spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shiners used Spinecor in Erie, PA

Just an FYI-Erie Shriners braced with Spinecor as well as other hard braces with an orthopedic surgeon overseeing the orthotist when we went in 2006. We did go there and they do not charge for the brace if recommended. We were advised no brace would hold my daughters curve, which was also advised as true by a second opinion at Scottish Rite, and confirmed with eventual surgery. However Spinecor has been recommended and used, by an orthopedic surgeon there, at least then, but I don't know if they still do or not, to be honest. Just thought that was worth mentioning. I don't think that Spinecor, developed by orthopedic surgeons, to my knowledge, Dr. Rivard, or most are the problem or issue. I do think there are a minority of those bracing, that are the ones giving Spinecor an unfortunate negative taint. I agree parents have to research and do what they feel is best for their own child.
    Last edited by Mom37; 09-07-2008, 10:44 PM. Reason: adding
    Shirley
    Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

• Originally posted by Mom37 View Post
      Just an FYI-Erie Shriners braced with Spinecor as well as other hard braces with an orthopedic surgeon overseeing the orthotist when we went in 2006.
      Just out of curiousity, I see your daughter was treated in 2006. Do any of the Shriner's hospitals still treat with Spinecor?

Regards,
      Pam
      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
      EMAIL ME

Comment

• Thank you Pam & Sharon for your intelligent & reasonable posts.

Jill, thank you for putting into words what I would have wanted to. That was a fine post.

Maria . You're beginning to scare me.
        UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
        10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
        Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• Originally posted by RugbyLaura View Post
          Thank you Pam & Sharon for your intelligent & reasonable posts.

Jill, thank you for putting into words what I would have wanted to. That was a fine post.

Maria . You're beginning to scare me.
          Very odd, Laura since, in essense Pam, Sharon and I said much the same thing. Anyone who goes back and reads the posts will see that.

For whatever reason, you do not like me personally and believe me, I could care less - but your bias against me is quite obvious with that last post. It's really a disservice to the forum when one constantly brings personalities into it rather than focusing on substance.

Therefore, since it is obvious that you can't comment rationally on anything I post, why don't you just refrain from posting (albeit indirectly) back to me or commenting on what I have to say every chance you get? For the good of the forum, wouldn't that be more constructive than trying to start an argument?
          Last edited by mariaf; 09-08-2008, 08:08 AM.
          mariaf305@yahoo.com
          Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
          Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• I think that the main reason this thread becomes so intense is because of the ridiculous claims SOME people make about spinecor (not most of the parents but people like dsicequeen). Spinecor seems to be the only brace that people feel a need to prove is THE answer for all in treating scoliosis. I have yet to read anyone write so passionately about the Boston Brace, Providence brace or Wilmington brace and claim that it is the best thing since sliced bread. For example, in dsicequeen's post...........If you replaced the word "spinecor" with the words "boston brace" I am sure you would be reading the same doubt in the replies of the parents who have responded.

There is no "one size fits all" treatment for scoliosis. We all make the best choice we can given the info and options available for our child. I truly believe the parents here just want newbies to make sure their decision is based on facts that they have gotten from a credible doctor, not influenced by ridiculous testimonials and advertising. There can sometimes be significant health issues that may be an underlying cause to scoliosis that NO brace can fix, and these issues need to be ruled out by a medical professional.

-Cara
            Cara, Mom to Nathan
            Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
            Boston Back Brace 8/07 – 12/07
            VBS 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
            Dr. Hresko
            40 Degrees before VBS
            11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

www.vertebralstapling.com

Comment

• Originally posted by nate03 View Post
              I truly believe the parents here just want newbies to make sure their decision is based on facts that they have gotten from a credible doctor, not influenced by ridiculous testimonials and advertising.
              Cara,

Thank you for that post.

What you wrote is PRECISELY the reason that I post in cases like this!!

I'm so glad (but not at all surprised) that you "get" it.
              mariaf305@yahoo.com
              Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
              Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• Cara,
                I think that the main reason this thread becomes so intense is because of the ridiculous claims SOME people make about spinecor (not most of the parents but people like dsicequeen).
                I have been visiting this forum for about 18 months and this is the first post that I have seen that makes "ridculous claims". Your post implies that this has happened before. Have I missed something?

We are very happy with Spinecor, and although I acknowledge that it's not for everyone or every case, I would urge people to include it in their list of options to research.

My worry is that a newbie visiting this thread may get the impression that Spinecor is not worthy of investigation, this is not the case.

Perhaps we should archive this thread & start again?

Laura
                UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
                10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.

Comment

• Whoops, I meant: this is the first post that I have seen that makes "ridculous claims" about Spinecor.

I have seen plenty of other ridiculous claims!

Comment

• I can't help it ...

Cara, I'm still laughing at the thought of anyone writing a "best thing since sliced bread" essay on a Boston brace. Were I motivated to write one, it would contain some pretty creative phrasing of four letter words and ... well ... general *loathing*. (so I shall not ;-)

And, Laura, I second the motion this behemoth needs to die (die, die, DIE!).

I'd suggest, however, the very first post of a new thread contain a link to it. There IS a lot of history here ... especially on how kids started in the brace, and where they are now.

If someone is motivated enough they can dig through it before they make a choice for their child. Anyone who isn't (to do the research on ANY treatment) has already made up their mind, IMO.

Comments, anyone?

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                    EMAIL ME

Comment

• Whoops again. Have just spotted my typos - always doing them, fingers have a life of their own! Would it be OK if I edit my previous posts to amend them or would it be considered sinister? ("what did she edit out?? what did she say before that she's changed her mind about??")

Or shall I just leave them?

Your vote counts.

Comment

• Am totally paranoid about editing (as you might have noticed).

I also meant to say that I'd be happy,with a tear in my eye and a fond farewell, for the spinecor thread to be archived. Just so long as is it never deleted entirely. I am emotionally attached to it! Sad but true - I just think it has got(ten (is that what Americans say?)) too big & too difficult to read as research.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Laura

Comment

• I think the Spinecor thread is a phenomenon unto itself.

I have never seen a thread get like that on any forum I have ever read.

I don't understand why it happened.
                          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                            I think the Spinecor thread is a phenomenon unto itself.
                            I will refrain from comment on the "why", and only say it deserves a place in history next to the "Largest Ball of Twine".

Laura, no sinister editing. Fat fingers be damned! ;-) What you wrote was understandable, and in THIS venue, typos are better than ... shady.

Heh.

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                            EMAIL ME

Comment

• Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
                              I will refrain from comment on the "why", and only say it deserves a place in history next to the "Largest Ball of Twine".
                              Laughing my ASS off! I just scared the bejeezus out of my microswine with my sudden laughing.

That is the funniest thing I've read in a very, very, very, very long time.

And take your 12 rods and... LOL!

On man. I'm crying I'm laughing so hard.
                              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                                Laughing my ASS off! I just scared the bejeezus out of my microswine with my sudden laughing.

That is the funniest thing I've read in a very, very, very, very long time.

And take your 12 rods and... LOL!

On man. I'm crying I'm laughing so hard.
                                And 4 months ago, did you ever think you'd honestly laugh at ANYTHING I said?

No one else has snapped to the "Largest Ball of Twine" ref ... or maybe it's not a joke to some ...

And now I'M laughing at "microswine" ...

I feel a limerick coming on (it's far too lively for haiku) ...
                                Last edited by txmarinemom; 09-08-2008, 07:47 PM.

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                                EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                                X