No announcement yet.

Hi to all my old friends from '08, Chihuahua Mama needs revision surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aha! That's whose name I could not think of! So glad you checked, Chris, and added all that info.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by Chihuahua Mama View Post
      Diane,

I'm truly working on it!! I'm looking for a church so I can make some friends. If I keep yearning for Cali and fresh fruit and strawberry fields and the ocean and mountains and the desert and.....OMG I need to stop.

It is not a pretty state, but it's where I am so I'm trying to focus on the people. Hopefully, once I'm done with my surgery I can go to some of the places I only hear about. Fortunately, my daughter's in-laws are an enormous family that has welcomed me as if I were one of their own - so I focus on the good stuff.

Now if people would stop trying to kill me on the roads, I'd be super happy!! Ha Ha!

Oh, the surgeons were Dr. An (but he won't do revisions), Dr. Chris DeWald and Dr. Purnendo Gupta. More on DeWald after I meet him.

P.S. The Bears suck and who cares about Hockey. Every other person around wears a jersey around here, I swear. Okay, that was a bit mean.......
      Susan,

Hi..I'm sorry I'm so slow with a reply. First off, thanks for the three names. DeWald is on my list for a third surgical opinion. And hopefully, the last. But, you never know, I might just need a fourth!

The honest truth about Chicago: Yes, we all drive like maniacs, me included and possibly at the top of the list. The hockey/football jerseys are obnoxious but all my boys wear them, husband included. The weather STINKS, so we really know how to enjoy the good days, no matter the season. Pretty much like back pain, we really know how to enjoy those pain free days!! Not one person who lives in Chicago doesn't come back from vacation and says "Why on earth do we live here???" The answer: jobs, family, friends, bad habit! I have a brother who lives in Key West and right about now I hate him!!

Hope your meeting with Dr. DeWald goes well.

Diane

Comment

While I have not had Dr Gupta as a surgeon I have heard good things about him. In the Chicago area I was not pleased with the spine doctors at Loyola. As far as the area---- it leaves a whole lot to be desired,but the city of Chicago is beautiful and well maintained as far as big cities go. The weather keeps you on your toes. People are friendly but we do seem to have way too many murders. I live south of the city in a small suburb but the city is fascinating.
        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
        Right scapulectomy 6/15
        Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
        To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
        Broken neck 9/28/2018
        Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
        Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
        Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
        Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
        Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
          While I have not had Dr Gupta as a surgeon I have heard good things about him. In the Chicago area I was not pleased with the spine doctors at Loyola. As far as the area---- it leaves a whole lot to be desired,but the city of Chicago is beautiful and well maintained as far as big cities go. The weather keeps you on your toes. People are friendly but we do seem to have way too many murders. I live south of the city in a small suburb but the city is fascinating.
          Jackie, Who did you see at Loyola?

Comment

Hi Diane, I saw Dr Alexander Ghanayem. I guess he was alright but wasn't too interested . I will say more in a PM.
            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
            Right scapulectomy 6/15
            Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
            To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
            Broken neck 9/28/2018
            Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
            Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
            Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
            Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
            Osteotomy

Comment

Hello CHRIS WBS

I'm glad to hear your story and the success you've had with Dr. Gupta, it's very reassuring. He is a calming type of person and I think I will need that.

Just yesterday, I had my second consult with Dr. Gupta with my daughter who used to be in spinal instrumentation sales. She has seen her fair share of spinal surgeries (all types and ages). She is extremely sharp, assesses people well, and told me almost immediately "he's the best surgeon for you".

Now that the right surgeon's been chosen, I'm getting terrified. So much more to think about......

1. I live alone with a chihuahua. I need to make my apartment "recovery proof" and be alone all day. I know Medicare will do a few things for you (like sending a CNA to help with walking) but I don't know how I'll manage at first.
              2. NO ONE will tell me how I will walk; what my gait will look like. Will I be robotic? Look female anymore?
              3. My daughter is extremely concerned that the L5 disc won't be removed anterior, but posterior and the 10 hour plus surgery will all be done posterior. She doesn't see how the mathematics of spinal curves, spaces, etc. will allow for a good outcome for fusion to the sacrum and good spacing when that one disc isn't removed anterior. I'm going to let her and Dr. Gupta work this one out!
              4. NO ONE will tell me what I can expect cosmetically, how straight or not I will be; or pain issues. I am cursed with an extremely high tolerance for pain medication. I don't know why, but I've always been this way. A dentist once said he had given me enough novacaine for a 300 lb man so why did I feel the drill? I hear Dr. Gupta is not a fan of pain medication after you leave the hospital and that calls for more discussion.
              5. I'm spending long hours trying to find a video of someone walking after an L3-sacrum fusion with illiac screws. Cannot find one.
              6. According to Dr. Gupta, I will have all old hardware removed, more than one osteotomy and be in ICU for probably 2 days, then to a bed, then after the first week up to the rehab floor for 2 more weeks. About 3 weeks or more in hospital. He says one year for recovery. The first surgery was 1 1/2 yrs before I recovered. I doubt this will take one year to recover.
              7. Oh, and the hospital? Northern Chicago. So hard to get to (Louis Weiss Memorial Hospital). My daughter won't be able to see me but maybe every other day or so. I'll be alone. Lovely. Not what you need for this surgery.
              8. Now I read that it's hard to drive when you are fused to the sacrum. I have a really nice Accord with only 65,000 miles on it and it's paid for. Will I be able to get in and out?
              9. Once I get home, my poor daughter! She has a 2 1/2 yr old, a husband and a demanding job. I don't want to be a burden to her. This backward state only has one home delivery service for groceries, unlike California. They have a horrible selection and outrageous prices. Another burden for my daughter. She and her husband do well and I know she won't leave me lacking anything, but I don't want to be - you guessed it - a burden.

I'm just starting to hate this whole idea. Really hate it. I've stayed off the forum deliberately to enjoy the holidays before a late February surgery but I can't turn off my head or enjoy anything. I'm just scared and I thought I was a pro at this. I'm not at all. Instead of online shopping for gifts, I keep thinking of long handled shoe horns. Argh!

At least the big decision has been made - the best surgeon for the job and I believe it is Dr. Gupta. He seems to have a good bedside manner and his staff is terrific and followed him to Weiss Hospital. That's very reassuring along with your experience with him.

I write too much. Thanks to everyone for reading (or not) this rant/poor-pitiful-me post!
              Susan
              XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
                Susan (and others) For some reason her name won't come to me at the moment, but the lady who was so reluctant to have surgery for quite awhile and then did-- and was then so glad, from Chicago, had hers from Dr. Gupta -- but it was at U of Chicago Hospital. Who can help me with her name.
                SusieBee, was her name Linda?
                Susan
                XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

You heard from her -- Chris WBS. (smile) Very nice and helpful.
                  71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                  2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                  5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                  Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                  CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                  10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I can address at least some of your concerns.

2. NO ONE will tell me how I will walk; what my gait will look like. Will I be robotic? Look female anymore?
                    Unfortunately, no one can tell you, as there is no "standard" when it comes to this problem. I think that most people would be unable to tell that the average person people fused to the sacrum is abnormal in any way. My gait, however, definitely changed. I do not like to watch myself walk.

3. My daughter is extremely concerned that the L5 disc won't be removed anterior, but posterior and the 10 hour plus surgery will all be done posterior. She doesn't see how the mathematics of spinal curves, spaces, etc. will allow for a good outcome for fusion to the sacrum and good spacing when that one disc isn't removed anterior. I'm going to let her and Dr. Gupta work this one out!
                    Are you talking about L5-S1 or L4-L5? It's entirely possible that Dr. Gupta plans to do a TLIF, which removes the disc from the posterior approach.

8. Now I read that it's hard to drive when you are fused to the sacrum. I have a really nice Accord with only 65,000 miles on it and it's paid for. Will I be able to get in and out?
                    You probably won't be able to drive until you're no longer taking any narcotics. After that, you should be OK. I don't really have any trouble driving. I get in and out of my Mini relatively easily. I need a pillow behind my back. In a previous car, I needed a pillow on the seat.

I think the one thing that you should be concerned about is your dog. Not being able to bend for the first 3-6 months will make it difficult to feed or pick up the dog. You'll also need to be very careful not to trip over the dog, and will need to use some sort of tool to scoop poop.

After my revision surgery (which was similar to what you're having), I came home and stayed myself about 10 days after surgery. I had neighbors and friends who ran errands and took me where I needed to go. I also used my county disabled transit service. Having groceries delivered wasn't a big deal. I wasn't eating much for the first 2-3 months, so I just needed basics.

Hope that helps.

--Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Susan....There are a lot of unanswered questions with all of this but you have done it in the past.....you’re a pro at this! Don’t let negativity and worry take control. There are a lot of positives ahead, try to anticipate your successful outcome....

On the medication question at the hospital, they really DO have the strong stuff, that I can vouch on....They up it a notch depending on procedure....(smiley face) My surgeon is a 6 week guy when it comes to precription’s after scoliosis surgery, and I’m sure many are like that. Simply discuss this with him, it shouldn’t be a problem if he directs you to someone else for extended pain management.

Dr Gupta is going to balance you out and you will be nice and straight after this one...the osteotomies are for balancing front to back, adjusting your lordosis to perfection.....

I don’t have a video of me walking but have one skiing. Does that count? He he My gait is just fine, yours will be too. We all have our slightly “difficult” gait days.....and its not like I’m walking the catwalk everyday...I don’t blame this on my surgeries, I’m an old skier that’s paying his dues.

The dog question that Linda brings up is interesting. Perhaps some sort of doggie vest with handle on top. You could lift him up on a counter with a hook device or grabber. They also have the doggie ramps that lead up to bed....

Years ago when I had my 32# cat, I rigged a catnip ball to a fishing rod and would sit in my recliner and “cast for kitty”. It was a great way to A) practice my cast B) keep the cat occupied. LOL It was like landing a tuna, let me tell you! All I had to do was strip a little line off the reel and he would come running.

Deep breaths...

Ed
                      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by danicaf View Post
                        Susan,

Hi..I'm sorry I'm so slow with a reply. First off, thanks for the three names. DeWald is on my list for a third surgical opinion. And hopefully, the last. But, you never know, I might just need a fourth!

The honest truth about Chicago: Yes, we all drive like maniacs, me included and possibly at the top of the list. The hockey/football jerseys are obnoxious but all my boys wear them, husband included. The weather STINKS, so we really know how to enjoy the good days, no matter the season. Pretty much like back pain, we really know how to enjoy those pain free days!! Not one person who lives in Chicago doesn't come back from vacation and says "Why on earth do we live here???" The answer: jobs, family, friends, bad habit! I have a brother who lives in Key West and right about now I hate him!!

Hope your meeting with Dr. DeWald goes well.

Diane
                        Diane,

What a sweetie! Thanks for that - I made a decision to stop dissing Illinois and I just failed; miserably! All of the above is true but you know what? My son-in-law's family is SOLID GOLD and they have welcomed me as part of their family.

I am so lucky to have relocated to a place where people love me unconditionally. It could have been so different - if my daughter had married a Chicago-an with a horrible family? I probably would have slit my throat by now, lol!!!

But, true to midwest hospitality and love they are amazing - a huge, loving Italian family that just wants me to sit down, eat, chat, have a glass of wine, whatever. I'm blessed, and that's the truth.

Thanks for reminding me, Diane.

Merry Christmas!
                        Susan

Comment

SusieBee and Ed and Diane and Linda Racine

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
                          You heard from her -- Chris WBS. (smile) Very nice and helpful.
                          You'll never believe this - I think I've talked to her on the phone (smiley face). She was very kind and told me to call her with any questions. I still have her number (another smiley face)

Ed! You are just the most positive person! I think you are not the norm, I suspect you prepared early (the weight thing) you were younger, and you had the one surgery. You got a great result probably in part to your lifestyle (skiing) and attitude.

I'll take your advice and breathe..... Even Dr. Gupta mentioned very kindly I needed some time to 'wrap my head around this' as he put it. There isn't a rush, it's just how long I can tolerate the pain I have. I just want to be well into recovery by the time my daughter has another baby, that's why I feel a need to get this done. But this is about me, my body, and getting that positive result. So I'll breathe......

Diane,

Another name was also mentioned to me, Dr. Steven Madjeski? Majerski...something like that. Unfortunately the name I wrote down is in my Xray files I gave to Dr. Gupta. Try some searches for spine revision surgery specialists, I found only 3 qualified to do mine and I was told I was in the top 5% of complicated surgeries (yay me). It's a matter of fit and comparing their approaches. Dr. DeWald had an entirely different idea about my surgery and it didn't suit me. Not to say he's not perfectly qualified, he certainly is busy he was booked through April, 2015.

Linda,

Thanks for being utterly honest about the gait. My daughter said something similar ("you will never be happy with the way you walk") That's why it's was sort of #1 on my list of questions and never answered. I used to have a nice walk (or so I was told) and I guess that's what makes me sad. I'm not 22 so I'll just live with the hope that I will be able to walk, because I'm not now. That will have to be enough. Also, I'm talking about L5/S1 that is the concern for the disc removal and cage placement.

And the Chihuahua? I am going to have to hire some neighbors to walk him initially or he'll simply have to figure out Mom's in bed and the potty pad is where it always is.
                          Last edited by Chihuahua Mama; 12-14-2014, 12:22 AM. Reason: correct information
                          Susan

Comment

I had a revision for flatback syndrome ~~ saggital imbalance my name is Linda

Hi , I don't live in Chicogo. I'm from So. Dak. My name is Linda. If you read my signature you can see what I went through and who my surgeon is. I was bent forward and to the right. Unable to walk without a walker toward the end. I was headed for a wheelchair. Although, unlike you I had relentless pain. It was 24/7. At first I found a surgeon in So. Dak. He tried twice to pull my body into balance. But what he wasn't
                            doing is putting stabilization from the front(anterior) of my body. And I would collapse again. He was afraid to open mr from the front because of too many abdominal surgeries already. I kept seeing Lawrence Lenke
                            doing this surgery all from the the back, he did a technique where he could reach around and support you in in front from behind , and so no need for another abdominal surgery. He was 13 hrs. from where I lived. He was my hope. And that's who fixed me. My first surgery was a success , but I developed a sleeping disorder from medication, and ended up falling hard in the middle of the night flat on my tush several times and fractured a rod very low down. That's why I had to go back in and have another surgery to fix the rod as I was unstable again. He took everything out reinforced me even more. I am now one year and seven months out.(I changed medication) so no more falling. Although I still have issues with pain, I am standing and walking without any help from canes or walkers. I have osteoporosis, I have osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia. The osteoporosis comlicated things also. But Dr. Lenke used longer , bigger screws for that. I don't know where you're at with your surgery, but you have to have the best with this surgery. It is huge. And it is one you don't want to have over again. Lots involved in this surgery. I Didn't get taller through all this, I got shorter. (5"shorter) dr. Lenke thinks I was born with scoliosis, but it wasn't bad enough to be noticable. I had that first surgery and it threw my whole spine into "adult scoliosis"onset. My spine literally collapsed over the top of the first fussion.in 2006.
                            All this may not be helpful, but I am here to tell you, "GET THE BEST DEFORMITY SURGEON YOU CAN FIND"!! You do not want to go through this more than once. And you don't want to live like you are now. I can't believe you don't have more pain than you do.
                            We drove to St. Louis I am thinking eight times now. But where would I be without Dr. Lenke. Just hope things work out for you I wish you the best. And stay possitive. This is doable with the right surgeon. Hope you enjoy the Holidays. You have a great support system on here!! Linda. PS I need to update my signature. I tryed and it wouldn't do it. Oh well, will try again.
                            Last edited by babyboomer16; 12-14-2014, 09:25 AM.
                            Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                            Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                            This started adult onset scoliosis
                            July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                            Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                            Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                            May 30th 2013 revision
                            May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                            May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Hi Susan,
                              I have been away from the forum for several months because I found it was taking up too much of my time. I remember you well and I am so sorry that you have to have a revision. My heart goes out to you. I believe you will be in excellent hands with Dr. Gupta. I heard him speak in Massachusetts several years ago and I was extremely impressed with him. If I lived in the Chicago area, he would definitely be on my list.
                              My comment on gait. Actually I think my gait improved after my surgery because I was finally balanced. Before my surgery, one hip was higher than the other and I was listing to the right. Everyone is different and I think you should cross that off your list of things to worry about.
                              Let the blessings of Christmas wash over you and enjoy the holidays.
                              Sally

PS: I am now seven years post - op and was discharged by Dr. Rand in June. Things are not perfect for me, but tolerable. I am so grateful not to have been in a wheel chair for the last seven years.
                              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Babyboomer16

Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
                                I kept seeing Lawrence Lenke
                                doing this surgery all from the the back, he did a technique where he could reach around and support you in in front from behind , and so no need for another abdominal surgery. He was 13 hrs. from where I lived. He was my hope. And that's who fixed me. My first surgery was a success , but I developed a sleeping disorder from medication, and ended up falling hard in the middle of the night flat on my tush several times and fractured a rod very low down. That's why I had to go back in and have another surgery to fix the rod as I was unstable again. He took everything out reinforced me even more. I am now one year and seven months out.(I changed medication) so no more falling. Although I still have issues with pain, I am standing and walking without any help from canes or walkers. I have osteoporosis, I have osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia. The osteoporosis comlicated things also. But Dr. Lenke used longer , bigger screws for that. I don't know where you're at with your surgery, but you have to have the best with this surgery. It is huge. And it is one you don't want to have over again. Lots involved in this surgery. I Didn't get taller through all this, I got shorter. (5"shorter) dr. Lenke thinks I was born with scoliosis, but it wasn't bad enough to be noticable. I had that first surgery and it threw my whole spine into "adult scoliosis"onset. My spine literally collapsed over the top of the first fussion.in 2006.
                                All this may not be helpful, but I am here to tell you, "GET THE BEST DEFORMITY SURGEON YOU CAN FIND"!! You do not want to go through this more than once. And you don't want to live like you are now. I can't believe you don't have more pain than you do.
                                We drove to St. Louis I am thinking eight times now. But where would I be without Dr. Lenke. Just hope things work out for you I wish you the best. And stay possitive. This is doable with the right surgeon. Hope you enjoy the Holidays. You have a great support system on here!! Linda. PS I need to update my signature. I tryed and it wouldn't do it. Oh well, will try again.
                                You are so right about finding the best surgeon, so I started out small and got the best names in the area. My 'dream' doctor WAS Dr. Lenke, but I would have no family support and the flight home would be hellish.

Turns out, My doctor and Dr. Lenke are buds! They do presentations together and I suspect he well knows Dr. Lenke's approach from the posterior. He (my surgeon) has a brother who also worked with Lenke and is in northern California.

I am so glad you wrote because I can give this information to my daughter who is quite worried about the posterior approach in doing the removal of the disc at L-5/S-1. Thank you for that. I do believe I have the best right now. I don't think that 4 1/2 hour drive to St. Louis would give me a better surgeon after all, and I'm very comfortable with who I have chosen. Also, I am lucky that I have just barely the tiny-est suggestion of osteoporosis and my T score is pretty good. I'm hoping for an inch at least but I also want plastic surgery, a Louis Vuitton bag, a Pottery Barn home but we can't have it all, right? (I just want to be straight and walk).

Thanks Linda for the information and well wishes. Best to you too
                                Susan

Comment

Working...
                                X