Doctors in PA area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctors in PA area?

I am looking for a good doctor in the Lancaster PA areas, Harrisburg/Hershey/Philadelphia/Baltimore anything like that would do. For a really good doctor I'd go farther! I'd like to be followed at this point. I don't think I need surgery now but I will probably need it eventually.

Thanks!
    Last edited by lrpfeil; 01-08-2009, 09:17 PM.
    Lynn
    Fusion: 4/1/74 at A I duPont, Wilmington DE
    Fused from T-4 to L-4
    (all bone/no instrumentation)
    Surgeon: G Dean MacEwen
    Cervical discectomy 3/02 C-6 C-7
    Current problems: L-4/L-5 pain that radiates to left side of butt, all manner of problems at this level

Hey,
    I went to the Rothman Institute in Philly (they're part of Thomas Jefferson University). I know Briarrose (she out your way) went to Dr Fras, I think he's associated with the Main Line hospitals. Hope this helps.
    Sharon
    2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
    surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
    Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
    5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
    5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
    6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
    (left open with just clear dressing)
    6/6/08 recleaned and closed
    3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

Hi Lynn,

I would suggest checking into Dr. Peppelman. He is associated with the Arlington Group and they are located in Union Deposit.

Because my daughter will be a month shy of 18 when she is due for her next check-up, I've made an appointment for her with Dr. Peppelman.

I'm not famiiar with the adult doctors at the Penn State Hershey Medical Center, but that would also be a good place to go.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

THANKS for the information!
        Lynn
        Fused from T-4 to L-4
        Current problems: L-4/L-5 pain that radiates to left side of butt, all manner of problems at this level

Comment

Hi,

I'm in the PA area and like Sharon said, Dr. Fras did my surgery. He's in Broomall and I absolutely love him. I saw Dr. Brad Weiner at Hershey a few years ago. He was nice but didn't seem concerned at the time. I also so Dr. Porter in Lancaster and Dr. Albert at Rothman. Dr. Albert did my aunt's surgery. She really liked him. I liked him too and he's considered one of the best. I just preferred Dr. Fras (extremely personable, kind). He was the first doctor I saw who took my situation seriously. Good luck!

Shell
          Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
          2003- 33 degrees
          2005- 37 degrees
          2006- 44 degrees
          May 2007- 47 degrees
          December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
          Fused T1 to L2
          Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

I saw Dr. Porter...once...it was NOT a good experience.

I'm looking for someone knowledgeable in dealing with people like me who have had LONG fusions...and may need surgery again eventually...hopefully artificial disc or something OTHER than fusion at my remaining unfused lumbar level.

So, to all who have responded, are these docs good for someone like me? With a previous LONG fusion?

Just checking. THANKS!
            Lynn
            Fused from T-4 to L-4

Comment

Originally posted by lrpfeil View Post
              I saw Dr. Porter...once...it was NOT a good experience.

I'm looking for someone knowledgeable in dealing with people like me who have had LONG fusions...and may need surgery again eventually...hopefully artificial disc or something OTHER than fusion at my remaining unfused lumbar level.

So, to all who have responded, are these docs good for someone like me? With a previous LONG fusion?

Just checking. THANKS!
              Sorry about the bad experience with Dr. Porter. I ended up leaving his office crying after every appointment.

Dr. Albert would probably be the most experienced with long fusions. I know Dr. Fras has experience with them too.
              Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
              2003- 33 degrees
              2005- 37 degrees
              2006- 44 degrees
              May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
              Fused T1 to L2

Comment

Originally posted by briarrose View Post
                Sorry about the bad experience with Dr. Porter. I ended up leaving his office crying after every appointment.

Dr. Albert would probably be the most experienced with long fusions. I know Dr. Fras has experience with them too.
                That guy must be a real jerk for both of you to dislike him so much! I swear, some of these doctors need a smack up-side the head. I'll put him in the same category as my former short-term doctor, who I christened "Dr. Dumbell".

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Interviewing docs in the Philly area

Lynn, I am from the Philadelphia area. I also had my back surgery: laminectomy, posterior and anterior spinal fusions with Harrington rods done at AI duPont in 1973 by Dean McEwen. I was involved in a car accident but underwent the typical scoliosis surgery. I have had virtually no problems for over 30 years until recently. I also have experienced the left buttock radiating pain and have been receiving injections, which have helped. My plan is to interview as many docs as possible before making and decisions about surgery. So far, I have met with Darryl Antonacci in Lawrenceville NJ, Frank Cammisa at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NY, David Clements at Cooper Hospital, NJ, and James Harrop, neurosurgeon at Jefferson Hospital in Philly. I have upcoming appointments with Dr. Tartarian a neurologist at Jefferson and Dr. Boachi at the Hospital for Special Surgery, NY. I recently had cat scans, mylograms and an MRI. My reason for all of these interviews is because Dr. Antonacci wants to completely reconstruct my back by essentially breaking my existing fusion (T12-L4/Harrington rods from T10-L5 Rt and T11-L4 left) using pedicle screws and cages. Pretty scary thought. He said that I would be out of work for 6 months , if I went thru the surgery. He does his surgery at Lenox Hill in mid town Manhatten. I would love to hear more about your situation and search.
                  Robinjane

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                    That guy must be a real jerk for both of you to dislike him so much! I swear, some of these doctors need a smack up-side the head. I'll put him in the same category as my former short-term doctor, who I christened "Dr. Dumbell".
                    To me, he was really polite but wasn't concerned in the slightest about my progressing curve. One of the doctors I saw for pain management was the worst. He told me I must have been dropped on my head as a kid. I then heard him making fun of me and repeated the same thing he said to me to one of his nurses. I was appalled and thankfully able to keep from bawling until I got to my car. We should start some sort of "Do Not Call" list for scoliosis people so they can avoid these situations.
                    Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
                    2003- 33 degrees
                    2005- 37 degrees
                    2006- 44 degrees
                    May 2007- 47 degrees

Surgery May 27, 2008
                    Fused T1 to L2

Comment

Originally posted by briarrose View Post
                      To me, he was really polite but wasn't concerned in the slightest about my progressing curve. One of the doctors I saw for pain management was the worst. He told me I must have been dropped on my head as a kid. I then heard him making fun of me and repeated the same thing he said to me to one of his nurses. I was appalled and thankfully able to keep from bawling until I got to my car. We should start some sort of "Do Not Call" list for scoliosis people so they can avoid these situations.
                      OMG I am speechless. I can't believe that any medical professional would say that. Someone needs to drop HIM on his head.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thanks everyone! I haven't check in here for a few days! Regarding Dr. Porter, I hate to speak ill of him but I also left there and wept! My right leg is longer than my left and he was convinced it was the other way around and didn't believe otherwise until after a series of rather painful xrays. AND he never admitted he was actually wrong. Then he essentially complained about how long he had spent with me (into his dictaphone in my presence) and then he insisted I come back for another appointment although he had nothign more to say. It was apparent that he wanted to get paid again for my "really long first visit" which only would happen if I returned again....He was NO help whatsoever and I just left there feeling totally crappy.

I don't think I need surgery any time soon. I would just like to be seen by someone who understands the complications of long fusions and could accurately assess my situation rather than wanting to rush into surgery.
                        Lynn
                        Fused from T-4 to L-4

Comment

RobinJane it is SO cool to "meet" someone who had surgery where I did, with the same surgeon around the same time! Wasn't that place COOL???? With the murals in the wards and all!!! And I believe Dr. McEwen was an EXCELLENT surgeon and I am thankful that he did such a good job on me! My fusion has held up very well. I think my only problem is the ramifications of having so much of me fused, rather than with the fusion itself!
                          Lynn
                          Fused from T-4 to L-4

Comment

About a year ago I saw Dr. Cohen at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. He was ok. I have heard that his colleague Dr. Kebaish is excellent - great bedside manner, fabulous surgeon, etc....I will be making my next "watch and wait" appointment with Dr. Kebaish. Hope that information helps.

Comment

My 16 year old dd is seeing Dr. William Lauerman at Georgetown University Hospital in DC. He follows teens and adults. We live in south central PA about an hour from Baltimore.

Welcome to the list!
                              Marian

Comment

Working...
                              X