Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP!!! Lost my sagittal balance.....did anyone find it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! Lost my sagittal balance.....did anyone find it?

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that I was slumping forward and that I needed to crank my neck back far to see. A few family members said that I "looked different". In the morning, at first I walk straight up with my head held high. Shortly thereafter when I walk, I begin to slump over and after a while I am looking at the ground when I walk.

Has this happened to anyone else....slumping over or increasing your sagittal imbalance in such a short amount of time?

HELP!!!!

Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

It's probably because of the broken rod. I wouldn't worry about it yet.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Susan, Saggital imbalance was my problem after my first back surgery in 2006.it started about six months after that surgery. Slow but sure. I had other health problems and had to address it first. It consisted of opening up my stomach to open the hole your food drops into. It was too small from a botched stomach surgery in 2003. Anyway,it seemed like after they split my stomach open, my imbalance got worse. Needless to say, I got to the point I had to hold on to anything to hold myself up. The surgeon that took my case in 2010 was a spinal surgeon~~~ fast forward.~~ the surgery didn't work, and to top it off I let him try to fix it. ( to no avail). He never used any anterior instruments and because I had so much scar
      tissue. I just went home and got worse and worse until I was bent over 45degrees and bent to the left. I had to use a walker Nd the pain was beyond trying to explain. I kept reading the posts on here and kept hearing how Dr. Lenke had a technech of reinforcing the fron of the spine from the posterior. He would slipp his hand under and insert the instruments in the right places.!! I finically called his office and was told he only took the nost serious. Wasn't a problem. Now it was set for Oct.29th.2012. It worked great. Like all of you the recovery took a long time~~~~ now this is where you will be really interested with this story Susan. AroundMarch of 2013 I fell really hard on my rush. And I kept falling. I felt some terrible pain in my lower back. The on terrible bad their and I started to tilt forward . And walking became harder. I felt like I couldn't stand up straight. I sent an X-ray to Dr. Leake and there was a fractured rod down by L3/4 L4/5. Dr. Lenke decided that it would best to do surgery right away, as he could see the Saggital imbalance getting worse, and he wanted to fix it before it progressed further!!!! It had been seven months since my first surgery with him. So on May 30th Dr. Leake took all the instruments out completely, and revised everything. It was a tough surgery because it was too close to the other one. But it worked and when I got home I did some revising of my medicine, as I felt it was the reason I was falling at night. It worked, as I am much better about walking in my sleep. I still take a tumble now and then. But not as hard .
      It has been two and a half years now. I can say I walk without any help. For some reason I lost 6 inches during all those surgeries. My hip bones are where my waist was. Anyway~~ Susanthis got awfully long, but I just wanted to let you know that Dr. Leake didn't want to wait one more day to fix thr broken rod as it was creating Saggital imbalance and he didn't want it to get any worse I hope there is some help in this post. Ask anything you want. Bye and good luck!!!
      Last edited by babyboomer16; 10-09-2015, 11:58 PM.
      Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
      Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
      This started adult onset scoliosis
      July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
      Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
      Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
      May 30th 2013 revision
      May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
      May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Babyboomer Linda, You are a wonderful teller of your life story! When I told Gayle about my sagittal imbalance, she immediately said, "That's what babyboomer had!" I said that I knew your story well as you and I had become scoliosis friends when you were so down about your collapsing and I sent you a card.

Thanks for re-sharing your story. You found some humor in your story after all. I am not sure what the outcome will be for my sagittal imbalance, but I dream of a possible PT/non-surgical option. Let me dream....

I have an xray and CT of the lumbar on Monday and follow-up according to what is found. I find it very difficult to shop as I cannot see any of the top shelves in the store. At home, I cannot see or reach any of the top shelves in the kitchen. I am already disabled by my spinal cord injury in that I am either in a wheelchair or on 2 crutches, but it is difficult to live life, as you well know, when one spends time looking at the ground. I was outside this evening walking on a path with fast speeding bikes hoping that I did not get run over as I hugged the R side of the path. I could not see the bikes speeding toward me and dodge them in time if necessary.

My #2 surgery [the emergency spinal cord injury from hardware pressing on my spinal cord with a 2 week delay in diagnosis] and my #3 surgery [redo of the thoracic hardware which had not fused and was painful and a broken rod] were 6 months apart. It has now been 6 months since #3 surgery and I need a time out for a while from having surgery. I am just beginning to get stable on my crutches and am enjoy some semblance of independence. I always fear that I will lose ground with another surgery....but then again, having my nose looking at the ground is losing ground. Seems that most recently, I am living my life in 6 month increments.

So, the next drama in my life will be to break the second rod, if I have not already done so. Needless to say, I will be eager to hear the results of the xray and CT and Dr. Hart's read on everything. All that I want in life is to get back to living it. I am tired of hospitals and physical therapy. When I dreamt of my retired life, I did not figure in such an intimate relationship with hospitals and surgeons and PT. I envisioned Bhutan, India, Fiji, the Cook Islands.... Walking with crutches or using a wheelchair does not work well in developing countries where there are no paved roads or white sandy resort beaches. I will be there someday, hopefully sooner than later.

Again, Linda thanks for sharing your story and for being supportive. I will keep you posted on my progress. I have new empathy for your previous situation with sagittal imbalance and I hope that I do not beat your record of time looking at the ground.

Susan, if you see a woman with 2 crutches, looking at the ground wobbling toward you, stay away!!!
        Last edited by susancook; 10-10-2015, 02:27 AM. Reason: I must have been an editor in my prior life...I always find something to improve/change!
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
          It's probably because of the broken rod. I wouldn't worry about it yet.

--Linda
          Me? Worry about it? You must be joking.....
          The broken R rod at L4 concerned [read "worried" here] me a lot, but a rapid fast pitch forward coupled with pain has me big time worried.
          When will "yet" arrive?
          S.
          Last edited by susancook; 10-10-2015, 02:33 AM. Reason: Trying to be more eloquent...hahahahahaha

Comment

Susan, You forgot Papua New Guinea....

Thinking of You...Let us know on Tuesday

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
              Susan, You forgot Papua New Guinea....

Thinking of You...Let us know on Tuesday

Ed
              Ed: PNG was a one time deal. I worked on a malaria eradication project. Afterwards, I toured around the highlands. PNG is not a very safe country and it is very expensive. Surprised me. Not planning to return.

I am currently working on writing grants in Cambodia and India and plan to do a needs survey for a future project in Fiji. I renewed my NP/RN licenses in hopes of continuing to volunteer in international health. After each surgery, I get to the point that I imagine that developing nation volunteer work would work spine wise....and then I find myself in more pain with another surgery and multiple back steps. I have probably come as far as I can with recovery of my spinal cord injury. For my age group, most of the recovery [some say 90% for us older folks] occurs in the first year with some modest improvements between yrs 1-2.

Thanks for yours and so many others well wishes.

Susan

I seem to have a "non-fixed" positive sagittal balance. I start out the day somewhat upright and the progressively bend over during the day. What do you make of that?

Comment

I remember your PNG posts now....and how thoughtful of you to do what you do....You might find this of interest, I know a little about Clara Maas since I was born at Clara Maas hospital. (smiley face)
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clara_Maass

Susan, you’re a kyphosis patient. Your testimonial here has taught all of us about the hardships of kyphosis or osteoporotic kyphosis. Its something I will never forget. I can understand how incredibly hard it must be to do repeated surgeries, and try to recover from them. You have my sympathy. The x-rays and ct’s will answer questions.

If there is any pose or position you shouldn’t do, its lean forward. If you feel yourself falling forward in the afternoon, I would lay down.

Has there been any talk on the subject of vertebroplasty or kyphoplasty? Just wondering if this is a possible option for those that have had hardware installed?

Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks Ed for your comments. Some of your questions should be answered by Dr. Hart when he reads the xrays/CT done.

Lumbar CT and xrays of back facing forward and side view done. The tech asked me to lean my back on the xray plate....and all I could say is, "the only part that I can get to touch the plate is my butt".

I walk leaning forward looking at the ground and other people's feet. I cannot bring my head up enough to see much. I left the radiology appt in tears. How did I get this way so fast?

Dr. Hart will call me at 2 PM on Thursday.

Susan

My husband has open heart, triple bypass surgery on Monday. I need to take care of home after his surgery. This was a surprise to us.

Comment

Susan I really don't know what to say, yet another set back for you. And now your husband having a triple bypass.
                    I know you have a supporting family and they will help you get through this. But I am sure there are times when you are asking why me, how much more can I take. All I can say I am thinking about you an wishing you and your husband all the best.
                    Marianne
                    rotoscoliosis, subluxation and spinal stenosis
                    Surgery April 15, 2015 at age 67
                    T11-L5
                    Decompression with multiple discectomies
                    Concord cages @ L2-3, L3-4, L4-5
                    Osteotomies and local bone grafting
                    Revision Feb.22, 2018
                    Replaced rods
                    Took out L5 disk to free up nerves
                    Used BPM to help with fusing
                    Fused T10-S1 with screws in pelvis

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                      I walk leaning forward looking at the ground and other people's feet. I cannot bring my head up enough to see much. I left the radiology appt in tears. How did I get this way so fast?

My husband has open heart, triple bypass surgery on Monday. I need to take care of home after his surgery. This was a surprise to us.
                      I really think it's the broken rod. I predict when that gets fixed, your sagittal balance will be restored.

Sorry to hear about your husband's bypass. When it rains it pours, huh? You have others who want to help. Reach out to them.

--Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Wow, Susan! You've really had a rough go of things! I go off the board for awhile and miss a bunch. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Can you have friends or family stay with you and your hubby? I know when my step-dad had a six way bypass he was only in the hospital for three days! The doctor told my mom not to baby him when they got home. I thought that was a little cruel of the doctor and my mom DID baby him some. She at least made him a bed downstairs so he wouldn't have to climb the stairs to go to bed. The doc wanted his activity level to be higher for recovery, but surgery hurts!

I didn't know you'd broken rods so many times. I knew that your surgery with Dr. Hu didn't take and you had a redo with Dr. Hart. But this?

I haven't had back surgery at all. The only thing I can relate to at all is when I get Botox on my neck and shoulders. If I'm already upright it's fine. But, if I lean forward, I can't pick my head up at all. Sometimes I can keep it parallel to the ground and sometimes it just sinks down. If I have to look up, I have to GET up. But mine's due to weak neck muscles and not broken rods.

As for morning being better and it getting harder and harder as the day goes by... I would think that your muscles are well rested and strong in the morning. By evening they just can't take the stress and weight of your body anymore. Does it get progressively painful throughout the day as you start stooping over? I feel really bad for you. I would take Ed's advice and lay down when you start to stoop forward. Maybe frequent breaks throughout the day until you get this resolved.

I would say stay well, but I will say get well!

Hugs and sympathies,
                        Rohrer01
                        Be happy!
                        We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                        but we are alive today!

Comment

My hardware has again failed me! I cannot believe that I have broken another rod!
                          A few lumbar non-fusions and a second broken rod, sagittal imbalance, stabbing back pain, headaches, and another surgery ahead of me.
                          Bummer.
                          Susan
                          Suggestions for a different life plan welcomed.

Comment

Dear Susan,

I am so sorry that all this is happening at once to you. I completely understand the devastation and fear at facing another complex surgery and recovery. It is just so unfair! Maybe the Pacific Northwest climate is causing all our broken rods??? Different rods, different surgeon, different pathology, but multiple broken rods suck no matter the circumstance.

I wish I had something really wise or witty to say to cheer you up, but I've got nothing. I am here for you though. I wish we didn't live 2 hours apart, but I will do whatever I can to help you and Mark through this rough patch.

Best regards,

Gayle
                            Gayle, age 50
                            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Susan,

I am so sorry

Melissa
                              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Working...