No announcement yet.

1-Year Anniversary - How time flies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1-Year Anniversary - How time flies...

This week has been a special and emotional time for me...not only am I 1-year post op but today I turned 30...kind of bittersweet. Overall things are still way better than before surgery but I am still living with some aches and pains on a daily basis, but in general, I cannot complain. My back, cosmetically, is still not perfect but it is a VAST improvement! In some ways I still feel deformed especially if I lean forward and see my back (via picutre) but I just have to focus on the positive and realize nothing's perfect. I am getting back to some of my pre-op exercise routine and I have been released to do whatever feels okay....which sometimes isn't much of anything but one thing I am learning is that I can often push things and overtime it hurts less. I am so thankfull for all your posts and support. I know I don't post a lot but I am still on here and read a fair amount. This forum really helped calm my fears about surgery and I don't know that I would have had the courage to do it without your help so thank you to everyone for your posts. I am going to make a more concerted effort to respond more often on here because I know how much it helped me. I know it is hard to find the time but it makes such a difference for others. Even though things are not perfect and I believe still improving, I believe surgery was the right decision for me because I did have severe curvatures and was in a lot more pain before surgery than I am now. I also hear popping and cracking sounds at times...but they seem to be completely normal based on everyone else's experiences. While it's tough thinking back over the last year and all that's transpired and all that hasn't, I do believe the worst is behind me and the future can only get brighter.
    Stay strong and if you have a chance ~ check out my 1-year pics.
    Laurie Anne
    Age 30
    Pre-Op Curves T68, L80, Kyphosis 48 degrees
    Post-Op Curves both around 10 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke & Dr. Kelly 12/13/10
    Gained 2.5 inches now 5'9
    PRE-OP Photos: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...urieScoliosis/
    5 Mos Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...s%20Post%20Op/
    1-Year Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...r%20Post%20Op/

congratulations!

on being one-year post-op. i wish you continuous improvements in the time ahead.
    30 y.o female, very active, considering surgery
    08/03/11 - 54 degrees
    06/2004 - 33 degrees
    Don't like hospitals

Comment

Deformed? Laurie, you're gorgeous. Thanks for posting, it is a HUGE help to those of us who are still awaiting surgery.
      Stephanie, age 56
      Diagnosed age 8
      Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
      Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
      Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
      Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
      Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
      Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Checked out your pics and you look awesome LaurieAnne! And you're feeling good too which of course is even more important. I can't wait until my son reaches his one year mark. I had a look at his scar the other day and it isn't nearly as bright pink as it was, more like a baby pink now.
        Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
        Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
        Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
        http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

A really beautiful improvement. Congratulations!
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

What a wonderful improvement. Enjoy your new straight body
            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

LaurieAnne--
              Congrats on one year! You look fantastic! I know it's different when you are only 30 but I'd give anything for such a good-looking back!! Wow. Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Congrats Laurie! Your back looks wonderful!
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Laurie,
                  Your new back pictures look fantastic! I know you will continue to feel better physically. I still have some aches, as well, but I think it just takes time for the muscles and nerve endings to completely heal. Thanks for sharing your story. I remember (way back) turning 30 and I wasn't thrilled either. I just couldn't imagine leaving my 20's. None of my other big numbers have bothered me as much, although I thought 50 sounded terribly "old"!
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Happy Birthday!

Hi Laurie,

First, Happy Birthday to you! I just turned 30 last month as well and still can not feel it or believe it
                    Congratulations on your 1 -yr post op!!! You look amazing after the surgery)))
                    Posts like yours inspire me alot! I look forward to reading more about your recovery and all the stories everyone posts.

If you don't mind, can you please share the type of pains you used to have before surgery and what was your main complain was before the surgery and what were your limitations. I also have big curves, although not as severe as yours were but candidate for surgery and lately have been expiriencing more pain.

Thank you for your update and may you continue to do well in your recovery !

Mariya
                    30 yrs, mom to two girls ages 9 and 7
                    8/9/04 - 18* thoracic and 42* lumbar
                    3/7/06 - 22* thoracic and 45* lumbar (38*kyphosis)
                    4/8/08 - 38* thoracic and 50-52* lumbar (54* kyphosis)

2007 - Scheduled surgery but cancelled due to no major health issues at the time.
                    2011 - Back pain, spasms, sciatica, difficulty doing any physical work/activities w/o following back pain and spasms. Revisiting surgery decision and soon to schedule a doctors appointment to determine the progression since 2008.

Comment

Laurie,
                      Your back looks great as does the rest of your body. Are you a swimmer by any chance? You have such nice broad shoulders and a small waist. Happy Birthday by the way. I think turning 30 is the hardest, because it means that now you are truly mature. Enjoy your youth and your new back. The years go by way to fast.
                      Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by mariya View Post
                        Hi Laurie,

First, Happy Birthday to you! I just turned 30 last month as well and still can not feel it or believe it
                        Congratulations on your 1 -yr post op!!! You look amazing after the surgery)))
                        Posts like yours inspire me alot! I look forward to reading more about your recovery and all the stories everyone posts.

If you don't mind, can you please share the type of pains you used to have before surgery and what was your main complain was before the surgery and what were your limitations. I also have big curves, although not as severe as yours were but candidate for surgery and lately have been expiriencing more pain.

Thank you for your update and may you continue to do well in your recovery !

Mariya
                        Hi Mariya,

Thank you for the birthday wishes! I have been an avid exerciser since age 13 so daily exercise (often intense) has been a routine for many years. Over the years I have had back pain but I could tolerate it and often just push on anyway. Well, the last year and half to two years it had gotten harder to exercise at my usual level due to increasing back pain. My curve was also worsening despite chiropractic intervention since age 13. My lung capacity was decreasing again making it difficult to be active and I was often short of breath just resting due to my left ribs and lung being compressed. I also had severe pain episodes in my sacrum. They would come on while just walking and stop me in my tracks. It felt like something came apart in my sacrum. I would try to slowly take a few step and usually it would stop but the 3 months prior to my surgery the episodes lasted longer and I had fairly constant tingling and numbness in my feet. So my activity level tanked in August 2010 and my surgery was Dec 2010. I found extremely challenging just to get through a day at work and I came home to bed. It severely limited my social life and was very depressing. Then with the coming surgery and not much I could do besides laying down, that began to take a toll on my mind. Looking back though, this forum seriously made the BIGGEST difference because I could talk to people who ACTUALLY went through it and came out better (at least it seems most do) on the other side. My pain now is less though I do still have it daily. I have not had the same sharp pain in my sacrum, it is different now and I mostly get it only when I bend. I am going to see an orthopedic at Barnes in January who specializes in sacral imbalances to see if there's anything that can be done. It is a VERY LONG recovery process but I still don't regret it. I have a new found confidence I never had before. You don't realize all the areas of your life scoliosis impacts or how bad things are until you experience better. I know not all surgeries turn out great, but I think a real key is getting a great surgeon. PM me anytime with questions. I hope I can help people just as I have been helped and encouraged by so many here. God bless!
                        Laurie Anne
                        Age 30

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                          Laurie,
                          Your back looks great as does the rest of your body. Are you a swimmer by any chance? You have such nice broad shoulders and a small waist. Happy Birthday by the way. I think turning 30 is the hardest, because it means that now you are truly mature. Enjoy your youth and your new back. The years go by way to fast.
                          Sally
                          Thank you for the kind words Sally ~ I have never been a swimmer, just an avid exerciser since I was 13. I learned as much as I could about health, nutrition and exericse and I just worked out on my own at home and stayed active in cheerleading in high school. I have had othe people ask me about being a swimmer and honestly it was a sport I never thought about before but given my 6 foot arm span that probably would've been a good use for it...ha! It is interesting how even when we think we have grown so much as the years go by we grow and mature even more. I hope this next decade is much better and I am really able to enjoy life.
                          Laurie Anne
                          Age 30

Comment

Hey LaurieAnne

Happy birthday and happy 1 year anniversary!

In looking at your “pre” photos, you had a large lower left bump, just like mine. That was our spine you know.....

You did the right thing. I can attest to the pain involved in waiting with large lumbar curves. I waited till I was 49, and my 40’s were painful. I know this now, since I became used to the pain, and now that I’m completely healed, I know what its like once again to be pain free.

Lookin pretty good there....
                            Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                            X