Leg Twitches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg Twitches

I had anterior/posterior surgery in Nov 08. I was fused from T3-L5. Although the pain has really decreased (thank you, God), I find that at night when I try to sleep, my left leg starts figeting. It's maddening! It's like I cannot be still. Consequently, I've had big problems going to sleep for a week now. I'm exhausted. Has anyone else had this problem?

Wascaly,

I can't give any advise just well wishes that the problem subsides soon! Maybe the doctor can prescribe something that will help you fall asleep such as Ambien. Not sure if that would help....just a thought. Good Luck! 65 more days until my surgery...not looking forward to it!!!!!!

Susan
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wascaly View Post
      I had anterior/posterior surgery in Nov 08. I was fused from T3-L5. Although the pain has really decreased (thank you, God), I find that at night when I try to sleep, my left leg starts figeting. It's maddening! It's like I cannot be still. Consequently, I've had big problems going to sleep for a week now. I'm exhausted. Has anyone else had this problem?
      Wascaly- I know that feelling, its sooo annoying. I get those twitches all over tho. Mainly my legs....and it starts as soon as I get comfortable and relaxed(as relaxed as a fused spine can get that is) Two days ago, my whole body did this twitch & I swear it actaully moved me on the bed...it was weird!!
      Lynn -30.... something
      DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
      At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
      At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
      Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
      UW Madison, WI Hospital
      **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

I had it too, actually it was twitches all over my body. I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but once I was totally off all pain meds, the twitches stopped. Maybe it was just at the point in my recovery that they stopped on their own.

I know how annoying it can be. Sometimes I would wake myself up with a big twitch.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi wascaly,

Those leg twitches are know as restless leg syndrome. Call your Doctor and have him prescribe you something. My RLS started as soon as I went off all pain meds and it is impossible to sleep. I am on Neurontin (gabapentin) 300mg three times a day and it also helps with the nerve pain I am still experiencing. Exercising my legs also helps with the RLS. I hope you find something that will help you soon because you really need your sleep when you are recovering from your surgery.

Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thanks!

A big thank you to all who responded to my problem with leg twitches. Although I'm not having so much leg movement at night, I am having problems going to sleep. I'm not sure where this is coming from, since I slept pretty good (even with the brace) when I got home from the hospital. It's no wonder people get so depressed after this surgery - so many problems pop up while you're recovering. I'm beginning to wonder if this was worth it.

Comment

I have always been one of those "gifted" sleepers (ha!) who could fall asleep IMMEDIATELY when my head hit the pillow... so I found it quite unusual and frustrating at various periods during those first several months post op when I would lie awake for seemingly hours. (And yes, I logged some of them that way and asked my doctor!) I think they were often associated with med changes in dosage or things like that. I have been back to my old sleep patterns MOST of the time, so take heart. I think you'll find that after these nuisance problems pass and you are stronger and more able to do things, that you'll be happy about your surgery. I am.
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by wascaly View Post
                A big thank you to all who responded to my problem with leg twitches. Although I'm not having so much leg movement at night, I am having problems going to sleep. I'm not sure where this is coming from, since I slept pretty good (even with the brace) when I got home from the hospital. It's no wonder people get so depressed after this surgery - so many problems pop up while you're recovering. I'm beginning to wonder if this was worth it.
                Wascaly---I have been saying the samething to myself...thinking to myself-is this really worth it, going thru the recovery, waiting as patiently as possible, relearning how to do everything you used to do w/ease. It stinks, but I have to believe, no, WE have to believe that it WILL get better and w/in a few months, as long as that does seem, we will be back to our old, but straighened out selves!! Wow-that was deep!

Enjoy your weekend & I hope you get a good nights sleep, or at least find a comfortable spot on your bed to stare at the ceiling! lol :P
                Lynn -30.... something
                DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                UW Madison, WI Hospital
                **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

I also have had some trouble sleeping (both on pain meds and off), and leg/arm twitching on my left side. I thought the twitching was just my MS (I've had trouble with it in the past), but maybe it has more to do with the surgery? The insomnia is annoying. Maybe it's because we've been through a traumatic experience? Perhaps it's like PTSD for awhile. Not sure. I feel good in other ways, but some nights are definitely a challenge.

Here's to a good night's sleep for all of us!
                  Lisa MS
                  age 46

Braced 1976 - 1980, corrected to 19" then
                  Spinal fusion, a/p, 8 vertebrae, 11/17/08
                  Lumbar curve was 57 degrees, now 24 degrees
                  Dr. Doug Wong, Panorama Ortho, Golden, Colo.

Comment

Sounds like RLS (like Sally said). Ask your doctor. My daughter has it and is on Mirapax ... it completely alleviated her symptoms.

There are several effective medications out there.

Good luck!

Regards,
                    Pam
                    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                    EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                    X