No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i want to throw it off a roof set it on fire use it as a trampoline and run it over with my dads kabota

Comment

• Spinecor comfort

Hi gerbo,

I am new to this forum and my daughter has been wearing the brace for five weeks now. I am having a hard time figuring out when these messages were posted so today is 8/21/08. She had a hard time the first night feeling a lot of pressure with the brace and had lots of tears. Now she is very used to it and hasn't had any problems. We had our first in brace x-ray last week and she had a six degree improvement. Both the Orthist and her Orthopedic Surgeon were happy with that number. Unlike the Boston Brace which gives instant correction in brace, the Spinecor Brace is a gradual improvement. However it is suppose to hold some of the correction if caught early enough where the Boston will go back to the original curve or worse. That is what they told us last Monday. She was also allowed to change the strapping positions so it will be better in her shirts now. To get back to your question, it is pretty comfortable for her unless we go out all day like when we went to Disneyland last week and walked all day. The leg bands start to bother her. We are working with Rita to make a bodysuit with short legs, that would help. Take care.

Comment

• Hello, just came back from our check-up, she started at a "3" in brace almost three years ago, she's holding at an "11," and that's with over 4 inches of growth . . . . so Spinecor's doing it, so far . . . . .
        p

Comment

• Congratulations Pat!! That is a great number with that much growth!!
          Emily's mom-11 1/2 years old
          28 degree scoliosis 9/04
          Chiari Malformation/SM decompressed 11/04
          17-24 degrees 11/04-6/07
          Wearing Spinecor Brace since June 07
          3/31/10- 29 degrees oob
          11/18/09 17 degrees in brace

Comment

• check up results

Hi Pat,

We are just starting out, my daughter has been wearing the Spinecor brace for about five weeks now. Has your daughter had any out of brace x-rays? If so does the correction hold out of brace? Just wondering. Our Dr. said they were only going to do in brace x-rays. Glad to hear you are having good results, that is very incouraging.

Comment

• Originally posted by pat View Post
              Hello, just came back from our check-up, she started at a "3" in brace almost three years ago, she's holding at an "11," and that's with over 4 inches of growth . . . . so Spinecor's doing it, so far . . . . .
              p
              That is great Pat!
              Marlowe mom to Halle (age 11)
              Diagnosed January 11/08
              In Spinecor Brace for 2 1/2 years

In the Cheneau Brace for 10 months
              Being treated at Sick Kids Hospital - Dr. Reinhard Zeller

Surgery Scheduled at Sick Kids for May 16, 2011

http://hallesscoliosis.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenmom View Post
                Hi gerbo,

I am new to this forum and my daughter has been wearing the brace for five weeks now. I am having a hard time figuring out when these messages were posted so today is 8/21/08. She had a hard time the first night feeling a lot of pressure with the brace and had lots of tears. Now she is very used to it and hasn't had any problems. We had our first in brace x-ray last week and she had a six degree improvement. Both the Orthist and her Orthopedic Surgeon were happy with that number. Unlike the Boston Brace which gives instant correction in brace, the Spinecor Brace is a gradual improvement. However it is suppose to hold some of the correction if caught early enough where the Boston will go back to the original curve or worse. That is what they told us last Monday. She was also allowed to change the strapping positions so it will be better in her shirts now. To get back to your question, it is pretty comfortable for her unless we go out all day like when we went to Disneyland last week and walked all day. The leg bands start to bother her. We are working with Rita to make a bodysuit with short legs, that would help. Take care.

Welcome Jen! I am glad to hear that your daughter is getting used to the brace! Which Doctor is she going to?
                Diagnosed January 11/08

Comment

• Thanks! It is good news! We've yet to do out-of-brace x-rays . . . I've spoke to a couple different doctors about it, and any progression of the curve, they've convinced me, we'll see with an in brace anyway. We're content/comfortable with where we're at. p

Comment

• yeah, we have only had in brace ones too and will continue in brace until about March 2010...

I feel like this 5 months between appointments is a LONG time though, Halle could use a tightening of her brace, it seems quite loose in areas... she is getting taller and even slimmer with the height.
                    Diagnosed January 11/08

Comment

• do you ever wonder?

Does anyone ever wonder if the spinecor brace could be doing more damage than good? I mean I guess we'll never really know and it's a chance we are willing to take but Halle's shoulders are now uneven in the way that the brace is pulling her, opposite of her curve and her rib cage on the side opposite of her curve is sticking out more than the other side.

I guess sometimes I just worry since the doctors in Ontario didn't support the Spinecor brace and I went against them. I do think that comfort wise I did choose the best option for her though.
                      Diagnosed January 11/08

Comment

• Originally posted by MJB View Post
                        Welcome Jen! I am glad to hear that your daughter is getting used to the brace! Which Doctor is she going to?
                        Thank you! She is going to Dr. Emory Chang at Miller's Children Hopital in Long Beach, CA. So far we are happy with everything. It took two weeks of phone calls to get everything approved with our insurance and to find Orthotic carrier that was trained that would take our insurance. Dr. Chang's nurse found Jeremy Livingston at Hanger in Downey that just moved here from Arizona where he was trained and experience in using Spinecor. Time will tell but so far we are very hopeful.

Kathy (jenmom)

Comment

• How often are your appointments?

How often do your Doctors want to re-adjust the spinecor brace and take xrays? he wants us every 5 months but I just read online that it should be every 3 months, 4-5 months if the risk of progression is low, well hers isn't low, he just has us come every 5 months because of the distance that we live to there.

I wish he would take the xray before they re-adjust the brace, I am curious to know her curve before it's tightened again.
                          Diagnosed January 11/08

Comment

• Originally posted by Jenmom View Post
                            Thank you! She is going to Dr. Emory Chang at Miller's Children Hopital in Long Beach, CA. So far we are happy with everything. It took two weeks of phone calls to get everything approved with our insurance and to find Orthotic carrier that was trained that would take our insurance. Dr. Chang's nurse found Jeremy Livingston at Hanger in Downey that just moved here from Arizona where he was trained and experience in using Spinecor. Time will tell but so far we are very hopeful.

Kathy (jenmom)
                            That is great! Sorry Kathy, I thought your name was Jen LOL.
                            Diagnosed January 11/08

Comment

• damage or good?

Originally posted by MJB View Post
                              Does anyone ever wonder if the spinecor brace could be doing more damage than good? I mean I guess we'll never really know and it's a chance we are willing to take but Halle's shoulders are now uneven in the way that the brace is pulling her, opposite of her curve and her rib cage on the side opposite of her curve is sticking out more than the other side.

I guess sometimes I just worry since the doctors in Ontario didn't support the Spinecor brace and I went against them. I do think that comfort wise I did choose the best option for her though.
                              Hi MJB,

When we had our first in-brace appt. last week our Orthotic explained to the doctor how the brace works compared to the Boston Brace which is the brace the doctor wanted to use. Dr. Chang or any other Dr. at Miller's Children Hospital in L.B., CA has not used the Spinecor before. They are actually very excited to see the results because Jeremy (Orthotic from Hanger) explained that the Spinecor brace is attempting to do actual correction not just stablize the curve like the Boston Brace does. Dr. Chang said if it actually does some correction or even keeps it at the same curve he will put it on all his scoliosis patients that need bracing. Dr. Chang said in the Boston Brace her curve would go back to the original curve or worse so he said if the Spinecor will even just keep it at the original curve it would be worth using becuase kids would be more likely to wear it. There is still that 20% that bracing will no work on. Anyway you probably know all this but we were told that her shoulder had to rotate and it had to create an opposite curve to achieve the correction.

We are going to see Jeremy every three months for adjustments and to Dr. Chang every four months for x-rays. How often do they have you go?

Comment

• Kathy I we only go every 5 months now. Well she got the brace on March 20th, we went back on April 24 and then he said every 5 months after that, although I couldn't go in Sept because of work, so we have to wait till October, which is closer to 6 months... I think she needs an adjustment already though!
                                Diagnosed January 11/08

Comment

Working...
                                X