on my thyroid . The ultra sound confirmed it and I have a biopsy next week on the growth. I know that having a lot of X-Ray s can cause these problems. And us Scoli people get a lot of them. Any one else had a problem with this?
          Last edited by jackieg412; 09-10-2014, 07:36 AM.
          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
          Right scapulectomy 6/15
          Broken neck 9/28/2018
          Osteotomy

Comment

Well I did get the removed hardware from the hospital yesterday. It is very interesting and looks a lot like visiting a hardware store. It costs a lot more. It is completed with screws and nuts and bolts. The "domino" connector looks just like a half of a domino. It is weirder but like a small box. No wonder it bothers a person. The cross connector is a lot larger than it appears in X-Ray. So far the nerve pain isn't gone but better. The Dr says to be patient as a nerve heals slowly. I am taking less meds and feeling less nerve pain. I think that means it will get better.
            Last edited by jackieg412; 09-10-2014, 07:37 AM.
            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
            Right scapulectomy 6/15
            Broken neck 9/28/2018
            Osteotomy

Comment

Hope you get better soon

Melissa
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
                Well I did get the removed hardware from the hospital yesterday. It is very interesting and looks a lot like visiting a hardware store. It costs a lot more. It is completed with screws and nuts and bolts. The "domino" connector looks just like a half of a domino. It is weirder but like a small box. No wonder it bothers a person. The cross connector is a lot larger than it appears in X-Ray. So far the nerve pain isn't gone but better. The Dr says to be patient as a nerve heals slowly. I am taking less meds and feeling less nerve pain. I think that means it will get better.
                Jackie, What are you going to do with your hardware? A collage? I only have 2 screws removed, but I am thinking earrings? My general surgeon says that if nerves are going to grow back, they do so t 1 mm/day.
                I hope that you continue to have decreased pain. Susan
                Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Susan,I haven't decided yet but I like your idea. It is my domino that I want to display. It is about an inch square. Maybe half an in thick. I was thinking it may look good on a necklace. It will cause a lot of questions to be asked. My real thoughts are all over the emotional scoreboard. Mine just caused pain and yours did so much more. I can't even imagine how you may feel. When I look at mine I almost get teary . My physical therapist said he would put them in his display but I can't part with them yet. Don't ask me why I feel attached to pieces of metal. I did want to see them and am glad that I was able to get them. But it a lot of nuts and bolts for sure. Thank you for your ideas and I welcome more.
                  T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                  C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                  T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                  C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                  Right scapulectomy 6/15
                  Broken neck 9/28/2018
                  Osteotomy

Comment

Susan,I haven't decided yet but I like your idea. It is my domino that I want to display. It is about an inch square. Maybe half an in thick. I was thinking it may look good on a necklace. It will cause a lot of questions to be asked. My real thoughts are all over the emotional scoreboard. Mine just caused pain and yours did so much more. I can't even imagine how you may feel. When I look at mine I almost get teary . My physical therapist said he would put them in his display but I can't part with them yet. Don't ask me why I feel attached to pieces of metal. I did want to see them and am glad that I was able to get them. But it a lot of nuts and bolts for sure. Thank you for your ideas and I welcome more.
                    The necklace idea is cute! So, you get questions! To most people just say, "I just like it because it is different".....none of their business unless you want to share.

Sure, you have a love-hate relationship with the hardware, but it was you....a part of you. If you truly love your PT, maybe give up one piece, but maybe not. While the hardware hurt, it did make you whole and your back is fused because of the hardware holding the spine in place. The surgery to remove everything is a smaller deal than the original surgery, but still, it was a big surgery. Emotional? I cannot imagine that you would not be emotional.

Maybe I should wear one of my screws through my nose! Amazing that 2 screws can cause such destruction to the spinal cord. There is a part of me that wants to cut them up into little pieces like a punishment. I am angry....but I should not take it out on the screws?? "Screwed by the screws" just about sums it up. I am really unsure what they look like or how they might make into earrings. Maybe just carry them in a little velvet pouch around my neck? I will keep you posted and post a copy of my jewelry decision.

Take care, you and I are both healing and it will take a while
                    Hugs, Susan
                    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Susan, I wonder if the screws in the pouch thing would be like a voodoo potion to ward off any more evil. Just a thought! I wish you could see the little nuts and bolts. Maybe spacers for a bracelet?
                      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                      Right scapulectomy 6/15
                      Broken neck 9/28/2018
                      Osteotomy

Comment

Susan, I wonder if the screws in the pouch thing would be like a voodoo potion to ward off any more evil. Just a thought! I wish you could see the little nuts and bolts. Maybe spacers for a bracelet?
                        So many possibilities! I'm thinking earrings but am not quite sure what the screws look like. Might be more appropriate for Halloween!

Hoping that you pain is decreasing. Remember that the change will be slow as the body always takes a while to adjust. I am so happy that you are experiencing some decrease in discomfort.

Keep smiling! Susan

Comment

Susan I did not mention that I have the piece of my rod that was cut out. But I have small wrists and maybe able to be bent in a circle for a bracelet. I can use the other pieces as charms. But as you said it may be more appropriate for Halloween. It is an interesting mix of hardware store products. Maybe I can make a small sculpture. Just a little welding required. The rod piece is so rough cut it Must have been interesting to cut out. All and all I am ok. I am decreasing the meds and doing well. Now I have a new issue . We deal with it this week. I need to have a biopsy of the thyroid because of a growth that was found on the cervical Mri . The ultrasound showed it to be suspicious so thus the biopsy. I had to wait until I could lay on my back. So it is on Wednesday. More fun when you can't always get in the position that they need you in.
                          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                          Right scapulectomy 6/15
                          Broken neck 9/28/2018
                          Osteotomy

Comment

Hope your procedure goes well

Glad that you are doing better

Melissa
                            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

First surgery is healing well and today I cut another med from my treatment. It is exciting to get off the nerve meds after 3 plus years. It is not gone but improving. I will find out on Tuesday if the thyroid needs any more treatment. The biopsy was easy. And most of these things are fine. But the concern about so many X-Ray s and taking them most of my adult life.I worked in the dental field and took a lot of them over almost 30 years. If everything turns out okay then I will see the spine surgeon for the cervical surgery in a few months. My right arm keeps going numb.but everyone can't work on the neck at the same time.
                              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                              Right scapulectomy 6/15
                              Broken neck 9/28/2018
                              Osteotomy

Comment

Jackie, glad to see you improving from your hardware removal surgery.....

I know what you mean about the neck.....Mine was roasted when I had my scoli surgeries and found this out in my hospital reports. I guess they didn’t want to tell me or give me more bad news......”Oh, by the way.....”

I sure did have great results from the Medrol pack and Diclofenac. It was a miracle how well they worked......These 2 herniation’s did contract somewhat...

I have read that the CT scans are equal to 400 coronal x-rays. Its those you want to keep to a minimum......We also get nuked when we have our surgeries done from the O arms.

Hang in there
                                Ed
                                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                                X