Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I keep using those neat Walmart's vibrators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I keep using those neat Walmart's vibrators?

AHEM! I refer to those on a handle, with a large vibrating ball on either side. It's better if someone else uses them on my back (one ball on either side of the spinal column) but even in desperation, LYING on it or using them as far as I myself can reach, can give blessed relief. Granted, I burn the motors out in time on my own, but they're pretty sturdy and only cost $30.

Hoping someone will know what I mean. I think Homedics makes them.

I can think of arguments for and against, in terms of what the deep vibration might do for better or ill - especially considering the fusions.

But the bottom line, is the medical verdict and experience.
    Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
    Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
    main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
    Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

I think I have what you're talking about. It looks like "ET", the alien.

Not all my nerves have come back. When I tried to use it post-op, it felt really weird.

Never forget that we are all different.
    Shari

Comment

Yes! It does look kind of like ET. Creative description! RIght now it's a mainstay of my survival.

I wonder if the vibrations would promote bone growth - or retard it? Maybe it would make the armature (what I call the hardware) vibrate like a tuning fork!

Who would know? Guess they need to experiment with rats and mini vibrators first!
      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

You may want to go w/ the mini version. The regular size rattled my teeth, so I wasn't going to use it anywhere near my new spine.

You'll decide for yourself,
        Shari

Comment

I just want to know one thing... are you and Rohrer in a competition to see who can start the most threads? ;-)
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

massagers

Sharper Image made them. Called the Thumper. Excellent tool for the back, hip, etc. I don't think you can get them at SI anymore, so if Walmart carries it, more power to you!
            XLIF 7 discs replaced L5-T10 lateral PEEK implants, pedicle/facet screws, rib resection
            Pre-surgical: 40 d lumbar-thoracic, sponylolisthesis, kyphosis, all discs ruptured, stenosis
            Post-surgical:12 d, 1" taller
            Surgery: 8/27/2010 Dr. W Smith, Las Vegas University Medical Center
            53 yrs old

Comment

Massagers

This may be unrelated, but any type of massaging device including massaging chairs post surgery was very torturous for me...I could feel the vibration through my entire body and the massaging balls felt terrible against my rods. Very painful. But like someone else said, we are all different. :-)
              May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Originally posted by karena View Post
                Sharper Image made them. Called the Thumper. Excellent tool for the back, hip, etc. I don't think you can get them at SI anymore, so if Walmart carries it, more power to you!
                I've probably bought at least six by now, not counting those I've given as gifts. They afford THE best pain relief for me now, especially if someone volunteers to give me a back massage with one (it really isn't the same alone. For one, my arms are only SO long ).

OTOH I am afraid that the vibration which is so relieving now, might do real damage later on, especially to fusing bone!

Like I said, we need an experiment with rats and mini vibrators, to know, That is, rats who've undergone a long fusion! (Wishing for a federal grant, but somehow thinking I couldn't manage this on my own... )

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                  I just want to know one thing... are you and Rohrer in a competition to see who can start the most threads? ;-)
                  Hey, I'm new here and learning a LOT! The vibrating ET kills my back. I find it totally useless as it not only hurts my ribs and spine, but it leave my skin itching like mad. I was so excited when I got mine, and it just sits in the closet... a HUGE disappointment!
                  Be happy!
                  We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

I agree with Kristy, they do not feel good for me either. Massage also doesn’t do it for me anymore, and I did so many through the years.....

Walmart usually is pretty good with returns. I mean you can return computers with no questions asked.... Go back multiple times with the "heavy duty" vibrator, and the manager might start wondering....

It would make for a great Candid camera skit. You know, zoom in on the managers face....You just know, there is going to be that 6 second dwell....
                    LOL
                    Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment