No announcement yet.

Surgery 11-13/2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys! Last night was a tough one full of crying and pain. Who would have though my foot would sting and burn when my back is what was fixed? I mean my foot was numb ( or felt like it was sleeping) after surgery and what would I give to get that back instead of this new burning pain.
    Tamena
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Tam

I’m sure that you are just inflamed from the surgery. Try to take it real slow right now, you are still VERY early.

I had the burning feet also....the nerves need to heal and can be stubborn sometimes. Try not to agitate anything. Those nerves are connected into your lumbar area.

Hang in there

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi,

Hope this finds you feeling much better and another day further on your journey. I wanted to comment on your nerve pain in your feet...horrid pain it is, won't respond to opiates. I had my surgery because of constant chronic foot pain and burning, and other issues. During surgery it was discovered that the nerves at L2 L3 were trashed. The surgeon commented that "some of the nerves came back to life quickly, some, not so much". I was taken to xray while still in ICU to see if my right foot was "still alive"(?). The burning stopped after surgery, what a relief, along with the annoying numbness of my right thigh. But...if I am overdoing it at nearly six months postop, the burning starts in my feet at a .05 and the numbness starts back a tiny bit, to tell me to cool my jets.

I was put on Lyrica in the hospital, on day one, I think that really helped. Lyrica and gabapentin are both used for epileptic seizures. One of my daughters has had epilepsy since she was four, so I am familiar with them. They work by slowing down the nerve's electrical firing. They can slow down your thoughts as well. And since they affect the nerves and the brain, when you try to discontinue them, you might have problems unless you slowly taper off. I doubt I will be able to go off my lyrica anytime soon, seems my thoracic area now has a pinched nerve, I have stinging burning pain around my midriff area, just at the t12 line, I was fused from t6 to s2.

Good luck, and hang tough!

Wendy
        Wendy
        Fusion T6 to S2 with Dr. Carlos Bagley,
        Duke Spine Center
        Surgery Date June 21, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by tae_tap View Post
          Thanks guys! Last night was a tough one full of crying and pain. Who would have though my foot would sting and burn when my back is what was fixed? I mean my foot was numb ( or felt like it was sleeping) after surgery and what would I give to get that back instead of this new burning pain.
          Tamena
          Tamena,

Did they give you anything for foot pain? Have you tried gabapentin or amitriptyline? My right foot and leg was also hurting bad right after the surgery. Slowly the leg pain decreased, but my foot would go numb or feel like my foot fell asleep and it happened only when I was laying down. When I walked or sit, I didn't have any foot problems, but as soon as I laid down, my right foot would go numb, sting and burn etc. Weird, hah? Gabapenting didn't do much for me, but amitriptyline helped. I don't take any drugs anymore, but still have this slight sensation when I am in bed, but it's not nearly as bad as in the beginning. I hope your foot pain eases up!
          I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
          45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
          A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Lyrica has helped my foot "zingers" some, but I still have a lot of buzzing. Tamena, I hope that you find some relief! Are you on Gabapentin or Lyrica? All I can say, is that it takes time. I have to say that to myself all of the time as I am impatient.
            Wishing you a good night of sleep, Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I talked to Dr. Kelly's nurse this morning. He wants me to try ice packs 24/7 for the next two days before putting me on the harsh nerve meds. Said the burning is coming from the L5-sacrum area swelling and if we can naturally get the swelling down the burning will go away. So we shall see how it works because I would rather have a cold body over the side effects of meds.

Tamena

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

The shooting nerve pain has increased significantly so I am now on 100 mg of GABA. Hoping it helps without the side effects.

Braced till age 15

Comment

Hope that the Gabapentin works for you! It is a great drug if it works and you have minimal side effects. Remember that all of these meds are temporary. Just weigh the side effects and pain relief. Wishing you well. Susan
                  Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Originally posted by dixiesmommie
                    Hi, I have a long history of Scoliosis surgeries. My most recent surgery was on Sept 5th, and I also experienced severe nerve pain about a few weeks out. My doctor called in Cymbalta and a steriod pack. I took one pill of Cymbalta and slept for 2 or 3 days??? The steriod pack seemed to reduce the inflammation and the pain let up quite a bit. The nerve pain was the worst!!!! I now have all my surgical pain back and am trying to take less pain medication each day. My pain management dr tells me to keep taking the meds an to not worry about getting off them this quick. I am having some more nerve pain which radiates to my groin. I know TMI. He tells me this is thought to be nerves from within the sacrum. He tells me to give my body time to heal a little more before struggling without the meds.

I sure hope you start to feel some relief from the Gabapentin.
                    It was not TMI about the groin pain....I had the opposite after surgery, that of groin numbness. Fortunately, it only lasted a few months.

Suggestion about pain meds: take them and when you eventually go ff them, do so slowly and carefully. The advantage of pain meds is that it helps you get up and about and get out of bed.

So sorry about your nerve pain. Susan

Comment

Working...
                    X