No announcement yet.

How folkscience can kill innocent babies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also had no immunity to Rubella when I was pregnant although I was vaccinated for it. I was told to stay away from young children. I did not get the impression that loss of immunity to Rubella was unusual after so many years.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Public health should have no exception for ignorance FULL STOP.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
        Yes reasonable people can disagree on certain vaccines. But not others.
        Another questionable vaccination policy: Apparently, older folks do not gain much benefit from the flu vaccine. Something about their immune system. Yet, there they are lining up every year to get them (and probably being exposed to lots of germs in the process.)

All of this is just to say that the government would find much greater compliance with their vaccination policy if it were not full of these kinds of lapses. It tends to make people a little distrustful of *all* of their recommendations.

On the overall topic, I think that distrust of vaccines is largely tied in with distrust of government. I don't think it has much to do with any particular belief system or political bent, except that people who don't trust their government's recommendations tend to fall back on their own prejudices. Among the hippy-dippy homeschooling crowd (my group) for example, there was a very low compliance rate with vaccination. It had to do (as best I could tell) with a sense that vaccines interfered with more "natural" mechanisms.

Comment

Originally posted by hdugger View Post
          Another questionable vaccination policy: Apparently, older folks do not gain much benefit from the flu vaccine. Something about their immune system. Yet, there they are lining up every year to get them (and probably being exposed to lots of germs in the process.)
          I don't think this is widely known. Not even sure it is true. So I don't think this is a common motivation. Just throwing that out there.

All of this is just to say that the government would find much greater compliance with their vaccination policy if it were not full of these kinds of lapses. It tends to make people a little distrustful of *all* of their recommendations.
          People in a modern society have to learn to triage what they are told. I will be the first to agree that as more and more things are realized to be more and more complex and technical, the average joe has to take more and more of their facts on trust from the experts. But the difference between this and other things they choose to take on trust is that this is evidence driven. That is THE key difference that folks can use to distinguish the various claims from authorities.

On the overall topic, I think that distrust of vaccines is largely tied in with distrust of government. I don't think it has much to do with any particular belief system or political bent, except that people who don't trust their government's recommendations tend to fall back on their own prejudices. Among the hippy-dippy homeschooling crowd (my group) for example, there was a very low compliance rate with vaccination. It had to do (as best I could tell) with a sense that vaccines interfered with more "natural" mechanisms.
          One can only hope the MPHs among that cozy little group bucked the trend and vaccinated. If we can't trust an MPH to vaccinate then we can all give up and go home.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

never heard that about older folks not benefiting from flu vaccine...
            doesnt make sense...what is it about their immune systems?

we were told in teaching that one develops immunity to a lot of the colds 'n stuff kids bring into school...25 years in the public school system, teaching, testing and doing counseling...never got that immunity!
            so i take what they say with a grain of salt...

jess

Comment

I would like to know who found the following comment offensive?

I guess it's offensive to point out that Christians developed and funded most of the hospitals in Western civilization.

And that anti-vaccination fervor is not at all confined to those with faith, or that the main promoter of it was actually a medical doctor who doesn't seem to have a religious background at all.
              We don't live in the Soviet Union as much as some people would like to believe they do.

Comment

I doubt anyone found that offensive. I think it is irrelevant speculation.

I don't report posts. I think I once reported one post a million years ago but not since then. Not in years. I control what I read and wish everyone would.

I also wish people would critically examine various societal taboos against criticizing certain ideas. These are all ideas and none should be immune from criticism.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I doubt anyone found that offensive. I think it is irrelevant speculation.

I don't report posts. I think I once reported one post a million years ago but not since then. Not in years. I control what I read and wish everyone would.

I also wish people would critically examine various societal taboos against criticizing certain ideas. These are all ideas and none should be immune from criticism.
                  If no one found it offensive....why was it deleted?

Comment

Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
                    If no one found it offensive....why was it deleted?
                    I don't think being offensive is the only reason for deletion of posts.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Well, that certainly brings us to the question as to why it was deleted at all, doesn't it?

Comment

what?
                        i do not have any questions about religion or who started what...
                        just want to know WHAT it is about older folks immune systems that would indicate that they don't benefit from flu vaccines...
                        i always question statements about immune systems and how they work for a particular group...not that i think none of the statements could possibly be true..just that i questions them...
                        i waited 25 years for my "elementary school immunity" to kick in...retired, it still hasnt so i tend to question what people tell me about immunity...

my Lyme doctor in East Hampton Long Island once gave me a pneumonia vaccine, saying it would kick my immune system up to better fight Lyme...i dont think it did...
                        i question stuff about immunity...due to many personal experiences...

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                          i question stuff about immunity...due to many personal experiences...
                          Yeah I agree with you. Hdugger is usually right on but I am skeptical of that one comment which doesn't seem to comport with much other stuff I have heard.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
                            Well, that certainly brings us to the question as to why it was deleted at all, doesn't it?
                            Not really. Nobody cares.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Not really. Nobody cares.
                              I care. Very much.

Comment

ditto...
                                i just want to know about immune systems and the flu shot!

jess

Comment

Working...
                                X