X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spinals View Post
    Oh well, nothing I can do about this now
    That's right!

I never looked back. Not on my surgeries, on personal mistakes a learning process, yes, but not on my surgeries. Since we have little control over our surgical situations, faith and having a positive attitude after resetting our forward thinking minds is the only way....You will get past this bump in the road.

Try to take things real easy right now. You need time to heal

Dr Cotrel mentioned in his book (The Sands of Berck) that Dr Blount (Invented the Milwaukee brace) many years ago traveled in a wheelchair. He showed up at a scoliosis conference in a wheelchair and all the other surgeons asked about what happened. He then stood up at the podium and laughed and said that it was just easier travelling this way. (smiley face)

http://orthosurgery.mcw.edu/program-...lter-p-blount/

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ha ha, can't believe I share my surname with the inventor of the awful Milwaukee brace!!!! Many bad memories of wearing this brace for 23 hours a day.

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
      That's right!

I never looked back. Not on my surgeries, on personal mistakes a learning process, yes, but not on my surgeries. Since we have little control over our surgical situations, faith and having a positive attitude after resetting our forward thinking minds is the only way....You will get past this bump in the road.

Try to take things real easy right now. You need time to heal

Dr Cotrel mentioned in his book (The Sands of Berck) that Dr Blount (Invented the Milwaukee brace) many years ago traveled in a wheelchair. He showed up at a scoliosis conference in a wheelchair and all the other surgeons asked about what happened. He then stood up at the podium and laughed and said that it was just easier travelling this way. (smiley face)

http://orthosurgery.mcw.edu/program-...lter-p-blount/

Ed
      Juvenile Idiopathic Scoliosis diagnosed aged 6/7
      Milwaukee brace 1980 - 1984, Fused T2 - L3 with Harrington Rod 1984, 10 rib costoplasty 1999, artificial disc at L3/L4 2003, extended fusion to L5 2006.
      2015 - Sagittal plane imbalance correction by insertion of 30 degree hyperlordotic cage at L5/S1 level (anterior approach) with fixation to pelvis (posterior approach) now fused T2 to sacrum.
      2017 - October - SI joint fusion - left side
      2017 - December - Revision of failed left SI joint fusion

Comment

Ha ha, can't believe I share my surname with the inventor of the awful Milwaukee brace!!!! Many bad memories of wearing this brace for 23 hours a day.
        That is interesting.....Did you know this interesting tidbit? (smiley face)

I dodged the Milwaukee.... With my 50/50 S curve at that time in 1975, bracing wasn't recommended for my situation. I was also 16. I sensed a hesitancy or lack of confidence with my surgeon about doing Luque wire surgery back then...It was new, and the only system that went to the pelvis...They don't like fusing mobile kids to the pelvis.

Back in those days it must have been an act of desperation trying to come up with something especially with all the kids showing up with scoliosis. Surgery back in the old days was an extreme measure....The grueling Milwaukee brace was the result of the desperation of that period in time.....(smug face) Tools of the trade of that time period.....

I hope the wheelchair isn't too bad. You cant walk, do they have you wiggling your feet for DVT and blood flow?

The only way I know to circulate blood without exercise is to buy a really fast sports car, and put the pedal to the metal.

When you get pulled over speeding, tell the cop that it was doctors orders. He he

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

No, I didn't know about the Milwaukee inventor thing!!!

Yes, the brace certainly was gruelling to wear so you was lucky to dodge it! (although probably not lucky in other ways considering your medical history). I wore it from aged 7 to 11 and I would consider this the most traumatic of all of my treatment for scoliosis (psychologically).

Like you say, I think the doctors were just doing the best they knew back in the 80's, especially with regard to using the Harrington rod.

As regards DVT, I have to inject myself daily with anti blood clot medication for rhe next 6 weeks. I also have to wear the TEDS, similar to flight socks, they put these on me before surgery and I have to wear these until I become mobile.

Hopefully this is enough to keep the DVT at bay.

That is interesting.....Did you know this interesting tidbit? (smiley face)

I dodged the Milwaukee.... With my 50/50 S curve at that time in 1975, bracing wasn't recommended for my situation. I was also 16. I sensed a hesitancy or lack of confidence with my surgeon about doing Luque wire surgery back then...It was new, and the only system that went to the pelvis...They don't like fusing mobile kids to the pelvis.

Back in those days it must have been an act of desperation trying to come up with something especially with all the kids showing up with scoliosis. Surgery back in the old days was an extreme measure....The grueling Milwaukee brace was the result of the desperation of that period in time.....(smug face) Tools of the trade of that time period.....

I hope the wheelchair isn't too bad. You cant walk, do they have you wiggling your feet for DVT and blood flow?

The only way I know to circulate blood without exercise is to buy a really fast sports car, and put the pedal to the metal.

When you get pulled over speeding, tell the cop that it was doctors orders. He he

Ed
          Milwaukee brace 1980 - 1984, Fused T2 - L3 with Harrington Rod 1984, 10 rib costoplasty 1999, artificial disc at L3/L4 2003, extended fusion to L5 2006.
          2015 - Sagittal plane imbalance correction by insertion of 30 degree hyperlordotic cage at L5/S1 level (anterior approach) with fixation to pelvis (posterior approach) now fused T2 to sacrum.

Comment

Yes, the brace certainly was gruelling to wear so you was lucky to dodge it! (although probably not lucky in other ways considering your medical history). I wore it from aged 7 to 11 and I would consider this the most traumatic of all of my treatment for scoliosis (psychologically).
            Age 7 to 11.....That's young.....(Concerned smug face).....

Some thoughts on the thoughts...or not!

Through life we learn to remember, its also practiced, and there are multiple methods of associating. One word, one sentence carries for a lifetime.....but there are times that we need to forget, these thoughts are not usually practiced, or shuffled all the way into the backs of our minds. To forget things isn't something I normally concentrate on, but I have been lucky to ignore or mostly forget the things I want to forget. Much of the pain, or scoliosis related anguish from the years gone by has passed....and actually have had to ask others what happened years ago? I do remember having devices that scolis own, (inversion boots, exercise balls, rib hump counter rotation cliffs, etc) Many have told me that I was in major pain for many years, but all of this in in the past now. I have forgotten. I don't hold a grudge with scoliosis. Maybe this is a final acceptance or a coming to terms with the disease. My neck is shot with multiple herniation's but I cant let it bother me psychologically speaking. We live in pain, and accept it on our own terms. There are a lot of things to think about as a lifetime scoliosis patient, handling the prior emotional baggage is something that does grow old, its tiresome, and it just isn't worth it. You cant fight scoliosis in your mind. Fight it physically, not emotionally. I place no blame.

I hope this makes some sense....our powers of recuperation have to be strong. For surgical candidates, this is especially important. Things have improved quite a bit through the years with bracing, the new 3D printed braces are a huge improvement over the old braces....it almost doesn't matter much if they work or not, without, simply moves surgical dates up sooner. If a candidate for surgery, braces help prepare for the feeling of fusion. I knew what being fully fused would be like by wearing my Copes brace many years ago. Positives in bracing don't come easy, but I feel that this was important for me.

I don't think about my medical history as being unlucky....In fact, its the opposite. I consider myself the luckiest person here. My surgeons saved my life.....There is a lot to be thankful for. The alarming extreme pains are gone which is a miracle. I can function in my own way, but then again we are all different and all so special as individuals....

I actually forgot about the compression socks!

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Hi, that's very good advice and for the majority of the time I think like this too. Just occasionally I will get a little reminder, like seeing a brace or when I have to have surgery again and it takes me back to that time as a young child. However, it is only fleetingly and I soon bounce back

Age 7 to 11.....That's young.....(Concerned smug face).....

Some thoughts on the thoughts...or not!

Through life we learn to remember, its also practiced, and there are multiple methods of associating. One word, one sentence carries for a lifetime.....but there are times that we need to forget, these thoughts are not usually practiced, or shuffled all the way into the backs of our minds. To forget things isn't something I normally concentrate on, but I have been lucky to ignore or mostly forget the things I want to forget. Much of the pain, or scoliosis related anguish from the years gone by has passed....and actually have had to ask others what happened years ago? I do remember having devices that scolis own, (inversion boots, exercise balls, rib hump counter rotation cliffs, etc) Many have told me that I was in major pain for many years, but all of this in in the past now. I have forgotten. I don't hold a grudge with scoliosis. Maybe this is a final acceptance or a coming to terms with the disease. My neck is shot with multiple herniation's but I cant let it bother me psychologically speaking. We live in pain, and accept it on our own terms. There are a lot of things to think about as a lifetime scoliosis patient, handling the prior emotional baggage is something that does grow old, its tiresome, and it just isn't worth it. You cant fight scoliosis in your mind. Fight it physically, not emotionally. I place no blame.

I hope this makes some sense....our powers of recuperation have to be strong. For surgical candidates, this is especially important. Things have improved quite a bit through the years with bracing, the new 3D printed braces are a huge improvement over the old braces....it almost doesn't matter much if they work or not, without, simply moves surgical dates up sooner. If a candidate for surgery, braces help prepare for the feeling of fusion. I knew what being fully fused would be like by wearing my Copes brace many years ago. Positives in bracing don't come easy, but I feel that this was important for me.

I don't think about my medical history as being unlucky....In fact, its the opposite. I consider myself the luckiest person here. My surgeons saved my life.....There is a lot to be thankful for. The alarming extreme pains are gone which is a miracle. I can function in my own way, but then again we are all different and all so special as individuals....

I actually forgot about the compression socks!

Ed

Comment

Hi, that's very good advice and for the majority of the time I think like this too. Just occasionally I will get a little reminder, like seeing a brace or when I have to have surgery again and it takes me back to that time as a young child. However, it is only fleetingly and I soon bounce back
                Its because we have been scoliosis patients so long.....We "know" how to reject or block out emotional triggers of pain. Many members here can relate.....

I have found a plethora of great informative videos lately....the video I will link below is about the neuropsychology of chronic pain. This doctor has explained many of the things that I have tried to explain around here in the past . Understanding pain, the mind, medications, and what happens to our bodies in scoliosis surgery.

You can break your arm and shoulder and it doesn't matter. I know because I did this. I didn't bother going to the hospital. How this worked I am not completely sure, but I think that my mind was focused on my spine and my upcoming scoliosis surgeries. All the doctors could not believe it. Much of our pain can be controlled ourselves, not all, but a lot of it.....Laughter therapy proves this notion. My posting of comedy videos here in the years past was my way of relieving pain even if only for a short while.

It's worth watching....many of the things he says, we have experienced.
                Emerging Neuropsychology of Chronic pain with Dr Schubiner
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTFwLVJVH5I

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

I've just watched the podcast and a lot of it does make sense as the brain is very powerful.

However, it is difficult to work out if the pain is generated by a mechanical problem or not especially when you have scoliosis and long fusions.

I can relate to a lot of what he is saying though, for example if you were in danger you would just get up and get yourself to safety without giving your pain a second thought!

Comment

Working...
                  X