Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terrible neck , shoulder and upper thoracic pain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of you
    Melissa
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Counting the days! Help!!!

Hi, I am not too far from my May 9th date of surgery on my neck. While waiting for this surgery to happen , Im was walking along minding my own business, and I heard a loud pop, and a larg amount of excruciating pain on my right lower back. If you can remember, I already have pain on m y left side from two double fractured rods on that side. Well, I went to my pre op last week with Dr. Gupta and after xraying my spine he found two more fractures on my right side ( double rods ). But he still wants to go forward with the neck surgery first. He said that it is more serious. Although it isn't as painful as my lower back right now. I'm kinda of confused about his discussions, as he told me at my first appt. last Jan. that we had to do the neck first. So I went home waiting for an appt. date. Then his nurse called and told me Dr. Gupta wanted to know what hurt the most, and which one did I feel like I wanted done first. Well, at that point I had a steroid shot and couldn't tell which one to do first as the pain was under control. . But after having a telephone call on speaker phone from Dr. Gupta, we decided on the "neck" first. I was a little confused as to why all of a sudden they were leaving it up to me, as the I was told how dangerous the neck is. But I went along with it until the rods broke on my right side and the pain was really bad. I called right away and told him I thought I needed the rods fixed first because of the pain. His nurse called me back and said that the way he would have to lay me on the table to fix my back could make my neck even worse and more dangerous. I was confused again because of the earlier choice he left up to me. And of course then at the pre op, as I told you, he saw the new fractures, but still said neck first. I just wonder why at one point he was leaving it up to me if the neck was so dangerous. I was told, as I said, at the first appt. how dangerous my neck was because it was pinching off my spinal cord. Anyway, it is what it is, and no matter how much pain those rods are causing, we're going on with the neck. What could have happened,at what point, that he was leaving it up to me? Any opinions on this? I know the neck surgery is eight hrs.long and very painful from what I'v been told. So with the painful rods, I'm going to go bonkers. He won't do my back till I'm completely healed from the neck surgery. Months!!!! Anyway, that's my story, and I am not looking forward to all this at all. But I have no choice. Hope you all are hanging in there. At some point I will let ya all know how it's going? Any prayers are welcome!! So glad I have this group to vent to. You're the only people that know how scared all this stuff can be. God Bless each and every one of you!!!! Hugs to all, Linda
      Last edited by babyboomer16; 04-26-2016, 06:14 PM.
      Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
      Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
      This started adult onset scoliosis
      July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
      Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
      Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
      May 30th 2013 revision
      May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
      May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

The fusion surgery for the cervical isn't as bad as the spine. I am sure it can be tricky but the neck only holds up the head as compared to the whole body. I have a c4-7 fusion and I found out it helped so much that I was in less pain.
        I would also ask if the neck was in such a bad condition-- why did he let you wait so long. My surgeon allowed me to choose which first but at no time did he say that he couldn't accommodate the different conditions.
        Last edited by jackieg412; 04-27-2016, 07:40 AM.
        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
        Right scapulectomy 6/15
        Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
        To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
        Broken neck 9/28/2018
        Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
        Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
        Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
        Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
        Osteotomy

Comment

Linda,
          I am so sorry you are in so much pain and have to go through two more surgeries. Maybe someone can answer your question. I just want you to know that I'm thinking of you and that you have my thoughts and prayers.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
            The fusion surgery for the cervical isn't as h as the spine. I am sure it can be tricky but the neck only holds up the head as compared to the whole body. I have a c4-7 fusion and I found out it helped so much that I was in less pain.
            I would also ask if the neck was in such a bad condition -- why did he let you wait so long. My surgeon allowed me to choose which first but at no time did he say that he couldn't accommodate the different conditions.
            Jackie, thanks for responding. You can see why I'm a bit overwhelmed. By the way, I edited some typos in my post.(smiles). Anyway, that's how I feel about this whole thing. He totally had me confused
            Going from "I have to do your neck first because it could kill you" to " which one do you feel you want done first?" And like I said that was after a steroid shot and before my rods broke on my right side.So I went with neck. After the shot wore off and the rods broke, I assumed he would still want my opinion. And I agree with you, why did he wait so long if it could be so dangerous as he told me. Ugh!!!
            I will just have to go along with this. You just made me feel good knowing you had relief from you neck surgery. I so hope you are recovering well from the muscle transplant.Hoping you can get off the surgery merri-go-round!!!!!! We need a break~~~ good luck and thanks for posting.
            Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
            May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
              Linda,
              I am so sorry you are in so much pain and have to go through two more surgeries. Maybe someone can answer your question. I just want you to know that I'm thinking of you and that you have my thoughts and prayers.
              Thanks Karen, you always have my back(literally)! I appreciate your thoughtfulness and prayers. Hope you are doing well and getting ready for warm weather and golfing(smiles)!!!! It is cool here today and raining like crazy!Take care ~ I'll keep you posted on the outcome of my never ending sauga. Linda
              May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

I trust Dr. Gupta very much!

Hi all,
                I read through my last post and actually wondered if I typed it! Just want you all to know Dr. Gupta is such a nice man with a warm personality and he has a very subtle sense of humor. I sounded so negative in that last post, and I didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea about his credentials!
                I am very comfortable knowing he will be doing my surgery. Sometimes there may Be mix ups in
                which patient is to do this or that, Being a medical assistant to these high ranking surgeons has to rank high as far as stressful jobs!!!!!!! I am very positive he is going to Do everything possible to give me a comfortable life. Very warmly yours, Linda
                May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Good luck Linda. I think your surgery is soon
                  T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                  C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                  T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                  C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                  Right scapulectomy 6/15
                  Broken neck 9/28/2018
                  Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
                    Good luck Linda. I think your surgery is soon
                    Thanks Jackie,
                    I appreciate your message~~ I know you had your neck fused and so you know what lies ahead. Hope all is moving forward well for you. I 'll let you know how things go after May 9th!! Take good care of you!
                    Best wishes, Linda
                    May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Good luck. Hope all goes well

Melissa
                      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Go into it with positive feeling. This will help! After healing you will be able to move better then you think. You just can't put your head to your shoulder. But turning is just a little compromised.
                        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                        Right scapulectomy 6/15
                        Broken neck 9/28/2018
                        Osteotomy

Comment

Linda,
                          I'm sending prayers your way for a successful surgery tomorrow. Please post when you are able.
                          Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Three weeks out of surgery!

Wow!!! That was a tough surgery! I felt like someone hit me in the back of my neck with a baseball bat!!!
                            I feel a little better now but it is still painful. They cut an incision in front , right side of my neck, removed two dics(c5 c6) and put a cage in filled withBMP and bone shavings. Then they put a halo on me and flipped me over fusing me from T1 up to C2 doing a laminectomy from c2 thru c5. Is that clear as mud!!! I use tried to copy this from online records.Whatever the case it was an eight hour surgery. And I was in ICU FOR A DAY AND A HALF. I'v had a lot of surgeries,and have never got sick from the anesthesia, but not this time. I got the dry heaves as I had no food in my stomach. It was awful. But after all is said and done I am a couple inches taller. I have lost six inches in the past ten years, so I was glad to get some back!!!! After six months if I'm fused enough, Dr. Gupta will go in and fix all the fractured rods in my back.
                            Well, that's my update so far. Each day is a little better. But some days I feel crappy!!!! If you know what I
                            mean. Hope this finds those of you on here feeling well in body and mind. Sincerely, boomer(Linda)
                            May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Linda,
                              I have been thinking about you! I know you are still in pain, but it sounds like you have the worst behind you. I hope each day you feel a little better than the previous one.
                              Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                              Now 66
                              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Linda, I have stared at your post now a few times with jaw agape.....I cant imagine what this feels like....

I believe that Melissa is fused up to C2....

I hope you feel better soon.....

Ed
                                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                                X