HELP Questions for Revision Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP Questions for Revision Surgery

I wrote on Crying. I'm 60 yrs & 1st of all thanks to those that replied. I do not know how to do it (reply). Secondly I need 1 yr old hardware replaced with new, a bolt added in sacrum, cross link (holding rods together) is popping out)2 more levels added to Thoracic & may still have some infection left. I have a few questions to those who have had revision surgery &/or researched on it (can't do it myself because due to meds I can't seem to remember). Have hugh bumps up & down spine with loose screws as well as other problems. Questions please:
    1. Please, can you tell me what drs did successful revision surgery on yourselves & how long were you in hospital
    2. Can you please send me names of Drs. & areas (City,State) that did yours?
    3. If you were going to see new dr, what would you ask him/her about upcoming surgery?
    4. After hospital, how was rehab handled & how does one go about finding a good rehab?(my last was horrific) Also how long did you stay in rehab?
    5. What about using my own bone & blood vs anothers? Best rods to have put in? I was told I have Harrington.

Reneetina
    Last edited by Reneetina; 02-18-2012, 05:21 PM.
    60 yrs old did scuba,lift & work. Miss all.
    1st t surgery,28 years. L4/5 fusion
    2nd surgery 10-19; went from 2 80%+ curves to 20% + 30%.T4-S1,38 screws (loose & angled wrong), 15 fusions many fusions did not take,& horrific had/have(?) infection.
    Lot of pain.

Hello, again.
    To reply, just go to the bottom of the thread and click on the blue button on the left that states, "+ Reply to Thread". That way you can keep your other thread going, since this is the same topic. If you go back to your other thread, Linda Racine gave you some very good doctors to choose from. I had sent her a private message asking her to respond to you, not that she wouldn't have anyway. She is probably one of the most helpful on the forum because she is a scoliosis patient who has had surgery and revision surgery AND she works with spine orthos. You will eventually get the hang of how to use the forum. I'm still figuring things out after over a year. Best wishes.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

thanks so much

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
      Hello, again.
      To reply, just go to the bottom of the thread and click on the blue button on the left that states, "+ Reply to Thread". That way you can keep your other thread going, since this is the same topic. If you go back to your other thread, Linda Racine gave you some very good doctors to choose from. I had sent her a private message asking her to respond to you, not that she wouldn't have anyway. She is probably one of the most helpful on the forum because she is a scoliosis patient who has had surgery and revision surgery AND she works with spine orthos. You will eventually get the hang of how to use the forum. I'm still figuring things out after over a year. Best wishes.
      Thanks for your feedback. One other question that I can't figure out. How do I start a folder (I
      thought I did it (for the 2 posts) but nothing is in there & I tried to keep the postings (the responds
      and the ones that I wrote back. (like this) also the yellow auto save that pops up and goes away on the bottom right as I write this....what is that? LOL yes, I'm not that great at computers.
      Well thanks again and I do hope you are feeling well since I have not had time to read the diff
      forums, I'm sorry to say I don't know about you yet (but I'll learn). Again, thanks for your info
      Feel well & take care. Reneetina ps should I redo my posts & make them more clear? I do not
      seem to get any replies. again, again, thanks!!!
      2nd surgery 10-19; went from 2 80%+ curves to 20% + 30%.T4-S1,38 screws (loose & angled wrong), 15 fusions many fusions did not take,& horrific had/have(?) infection.
      Lot of pain.

Comment

Hi Reneetina...

As far as I know, there are no folders within the forums.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Reneetina and welcome to the forum.

I can't answer many of your questions because I haven't had revision surgery, only the initial one, nearly three years ago. But regarding the bone/blood question, I just wanted to say, each surgeon seems to have his/her own opinions. My own surgeon didn't want me to donate my own blood or bone from my hip, and I'm grateful for that. Taking bone from the hip can result in some pain long after surgical pain has gone (though not always.) I was given donor bone, plus my own bone from osteotomies (small chunks taken from my spine that had to be removed anyway) as well as BMP which is a man made agent which ensures faster fusion. It seems some think that donating your own blood can result in you being not quite up to par on surgery day. I suspect this to be true only if you donate within a few days of surgery, which doesn't sound like a good idea. These days, donated blood is very safe.

Good luck negotiating the forum and I hope you find a great surgeon who can help you back to a healthy life.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Help Questions for Revision Surgery

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
            Hi Reneetina...

As far as I know, there are no folders within the forums.

--Linda
            Hello Linda & thanks for putting up with me but this is where I get confused. On the URL
            www.scoliosis.org/forum/private.php On the L top says (My Messages) @ bottom of box, says 'edit folders' yet I can't find inbox or sent.(folders)
            Also
            Next box down on Left, (MY Subscriptions) at bottom, it says same= Edit Folders (can I subscribe to something?)

Lastly, there is a bar that says Folder controls which states it contains 6 messages, I have 10 stored but then it says Empty Folder! Anyway, that is where all my confusion lies. Are there things I can subscribe to? Hope all is well.
            thanks for anti confusion briefing.
            Reneetina
            Lot of pain.

Comment

Hi Reneetina...

That folder function is for any private messages that you receive, not for messages posted in the public forums.

I think you can subscribe to a thread by clicking on the Thread Tools link in the grey bar towards the top of the page when you're viewing a thread, then selecting Subscribe to This Thread. If you've posted to a thread, I believe you're automatically subscribed.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Help Questions for Revision Surgery & crying

Hello all:

I hope this finds everyone feeling better. Due to all my screws coming out and meeting with different doctors, I want to thank everyone for responding & trying to help. If there is anyone out there that has gone through their 2nd surgery and more can you tell me what you went through please.

My husband is also going through a lot and hurts. Due to this, although I am in a lot of pain, I have been getting a lot of grief from him. I ask to try to help him but he refuses and tells me that sometimes he wishes I had told him I was going to be so sick. When I met him, I did not know and was not. I was very active but I'm so sorry to vent so I'll stop now and go back to checking on doctors.

We would go to Dr. Hu but due to his pain, he can't sleep in the car and its been difficult finding a place for him although he really is a quiet, sweet man. He has become my nurse and I believe that is why he is so upset. Enough of that from me (sorry)!

Thanks to all for listening and may everyone have beautiful rainbows in their lives.
                Reneetina
                Lot of pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Reneetina View Post
                  Hello Linda & thanks for putting up with me but this is where I get confused. On the URL
                  www.scoliosis.org/forum/private.php On the L top says (My Messages) @ bottom of box, says 'edit folders' yet I can't find inbox or sent.(folders)
                  Also
                  Next box down on Left, (MY Subscriptions) at bottom, it says same= Edit Folders (can I subscribe to something?)

Lastly, there is a bar that says Folder controls which states it contains 6 messages, I have 10 stored but then it says Empty Folder! Anyway, that is where all my confusion lies. Are there things I can subscribe to? Hope all is well.
                  thanks for anti confusion briefing.
                  Reneetina
                  Hi Linda: Is there anyway that I can do another new post? You mentioned 2 drs in surgery but hard to do. How did you pull it off?
                  Thanks & take care
                  Reneetina
                  Lot of pain.

Comment

Hi...

Yes, I had two attendings. I never knew whether they got approval (or even asked for that matter) for two attendings. It's entirely possible that they never billed for the second attending in my case, because I work for them.

I think the only thing you can do is ask Dr. Hu (or whomever you choose), if it's possible to have another attending in on the surgery. If there's not a physical reason for it, however, I doubt that any insurance company would approve it. I think the times when it does get approved, it's usually in terms of people needing or wanting both an ortho and a neuro.

Regards,
                    Linda

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                      Hi...

Yes, I had two attendings. I never knew whether they got approval (or even asked for that matter) for two attendings. It's entirely possible that they never billed for the second attending in my case, because I work for them.

I think the only thing you can do is ask Dr. Hu (or whomever you choose), if it's possible to have another attending in on the surgery. If there's not a physical reason for it, however, I doubt that any insurance company would approve it. I think the times when it does get approved, it's usually in terms of people needing or wanting both an ortho and a neuro.

Regards,
                      Linda
                      Hi again:
                      Don't want to sound like a pain but limited time to choose Dr. How do I go about doing another 2 posts so I get more responses. I'll be more clear with them.
                      Thanks. PS: I'm jealous, I want to go back to work too!pss: can you send again the rooms URS to peacfulgal@roadrunner.com
                      Lot of pain.

Comment

Hi again:
                        Don't want to sound like a pain but limited time to choose Dr. How do I go about doing another 2 posts so I get more responses. I'll be more clear with them.
                        Thanks. PS: I'm jealous, I want to go back to work too!pss: can you send again the rooms URS to peacfulgal@roadrunner.com
                        Hi...

I'm not clear on what you want. Everyone can see your questions on this thread. Did you want to start another thread? If so (and I don't encourage it), you can go here:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/newth...newthread&f=92

And, what do you means by "rooms URS"?

Comment

Hi again:
                          I also do not know what you are asking
                          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Went to see Dr Patrick Hsieh at USC, the main dr that does all revisions there. He works with nobody else but has some fellows. Spent 2 hrs explaining how complicated surgery will be. Stopped counting loose screws/bad fusions & said a lot holes too big to fill in may have to find new areas for screws & will have to remove ALL hardware and replace plus add 2 levels & bolt. My only concern is that he didn't care about rehab & wanted to send me to nursing home OR place that let me go too early; before I could walk, dress etc. Now I have NO help! Seeing Dr. Samuel Beterman next week will send date & time. I need someone that cares about rehab-don't want to fall again. Thanks all. Reneetina
                            Last edited by Reneetina; 02-10-2012, 03:39 PM. Reason: add something dr said
                            Lot of pain.

Comment

Help Questions for Revision Surgery

This is to clarify my last post!
                              Hi (last post not supposed to be)-About my apt Thurs.I'm adding:Revision not only complicated but maybe impossible also many fusions did not take. Since screws put in wrong, every time I move they move & he may not be able to find any new areas for them since some holes too long or wrong places/angles he added issue about problem with what to close the old holes with. Also,he has to add 4 levels not 2. My concern ab rehab/nursing remains same since my hubby can't take care of my any longer; so I have to go into this as if I live alone w/no $ for caregivers.. Sorry about the redo & thanks for listening & any remarks? Reneetina
                              Lot of pain.

Comment

Working...
                              X