Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you have more than 1 child with Scoliosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you have more than 1 child with Scoliosis?

I have a baby girl that is 7 months, when I was pregnant with her I had a comment that because I was having another girl, that she would most likely have Scoliosis too. I do know it's hereditery, it's in my DH's family but I am wondering how common it is for siblings to have it. My older daughter had juvenile scoliosis, so I will be looking out for it early on with my youngest.
    Marlowe mom to Halle (age 11)
    Diagnosed January 11/08
    In Spinecor Brace for 2 1/2 years

In the Cheneau Brace for 10 months
    Being treated at Sick Kids Hospital - Dr. Reinhard Zeller

Surgery Scheduled at Sick Kids for May 16, 2011

http://hallesscoliosis.blogspot.com/

I have two boys and one girl. My daughter has very mild scoliosis. One son had what appeared to be juvenile, but is straight as an arrow now, so guess he outgrew it. I have curves of 46* and 38*.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

I have identical twins both with scoliosis but different curve types within the thorax.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Here's a good refernce...

The risk is small but there because of the genetic nature of idiopathic scoliosis...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2674301/

How “Genetic” is IS Compared to other Common and Complex Diseases?

Familial risk values may be used to estimate and compare the genetic effects across diseases. Prior sibling risk studies of IS have reported 19% and 11.5% of siblings affected for ≥ 10, ≥ 20-degree curves, respectively, compared to population recurrence risks of ≤ 2% [23, 33, 34]. In a cohort of 305 IS families we found 16% of siblings affected (unpublished data) and compared these numbers to the incidence of IS in the general population in order to estimate the sibling risk ratio (λs) for IS. This yielded overall λs values ranging from 8-23, dependent on curve severity. These values represent significant genetic effects that are comparable to those for other well-described complex genetic diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis (RA), Crohn’s disease (CD), type 1 diabetes (T1D), or psoriasis (Table 1). The possibility of a major gene contributing to IS, analogous to human leukocyte antigen (HLA) genes in the listed inflammatory diseases, has been suggested but remains unproven [39].
        Another reference says fraternal twins (= any sibling-sibling pair) both have scoliosis about 1/3 of the time and identical twins have scoliosis about 75% of the time essentially proving the genetic etiology.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Two girls both Adolescent onset

Dee
          Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
          Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
          Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
            Another reference says fraternal twins (= any sibling-sibling pair) both have scoliosis about 1/3 of the time and identical twins have scoliosis about 75% of the time essentially proving the genetic etiology.
            This may say something about those with familial scoliosis, i.e. scoliosis where you have other family members with scoliosis, it does not necessarily say anything at all about those with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis where there is no close familial relationship. It is known as idiopathic scoliosis for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
              This may say something about those with familial scoliosis, i.e. scoliosis where you have other family members with scoliosis, it does not necessarily say anything at all about those with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis where there is no close familial relationship. It is known as idiopathic scoliosis for a reason.
              Idiopathic doesn't mean not genetic.

All idiopathic scoliosis is genetic.

You continue to be confused on this point.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Idiopathic doesn't mean not genetic.

All idiopathic scoliosis is genetic.

You continue to be confused on this point.
                If ballet students develop scoliosis, is it caused by the ballet or is it caused by their lax joints? Do rhythmic gymnasts typically develop left lumbar curves, and ballet students develop right thoracic curves due to their genetics or their sports? Would they have developed scoliosis if they hadn't participated in those activities?

If it turns out that a virus such as chickenpox actually turns out to be the trigger for scoliosis, does that make scoliosis genetic? Do you know for a fact that scoliosis is not caused by a some sort of organism?

Is the DNA of an older mother necessarily aged genetic material that causes scoliosis in their kids or might it have other causes such as nerve damage at birth from more difficult deliveries?

If a genetic predisposition is all that is necessary to call the etiology of a disease genetic, I guess probably most conditions and illnesses can be considered genetic. And I don't believe they are.

Comment

You were the one who first posted the 2009 POSNA special symposium on IS.

Review the talk on top theories of IS. He starts with a comment that it's all genetics. Think about why he said that. The clue is in the theories on the table that the researchers are investigating.

There is a consensus in the community on this. Denying that a consensus exists is equivalent to denying the consensus on the fact of evolution and the fact of an old earth.

Read the article that was posted upthread.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

You were the one who first posted the 2009 POSNA special symposium on IS.

Review the talk on top theories of IS. He starts with a comment that it's all genetics. Think about why he said that. The clue is in the theories on the table that the researchers are investigating.

There is a consensus in the community on this. Denying that a consensus exists is equivalent to denying the consensus on the fact of evolution and the fact of an old earth.

Read the article that was posted upthread.
                    "The word "idiopathic" means "cause unknown". Another word for the underlying cause of a disease or condition is etiology. There are many theories about the etiology of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS) but no clear single cause. Most experts consider AIS to have multiple linked causes including genetics, environment and lifestyle, and nervous system dysfunction with biologic and hormonal influences."

http://www.eorthopod.com/content/is-...osis-effective

Comment

You are not using those words as the researchers use them.

Denying the genetics of IS is equivalent to being a flat-earther.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

You are not using those words as the researchers use them.

Denying the genetics of IS is equivalent to being a flat-earther.
                        Simply astonishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
                          Simply astonishing.
                          That's what all the flat-earthers say in response. Besides the pouting of course.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

emphasis added

Before we look at how surgeons decide to use bracing, it should be pointed out that when asked why surgeons use bracing without convincing evidence that it works, there is agreement that the chance to reduce the risk of needing surgery is worth the effort.
                            Is this not EXACTLY what I have been banging on about? It this not EXACTLY what I have been saying?

Sponseller and others may think it works in some cases but no competent, sane surgeon claims there is good evidence it works. And Sponseller is admitting EXACTLY that. This is medicine and science and must be that way.

That is my entire point. Bracing may work in some cases. This research is so hard that I can well imagine a (small) population out there who might avoid surgery, perhaps for life with the right brace at the right time with full compliance. But there is a huge false positive signal here (~3/4 of the braced kids) that has to be dealt with.

And when talking about making baby kids wear a hard 23 h/d brace, you can't just KNOW it, you have to SHOW it in my opinion. Sponseller claims it's still worth a try. Other surgeons disagree. When you see opinions all over the map like that it is proof the jury is still out.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Another quote...

Dr. Sponseller concludes by reminding us that there is some evidence that bracing can be effective. But it is unpredictable as to how much or who might benefit the most (or at all).
                              I suggest he is probably (mostly?) referring to the 2010 Katz et al. article here.

Is this not EXACTLY what I said about Katz et al. (2010)? That there is a small signal that is completely swamped out by the variability such that you can never predict what will happen in an individual case?

I am not clairvoyant. Scoliosis is completely outside my field but everyone, myself and these scoliosis researchers, are all dealing with the same principles of science. Science is a hard game, especially in medicine where hands are tied and you almost can't do an adequately controlled study. My hat is off to all these guys who at least try and salvage what they can. It's straight up courage to do this research in the face of that.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X