Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does removal of the iliac screws involve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roarer, thanks for clarifying the halo comment. So, it is not so good.
    Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by dixiesmommie
      Thanks Linda. I'm going to make a list of all the pains and see what he says on Wednesday. I believe he is doing a left hip injection to assist in diagnosing. Will post what I find out Wednesday.
      Hi, I keep a calendar journal where I write down when anything happens that might be related to my back. I describe in detail exactly where the issue/pain/whatever is and it's characteristics. I hate it when I get to a doctor's office and someone asks a detailed history question and I can't remember the details.

Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Originally posted by dailypain View Post
        Oh my gosh. I use that term almost everyday. "Feels like I have a 2x4 right at the end of my scar on my pelvis or sacrum area.

Most times I say I can't bend over (which means very little bend over since I can't bend-more of a lean forward), because my 2x4 feels like it might crack. So my husband does whatever it was I needed for me. He does so much, I feel bad. He does almost everything around the house and other.

I think we do have something in common. We may be on to something.

Daily Pain
        (Karen)
        Oh Karen, maybe we should get a copyright! You are on to something , or on something....
        Susan2x4, catchy isn't it?

Comment

Answer to Linda

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
          Hi Daily Pain...

The ilium is not fused to the spine, so it's confusing to me why they'd be hitting fusion mass. I wonder if they were trying for the sacrum. Here's a photo of typical iliac screws:

http://www.scoliosisjournal.com/content/6/1/6/figure/F1

--Linda
          Hi Linda:

Not sure why, but The following was on the Doctors notes:

..."A coaxial system.consisting of a 18-gauge outer needle a d 22-gauge 7 inch inner needle 22-gauge needle was then placed under fluoroscopic guidance, however, despite multiple attempts we were unable to access the right L5-S1 foraminal region due to the large volume of overlying bone graft material...."

.?
          Daily Pain
          (Karen)

Comment

Originally posted by dailypain View Post
            Hi Linda:

Not sure why, but The following was on the Doctors notes:

..."A coaxial system.consisting of a 18-gauge outer needle a d 22-gauge 7 inch inner needle 22-gauge needle was then placed under fluoroscopic guidance, however, despite multiple attempts we were unable to access the right L5-S1 foraminal region due to the large volume of overlying bone graft material...."

.?
            Daily Pain
            (Karen)
            They weren't trying to inject at the iliac bolt site. I think the typical diagnosis is that the surgeon pushes right over the site of the head of the iliac bolt/screw. If it's painful, they can do a local injection (no fluoroscopy needed) to see if it helps.
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda,

I am going on one year post op now and still in horrible left sided pain. My doctor is a four hour drive away. He sent me to his pain management partner who did si joint injection that helped for a day. Then did an RFA lumbar (why lumbar still baffles me when si joint worked a bit). I just went back to pain management who suggested another si injection. Can't imagine why I would spend that money and take a four hour drive for a day's worth of pain relief. I transferred my pain management to closer to home for future visits. I get very few answers from my doctors. Seems like they are always in a hurry to get to the next patient. I have to take the four hour ride in Sept for my 1 year follow up. Is there anything I should specifically ask about regarding this constant left sided pain? If surgery is suggested for the si joint what are your thoughts, experiences? I know you previously mentioned there is not a high successful rate. Could a change of position of the illiac screw hold my si joint better? I am in so much pain and very confused and frustrated with the lack of answers from doctors. Hopefully you can give me some suggestions of questions to ask. Thank you so much for all your support and help through this long road.

Good luck and I hope you find some relief

Melissa
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Hi Linda,

I am going on one year post op now and still in horrible left sided pain. My doctor is a four hour drive away. He sent me to his pain management partner who did si joint injection that helped for a day. Then did an RFA lumbar (why lumbar still baffles me when si joint worked a bit). I just went back to pain management who suggested another si injection. Can't imagine why I would spend that money and take a four hour drive for a day's worth of pain relief. I transferred my pain management to closer to home for future visits. I get very few answers from my doctors. Seems like they are always in a hurry to get to the next patient. I have to take the four hour ride in Sept for my 1 year follow up. Is there anything I should specifically ask about regarding this constant left sided pain? If surgery is suggested for the si joint what are your thoughts, experiences? I know you previously mentioned there is not a high successful rate. Could a change of position of the illiac screw hold my si joint better? I am in so much pain and very confused and frustrated with the lack of answers from doctors. Hopefully you can give me some suggestions of questions to ask. Thank you so much for all your support and help through this long road.
                Hi...

I don't really know much about it. The pelvic screw isn't meant to "hold" the SI joint. Removing the pelvic screw(s) is usually an option starting about 1 year postop.

If you can find a good physical therapist, you might find some help from that modality.

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                  Hi...

I don't really know much about it. The pelvic screw isn't meant to "hold" the SI joint. Removing the pelvic screw(s) is usually an option starting about 1 year postop.

If you can find a good physical therapist, you might find some help from that modality.

Regards,
                  Linda
                  Linda, I do have a good PT. The section of my lower back that hurts is in my sacral area. I do not feel any discomfort when I push on the area, but have a sensation of tightening which gets worse over the progression of the day. The tightening sensation increases with walking, especially walking uphill. Suggestions?
                  Susan

Comment

Working...
                  X