Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr. Kiester's theory would be a very elegant answer to how a curve develops if it can even explain the difference between those people in ballet who develop scoliosis and those who do not by virture of their lax ligaments.

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo View Post
      It's absolutely a possibility. Maybe bracing at night provides some stability while your daughter's back grows and no bracing during the day allows her ligaments to grow strong.
      Of course it has much sense. It’s extremely obvious that something so complex as scoliosis is, needs a combination of different solutions. And more obvious too that scoliosis medical protocol needs an URGENT actualization!!!

Comment

The winner

http://arkaycareers.com/medical-news...gies-for-2011/

http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...are-Award.aspx

Why are not all surgeons of the world recommending to parents Magec instead of fusion????

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
          http://arkaycareers.com/medical-news...gies-for-2011/

http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...are-Award.aspx

Why are not all surgeons of the world recommending to parents Magec instead of fusion????
          After it gets through the European trials, I imagine they will be recommending over other growing rods. It is not a substitute for fusion.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

At least in Spanish spoken countries the protocol to girls like this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...nic-spine.html is a ‘ Wait to be be Worst (and more close to end of growth) phase, when brace seems to not works. I believe that an insignificant percentaje of parents decide to remove inmediately the brace when they see that is not working or test if the spine is holding enough straight or combine with other method so finally fusion is done in those cases. It’s not enough clear for me which is the limit of age to use Magec, but when it may be used, surgeons should to say to parents about it, regardless if it is used in their country or not.. or I'm missing something?

Comment

At least in Spanish spoken countries the protocol to girls like this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...nic-spine.html is a ‘ Wait to be be Worst (and more close to end of growth) phase, when brace seems to not works. I believe that an insignificant percentaje of parents decide to remove inmediately the brace when they see that is not working or test if the spine is holding enough straight or combine with other method so finally fusion is done in those cases. It’s not enough clear for me which is the limit of age to use Magec, but when it may be used, surgeons should to say to parents about it, regardless if it is used in their country or not.. or I'm missing something?
              Fer,

As I understand it, until MAGEC gets approved, at least for trials, in the US, surgeons cannot legally use it. What I don't understand is why it isn't being trialed in the US in addition to Europe. For some reason, it is only being trialed in Europe. There is a reason, we just don't know it.

A parent of a JIS child would know this much better than I would but I think the use of growth rods is limited to JIS cases (and possibly IIS cases) because you don't want to do a definitive fusion when the torso is so small. I am not aware that they do growth rods in AIS cases but they might. Just guessing, I think the many problems with growth rods, coupled with the small amount of torso growth remaining in the adolescent growth spurt, tips the balance in favor of fusion for AIS.

I think a JIS parent could rationally choose growth rods over years of uncertain bracing and certainly in the face of failed bracing.

Another option is Shilla which is a hybrid growth rod system and small fusion at the curve apex. I have no idea how surgeons decide between growth rods and Shilla.
              Last edited by Pooka1; 12-09-2011, 02:14 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Is strange, but anyway parents should to be aware of this.. I know much parents that would go to the moon if there an effective reversible fusionless surgery would be done.

Comment

Is strange, but anyway parents should to be aware of this.. I know much parents that would go to the moon if there an effective reversible fusionless surgery would be done.
                  Fer,

MAGEC is not claimed by the company to be better than other growth rods EXCEPT in the area of being able to lengthen the rods without surgery.

MAGEC is subject to the same other problems as other growth rods and the company doesn't claim otherwise anywhere. Nobody claims MAGEC is different from other growth rods in any way EXCEPT being able to extend them without surgery.

MAGEC is not a new class of treatment. It is in the category "growth rods" and has the same issues EXCEPT the surgery to lengthen.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                    Fer,

MAGEC is not claimed by the company to be better than other growth rods EXCEPT in the area of being able to lengthen the rods without surgery.

MAGEC is subject to the same other problems as other growth rods and the company doesn't claim otherwise anywhere. Nobody claims MAGEC is different from other growth rods in any way EXCEPT being able to extend them without surgery.

MAGEC is not a new class of treatment. It is in the category "growth rods" and has the same issues EXCEPT the surgery to lengthen.
                    Where do you get your information from? Do you even read and research anything or do you just presume to know everything in the universe? A science gawd perhaps.

Maybe it will turn out that this is all hype, which I doubt, but you have absolutely NO WAY of knowing this with the information that has been released to the public.

Please let us know your sources.

Behrooz A. Akbarnia, M.D.
                    Past President, SRS

“MAGEC is designed for motion
                    preservation
                    and noninvasive
                    lengthening with no permanent
                    implant and minimal trauma.
                    A giant step forward.”

“Ellipse has developed a truly remarkable technology that will dramatically advance treatment of spinal deformity in children and significantly improve the otherwise traumatic experience these children currently endure,” says Dr. Behrooz Akbarnia, Past President, Scoliosis Research Society and Medical Director at the San Diego Center for Spinal Disorders, La Jolla, Calif. He also is a Clinical Professor of Orthopaedics at the University of California San Diego. Dr. Akbarnia is the recipient of the prestigious ’Walter P. Blount Humanitarian Award’ from the Scoliosis Research Society for his many important contributions to the field of spine surgery.

http://www.ellipse-tech.com/sites/de..._July_2011.pdf

Comment

• Originally posted by flerc View Post
                      Flerc, this system is still in the testing phase. It will take time to prove it in much larger numbers of kids. However, it is now getting press so if any parents are interested there in Europe, I'd have them contact Dr. Hilali H. Noordeen, FRCS, Fellow, Royal College of Surgery in Britain if they want more information.
                      Last edited by Ballet Mom; 12-09-2011, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• None of that conflicts with what I wrote.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                          None of that conflicts with what I wrote.
                          POOKA QUOTE:

Fer,

Sorry Pooka, but there is no way that I believe you're a scientist with a Ph.D.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
                            POOKA QUOTE:

Fer,

I got my information from the company website.

None of what I wrote conflicts with it.

You are not following along. Again.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Balletmom, you are not contributing to the group.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
                                That's believable since you have no training with which to detect a PhD scientist, PhD research or PhD anything. I do not expect you to be able to identify who has a PhD and who doesn't with any accuracy whatsoever.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X